DOB: 26/5/1994

Height: 189cm

Weight: 88kg

Draft Selection: #46

AFL Club: Sydney

FanPlanner Price: $94,200

Position: Forward

Thoughts
I was very surprised to see Membrey slide through to pick 46, he was being talked about as a top selection and it shocked me that the dogs didn’t pounce on him with pick 21. He is a strong medium forward, possibly the one thing that held him back was his height, at 189cm he is not quite a key position tall. Nonetheless he is a dominant figure in the forward line. He kicked 54 goals in the TAC Cup and is a potent long kick and strong over head. Membrey stepped his game up another level come finals time, kicking four in the qualifying final, then a huge best on ground performance kicking eight in the preliminary and kicked four in a one point loss in the TAC Grand final. I’m a massive rap for this boy, I think he’s a genuine chance to play round 1. He could play second fiddle to the young Sam Reid up forward  and depending on how they choose to play Adam Goodes and what comes of the Kurt Tippett situation there could definitely be a spot for him, either way given an impressive pre-season Membrey could no doubt add plenty to the reigning premiers forward line.

Verdict
Can he get into the premiers starting 22? He is ready made for AFL footy, a lot of Jack Darling about him. If he can impress pre-season he could be an absolute bargain, contested marks and goals could lead to some handy scores and will get the second or third defender. Job security will be the concern not his ability.

Prediction

AFEV

Is ready made for AFL but unfortunately for us has landed at a club where he'll probably only play a dozen games.

I really like the way he plays, will keep a very close eye on him this preseason and if he is named round 1 just may jump on, I suspect once he gets the opportunity he'll play well enough to stay in the side for a while.

Capper

nice write up shorty, i think he may get a game next year if Goodes or Reid misses a game

AFEV

Quote from: tabs on November 23, 2012, 06:07:29 PM
nice write up shorty, i think he may get a game next year if Goodes or Reid misses a game
At 189cm (although he does play tall) I'd say he'll be competing with Morton/McGlynn not Reid/Goodes. :-X

A third tall is something you guys kind of lack so really hoping a small makes way for him.

shorty3264

thanks mate. Yeh if he was drafted to the doggies I reckon he wouldve been a lock, but yeh might need some lukc to break into the side but if he does look out.

BoredSaint

If you say that the swans strongest side was the GF winning one, then surely Membrey would take Mitch Morton's spot..

Lock him in boys

quinny88

Morton did some pretty handy things in the GF so I think he will keep his position at least for the early part of the year.

kilbluff1985

even if named round 1 not sure i'll get him no job security

nrich102

would be a lock if he wasn't drafted by sydney

Adamant

Yeah, like above, cant see him getting many games at the Swannies. A real shame, would've been a lock at the Doggies.

Capper

Maca24

Disregard his height, he plays like a tall not a small.

theta

I wouldnt be surprised to see Membrey in some early games given Sydney play GWS and GC in rnds 1 & 2.  It's not like Sydney to play rookies too soon after arrival, but under horse they seem a little more open to this. 

I assume either morton or mcglynn would have to step aside.  After tippett arrives I cant see him playing, unless they wanna avoid being too top-heavy and drop pyke.

tbagrocks

Quote from: Maca24 on December 21, 2012, 03:33:12 PM
Disregard his height, he plays like a tall not a small.
How did all you XV coaches get him so early eg 20s dam you >:(

This guy has to challenge Stringer for a go at it, well Sydney need someone to come on and produce, Membrey is that man, in time he will simply over take Reid and the $traitor

Obese Arachnid

Yeah but look at his tatts! Swanny & Beamer may have some CHIT tatts but c'mon......