2013 SuperCoach Player Profile: Joel Selwood

Started by TheAnt, November 28, 2012, 08:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAnt

Joel Selwood

Type:
He played like a veteran from his very first year and his continued his build towards the absolute elite status. He already has 3 premierships under his belt, and is now the captain of a very succesful Geelong team coming towards the end of it's era. Selwood is known as one of the courageous players in the AFL and he follows up his contested ball winning skills by being damaging on the outside with precise kicking. Say what you want about his 'ducking' but I believe he is one of the most if not the most courageous player in the game.

FanPlanner Price: 625,200
Position: C
Stats:
5th in AFL for clearances (average)
11th in contested possesions (average
2012 Supercoach Average: 117.4
Highscores: 154 v Carlton, 144 v Richmond, 149 v Port Adelaide
Up until round 17 he had not dropped below 100 once.

Thoughts:
Selwood is highly SuperCoach relevant and is aided by the fact that his Supercoach average is 14 higher then his Dreamteam. I see next year as the time he really has to stamp himself as the best of the best and pull big scores. If Geelong are to have one last title run Selwood will lead the way. I have not seen him in too many teams to date and is someone you should strongly consider.

Verdict:
Not in my team, but pick him and you won't regret him. For me, he may be an upgrade target if he's flying.

2013 SuperCoach Score Prediction: 122

shorty3264

good write up mate. He is a gun, leads from the front in that Geelong midfield, the way he tackles and wins the contested ball, he is a Supercoach jet.

SydneyRox

Will come under consideration for my team, just not sure I can find him a spot for certain

Adamant

Extremely consistent, an upgrade target for me. :)

quinny88

Yea very consistant, took him a long time to drop below 100 for the first time last season.
Probably wont start with him this year but he's always a solid choice

ronl

He would make an excellent point of difference.  I've got him in the "seriously consider" file.

The_Captain

Great reliable player. Will have him by years end.

Sabretooth Tigers

Great write up. He's in my final 6 mids, just a matter of when I put him in. Strangely enough that doesn't depend on his form but of Hamish McIntosh's. Don't think joel has played to a winning ruck  since Brad Ottens left, imagine how much better he could score if H'Mac is fit and firing !!! Cheers.

The_Captain

Yeh Ottens was decent! But a good midfielder just as easily sharks the better ruckmans taps amnyway..

nrich102

kilbluff1985

TheAnt

8 mids will see him in my team whether as an upgrade target or not now.

+1King

meow meow

A couple of years ago Selwood caught Lindsay Gilbee too high twice in the space of about 5 minutes then said "What are you ducking for? to him.

quinny88

Quote from: meow meow on December 03, 2012, 01:20:58 AM
A couple of years ago Selwood caught Lindsay Gilbee too high twice in the space of about 5 minutes then said "What are you ducking for? to him.

Biggest miss representation people make is calling Joel Selwood a "ducker" or saying he plays for free kicks.
He gets awarded so many free kicks because he is first at the ball and puts his body on the line. He is as hard as nails and is rewarded for it.