Main Menu

Draftees for 2013

Started by Ziplock, November 22, 2012, 08:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

no individual players were sanctioned from that issue- which was the correct move, since it's the clubs responsibility to ensure they dont cheat or break the cap, and to a lesser extent the players manager. The player themselves come last in the responsibility.

Still, that's neither here nor there.

Chopps

The player is still responsible as its their name signed on the contract if they have poor management that is their own fault.

Saying that adelaide has no culture or atmosphere and can't retain young players seems like more sa bashing..Good luck to the giants retaining their young players when some will leave for various reasons.

Ziplock

once again neither here nor there- you're comparing what happened to a guy when he was in a completely different role in the afl 10 years ago, at a completely different club, to now :S And if the AFL agreed with you, they would have imposed personal sanctions.

Yeah mate, well if you come onto the GWS board to say (not even imply) that our coach, who's undeniably one of the best, decorated and experienced coaches to ever participate in the game, is giving sexual favors to the head of the AFL for concessions, concessions which make logical sense if you think about them for even half a moment-

GWS and GC are the only clubs to start completely from scratch, and both of them, especially GWS, are in extremely non-afl dominated areas, and the purpose of these expansion clubs is to draw followers in these areas to afl... it's not exactly going to happen if you don't give them a leg up, and they  end up languishing around the bottom 8 for 10 years before they can try to fix their list properly.

Yeah mate, there's almost no way we're going to retain all our players. However, I'll tell you now, the giants, and the majority of giants supporters aren't going to be the massive cows about our players leaving for various reasons, unlike adelaide. Once again, to mention Hombsch... he's a very promising young key defender, probably worth more than pick 29, along with neade, almost definitely worth more. But he wanted to go home to SA, so the giants traded him to port.

The way you guys handled tippett and gunston leaving was atrocious- for instance stripping gunston of his award as 'best first year player, that was a super mature decision by the club. Having the gentlemans agreement with tippett in the first place wasn't right, but not honoring it was very poor of the club.

It was probably unfair of me  to say that you didn't have 'the atmosphere or culture' to keep your young talent. That being said, if you come on here, as I said, being a general prick to my team and coach, with no basis or cause, then yeah I'm going to get up in your face. If I'd gone on the adelaide board and posted groundless comments like that, I would have copped similar shower, except from half a dozen people.

Grazz

I don't disagree GC and GWS needed extra concessions zip in predominantly non footy states, they are/were required. I do feel however the two clubs have been given far and above what was warranted. In saying that how is the AFL to know what is and isn't required in order to breed success in the two states. Its a learning curve for everyone involved. Tbh id rather see them successful sooner than later for the betterment of the whole comp.

tbagrocks

What worries my more Grazzy is it is a detriment to the likes of the unfortunite clubs to be struggling at this point like Port and Melbourne!

Ziplock

Quote from: Grazz on November 28, 2012, 09:34:09 PM
I don't disagree GC and GWS needed extra concessions zip in predominantly non footy states, they are/were required. I do feel however the two clubs have been given far and above what was warranted. In saying that how is the AFL to know what is and isn't required in order to breed success in the two states. Its a learning curve for everyone involved. Tbh id rather see them successful sooner than later for the betterment of the whole comp.

as you said its a learning curve- these two clubs are the first to be made out of nothing... its substantially safer to give them too much rather than two little. It's just an unknown in their cases.

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 28, 2012, 09:47:56 PM
What worries my more Grazzy is it is a detriment to the likes of the unfortunite clubs to be struggling at this point like Port and Melbourne!
I think that's what the 17 yo mini draft picks were for- GWS needed picks, but they didnt want to hurt these struggling clubs.... so even though melb. gave up its no.3 pick this year, it's picked up the no.2 pick for next year essentially. Ports a little more concerning. I guess we'll just see though- remember the AFL reserves the right to hand out concession picks when deemed necessary.

Grazz

Quote from: tbagrocks link=topic=69564.msg 936397#msg 936397 date=1354099676
What worries my more Grazzy is it is a detriment to the likes of the unfortunate clubs to be struggling at this point like Port and Melbourne!

Yeh this is true but it wasn't like it was a shot in the dark, we all knew it was coming and we all are the masters of our own destiny.
Someone was always going suffer for the inclusion of GC and GWS you just needed to be sure it wasn't you. The Dee's more or less brought their situation on themselves, Port were just at the wrong end of the cue with talent and more importantly finances, not a good place to be when GWS were being developed, as they say this to shall pass. The AFL did what they believed they needed to do in order for GC and GWS to have success on the field sooner than later, if they had a crystal ball a lot of things would be different regarding concessions compared to what they are now. When you walk in unchartered territory its difficult to get everything right, im sure if the AFL had it all to do again things would be alot different compared to today but once the wheels are set in motion you cant go back. The AFL will ensure over time the ledger is ballanced have no fear about that.

tbagrocks

Not trying to dig at WS or GC (well a little) they both needed to add senior players, two mini drafts for WS but none for the GC :o like wtf? ??? anyway, WS needed to get senior players with these draft picks and they didn't, epic fail to WS. As the players, one by one will exodus Sydney, for picks or players yes but... they needed senior talant now, not when the great kids want to leave! (not having a go at you Zip just the AFL and WS management) (well maybe having a little go at you Zip as it is always pretty fun ;D)

But my point is WS and GC should have more senior talant and Port and Melbourne (hopefully the AFL reward them next year with compo) have had to suffer although, in the two drafts Port have gotten Chad Wingard and Oli Wines :o well done to Port Adelaide!

Ziplock

we'll see how well we hold onto these players- we have gilham, cornes and o'hailpin as senior players, not even counting giles, scully, ward, davis who aren't teenagers. Palmer and Reid as well (although their not exactly our backbone).

I mean, it's a very raw team, but even so.

I'm not entirely sure why we got the mini picks and GC didnt.

Was GC given extra draft picks initially or something? Maybe it was just because GWS didn't land an ablett? :S

I just looked it up their draft concession, they're nearly identical except for the mini picks.

my theory is that it was to stop the weaker clubs from getting screwed over. Since GWS/ GC were presumed to be sitting at the bottom of the table for a while, they would be getting the no.1 and no.2 draft picks, so by giving GWS the mini draft picks, it basically ensures that the giants dont get the no.1  pick the next year, instead in essence, the team they trade it to (GC, ADEL, GC, MELB), get the 1st/2nd pick the following year, while the giants get draft picks (4,10,2,3).

I think that's the reasoning... it basically gives us more draft picks, but its giving us a lower quality. So, instead of getting Omeara this year, we got hoskin elliot and sumner, and instead of getting martin next year we got O'Rourke and Plowman.

Does that make more sense? It almost weakens the giants rather than strengthening them- rather than super amazing 1st draft picks, we get 2 not as amazing picks, that we'll have to spread our cap over.

Ziplock

and you couldnt give these mini drafts to both gws and gc, otherwise you'd just get them trading the picks to eachother so they get the best players.

case solved.

now lay off us. :P

tbagrocks

Out of curiosity, why not go after the Magarey medalist who was actually delisted by the crows, Brad Symes, he won the Magarey and was a stand out in the SANFL also has played AFL footy, surely he has something to offer a team like GWS while they're developing?

Sorry mate (Zip) not trying to have a go at you, just the idiot Demetriou and his tactics to expanding the AFL, yes WS should have a team but so should Tassie, and AD should not be making that sort of money! In fact he should resign and hand his money to Port Adelaide, (before they go under :-[)

Ziplock

yeah, I didn't understand why we didnt sign symes either. There's still time thoough... :P

Chopps

I think the afl has done a decent job with the new clubs but time will tell I personally think gws has a better strategy then gc.

Zip if my memory serves me right gunston didn't just get stripped but wouldn't attend the award ceremony and went back to vic instead. This resulted in the award being given to someone else. I could be wrong though.

A gentleman's agreement is a two way street mate it was understood by everyone he was returning to qld so why shouldn't the club be Pissed when he asks to go to Sydney?

When the giants have taken a non afl player developed them into what they are worth and they walk out and not even in a good fashion. Ie texting team mates. We ll see how your supporters react if it's anything different to the crows then I d be surprised..Fans want players that repay the club and to act with some dignity.

So one person makes a jibe at your coach and the state and club he is from everyone is "scum",or lack culture and atmosphere, and I fail to see your reasoning for the sa bashing but each to their own.

My point with sos is its a bit rich to question our culture or call us cheats when you have a former afl player now gws staff who took payments under the table. It doesn't mean any less if he wasn't sanctioned it still happened.

Anywho your new draftees should be good :-D

Ziplock

Quote from: Chopps on November 29, 2012, 08:59:13 AM
I think the afl has done a decent job with the new clubs but time will tell I personally think gws has a better strategy then gc.

Zip if my memory serves me right gunston didn't just get stripped but wouldn't attend the award ceremony and went back to vic instead. This resulted in the award being given to someone else. I could be wrong though.

A gentleman's agreement is a two way street mate it was understood by everyone he was returning to qld so why shouldn't the club be Pissed when he asks to go to Sydney?

When the giants have taken a non afl player developed them into what they are worth and they walk out and not even in a good fashion. Ie texting team mates. We ll see how your supporters react if it's anything different to the crows then I d be surprised..Fans want players that repay the club and to act with some dignity.

So one person makes a jibe at your coach and the state and club he is from everyone is "scum",or lack culture and atmosphere, and I fail to see your reasoning for the sa bashing but each to their own.

My point with sos is its a bit rich to question our culture or call us cheats when you have a former afl player now gws staff who took payments under the table. It doesn't mean any less if he wasn't sanctioned it still happened.

Anywho your new draftees should be good :-D
I thought he was stripped.....

and we had izzy walk out- to be fair with tippett though, I wouldn't want to say it to the adelaide groups face- dangerfield looks like a mean little dog, and walker definitely has a shiv hidden in that mullet. Just saying, he mightn't have walked out :P

w.e, I just woke up, glad to see we're going back on topic :P We picked up the best key defenders possible in the draft, along with a utility and 2 mids, I'm pretty happy with how we're going.

ironically, ties back to adelaide, since I think we'll be picking up tippett now...

Mailman the 2nd

Just to add pointlessly to the conversation, Gunston did get his title stripped