Main Menu

Bombers give Garlett draft hope

Started by kilbluff1985, November 23, 2012, 08:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/15454431/bombers-give-garlett-draft-hope/

Garlett urged to keep chasing his AFL dream

Swan Districts draft prospect Dayle Garlett gets a hug from mum Mathilda Prosser and step-dad Eddie Humphries.Picture: Ian Munro/The West Australian

UPDATE: Dayle Garlett could be offered a draft lifeline by Essendon after the Bombers confirmed today that the 18-year-old would be asked to train with them ahead of the AFL's rookie and pre-season drafts.

Garlett, overlooked at Thursday's national draft by clubs concerned about off-field discipline issues, remains in contention to be taken in either one of the later drafts.

Garlett was a star for WA at the 2012 under 18 titles, winning All-Australian selection, and played 11 games for Swan Districts at WAFL senior level, including two finals in which he kicked four goals.

Draft experts rated him a top 10 pick at the draft on talent alone.

But a series of off-field issues which started with losing his spot at the AIS AFL Academy and culminated with Instagram photos of him drinking and smoking, saw clubs shy away from taking him at Thursday afternoon's draft on the Gold Coast.
Garlett's manager Jason Dover refused to comment about whether or when Garlett would join the Bombers for training when contacted today.

Mentors were last night urging Swan Districts teenager Garlett to treat rejection as a temporary setback and a spur to show clubs just how badly he wanted to play in the AFL.

Garlett followed the draft on the internet with Swans football manager Phil Smart at his WAFL club. Mr Smart said he had taken the news stoically but was "obviously very disappointed". He still has a chance to enter AFL ranks via the pre-season and rookie drafts.

"He is a quality kid and a quality player from a quality family," he said. "He has to show that to people by his actions and once he does that to people, he will get his opportunity."

Speaking before the draft, Garlett said a picture of him relaxing with a drink and a cigarette was taken several months before it was posted on Instagram on September 4, not days before he played for Swan Districts in a WAFL second semifinal against Claremont.

"At the start of the year I had some ups and downs but the past few months I think I have been doing well," he said. "I reckon I am pretty ready to play AFL footy. I would be happy to go interstate - away from all the drama of my mates in Perth."

Garlett's family rallied around him at the club before the draft in a show of solidarity.

His stepfather Eddie Humphries, who works for the Department of Child Protection, and mother Matilda Prosser are guardians for four grandchildren. They said they had been upset by the continuing publicity surrounding Dayle throughout the year. They stressed they were a good family and that Dayle was a good son who was popular with many people.

Ms Prosser said she realised that her son had hard work ahead of him to become an AFL player but the publicity was upsetting and unfair on her family.

"It makes me sound like a bad parent," she said. "It makes it sound like he has come from a bad home. He has always had a stable home.

"Dayle was a spoilt kid, I admit that. He was my baby. He needs a push and a shove."

Mr Smart said Garlett had had strong support from his family throughout his junior career. He urged him to be more "respectful" of the efforts they had put in to get him to the verge of the AFL.

He could not remember Garlett's parents missing a Swans match when their son was playing.

He had no doubt Garlett had the talent to become a quality AFL player.

"He has already got no doubt about what it is going to entail," he said. "The hard bit will be actually having to do it and if he gets drafted interstate not having that family support.
"He still has to improve in a lot of those areas, there is no doubt. But I am in no doubt that he can."

AFEV

Jroo

The kid is a gun, if you can sort out his off field issues he will be fine. Hopefully missing out yesterday is a wake up call for him

Ricochet

The ability this kid has is freakish, especially considering he has shown this ability while playing up off the field.
Hopefully being at an AFL club can straighten Dayle up a bit. If the Bombers can do it he will be a star.

silloc

IMO we do have the environment for a troubled player to better himself, and have a no bullshower policey. so i wouldn't be dissapointed if we pick him up.

Ziplock

I honestly think the best club for this kid would be sydney tbh.

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Ziplock on November 29, 2012, 05:18:16 PM
I honestly think the best club for this kid would be sydney tbh.

Sydney are too focused on Tippett for some reason, but I reckon we could shape him up.

Justin Bieber

Sam Col is now training with Essendon too and they look like the two who will take the last spot on the Bombers list.

silloc

So how many rookies can a team have now days?

Ricochet

Quote from: whatlez on December 04, 2012, 01:48:49 PM
Sam Col is now training with Essendon too and they look like the two who will take the last spot on the Bombers list.
Port have said they will take Sam

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Ricochet on December 05, 2012, 12:36:33 PM
Port have said they will take Sam
Apparently Essendon asked to train and Sam ditched Port to train with Essendon.

Andyesh just found out Port will take him.

quinny88

Garlett would fit well at Essendon. They have a lot of Aboriginal players which would be quite welcoming I would assume for a young Aboriginal player

AFEV

Quote from: silloc on December 05, 2012, 12:33:30 PM
Would be happy with him as well but we'll have to wait for his contract at Port to end I think... :P

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Sid on December 06, 2012, 05:38:49 PM
Would be happy with him as well but we'll have to wait for his contract at Port to end I think... :P

i am pretty sure we can have 4 rookies as our 4th spot is guaranteed to Steinberg

silloc

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on December 06, 2012, 06:22:10 PM
Quote from: Sid on December 06, 2012, 05:38:49 PM

i am pretty sure we can have 4 rookies as our 4th spot is guaranteed to Steinberg

Well thats what i thought, its gone from 6 to 4, but whats this talk about garlett then??