Toga's DT Phantom Draft!

Started by Toga, November 18, 2012, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Only 5 days away from the 2012 NAB AFL National Draft! Who will be going where? Here's my two cents worth!

Pick 1 - GWS - Lachie Whitfield - Midfielder, Northern Knights. 184cm/77kg.

Whitfield is a champion midfielder who possesses a very well rounded skill set, and has long been tipped to be the first name called out in the draft next week. While a virus kept him down at last month's draft combine, this hasn't hurt his chances at all, as his talent was already well recognised given he won the Larke medal for the best Division 1 player at the U18 National Championships. Well polished off both sides of his body, strong overhead for a player with his kind of frame, and one of the best endurance athletes coming out of this year's draft pool, this jet looks a dead certainty to be taken with GWS' first pick.

U18 Champs DT Average: 99.5

DT Stocks: Obviously a high possession getter in the midfield, Whitfield will probably translate his high-scoring ways in the U18's to the big stage next year. Will be a good addition to your midfield, but will come at a hefty price tag. Given the amount of young talent on the Giants' list, there may be frequent list rotations, meaning he probably won't play every game next season.

DT alternatives: Toumpas, Wines, Viney, O'Meara, Crouch.

Pick 2 - GWS - Jimmy Toumpas - Midfielder, Woodville West Torrens. 183cm/78kg.

SA's state captain unfortunately did not participate in the draft combine due to recent hip surgery, but he excelled at the U18 national champs, showing potential suitors what type of footy they can expect from him. Toumpas played a pivotal role in Woodville-West Torrens' grand final victory in the SANFL last year as a 17-year old, and this year was awarded all-Australian honours after captaining his state. Notable characteristics are his ability to win contested footy in both the midfield and running off of half back, his tremendous work ethic, and his outstanding leadership qualities.

U18 Champs DT Average: 91.5

DT Stocks: Another high-possession winning midfielder, would also be a good addition to your midfield. Whilst there may be some worry about his hips (and therefore his durability), I think he should be right come the start of 2013. Again, given the amount of young talent on the Giants' list, there may be frequent list rotations, meaning he probably won't play every game next season.

DT alternatives: Whitfield, Wines, Viney, O'Meara, Crouch.

Pick 3 - GWS -  Lachie Plowman - Defender, Calder Cannons. 192cm/84kg.

Considered to be the premier key backman of this year's draft, GWS has shown increasing interest in him over recent weeks, as they wish to bolster their defensive stocks to help out Phil Davis, Tim Mohr and Stephen Gilham back there. Whether or not GWS selects him here will most likely heavily influence the rest of the first round selections. A player with terrific composure, a great contested mark and elite kicking skills, he will be the most sought-after defender of this year's draft. An added bonus is that, given his size and athleticism, Plowman can both shut down key forwards, but also play a rebounding role from half back if need be.

U18 Champs DT Average: 63.5

DT Stocks: Given he is a KPP, I would be staying away from Plowman for your DT. Will obviously take some time to develop in the big league, and given the Giants' recent recruitment of Stephen Gilham, I have a feeling we might not be seeing Plowman on a regular basis in 2013.

DT alternatives: Colquhon, Staker, Docherty, Ballard.

Pick 4 - Melbourne - Oliver Wines - Midfielder, Bendigo Pioneers. 188cm/90kg.

Oli Wines is a big-bodied inside midfielder who will most likely join his best mate in Jack Viney at the Dees next year. Melbourne's midfield has lacked a bit in recent years, hurt more so by the loss of Tom Scully last year, and so the addition of two inside midfielders in Wines and Viney would have Melbourne's midfield stocks looking far more promising. While his disposal efficiency can sometimes be of some concern, this is something that can be worked on.

U18 Champs DT Average: 98.5

DT Stocks: Said to be ready-made for the AFL next year, I expect Wines to be a ver solid DT contributor, and I have him in my early plans. An accumulator, much like Matty Boyd, Wines racks up the possessions, and like Boyd, his DT scores won't be affected by sometimes shonky disposal efficiency. I expect Wines to play more games next season than both Whitfield and Toumpas for two reasons: a) the Giants' rotation policy, and b) because Melbourne needs his presence in the centre square next year.

DT alternatives: Toumpas, Whitfield, Viney, O'Meara, Crouch.

Pick 5 - Western Bulldogs - Troy Menzel - Forward/Midfielder, Central District. 187cm/78kg.

On talent alone, the younger brother of Geelong's Daniel Menzel would be certain to go in the top three next week, however his dodgy knees has some clubs worried about his ability to stay injury-free. Menzel kicked 15 goals (9, 5) in two matches at the U18 national championships, showing his goal-kicking prowess. While widely predicted to go later in the first round, it seems that the Bulldogs have become much more interested in him, and rightly so given his immense talents. Will be a huge risk for the dogs, who really do need the added strength in their forward line, so hopefully Menzel's knees hold up and he can keep himself on the park. I have a feeling that the Dogs will choose Menzel over fellow injury-risk prospect Jake Stringer simply because the nature of Menzel's injury will most likely have lesser long-term effects.

U18 Champs DT Average: 127.5      (-may be a bit inflated given his two games were against weaker teams)

DT Stocks: Has a huge average because of the 15 goals he kicked in his only two U18 matches, Menzel looks the goods. While I have said that that average may be a bit inflated given he only played against two of the weaker teams, i still expect Menzel to be able to maintain a reasonably high average, and should feature regularly next year should he become a Doggie, given that they need some extra flair in their forward line. Is in my early plans.

DT alternatives: Stringer, Kennedy, Mayes, Morton, Staker.

Pick 6 - Western Bulldogs - Jonathan O'Rourke - Midfielder, Calder Cannons. 184cm/73kg.

A classy midfielder with good leadership skills would fit in perfectly with the Dogs' growing young midfield. O'Rourke's ball winning ability, along with his elite disposal efficiency and ability to kick goals from the midfield, would be very appealing to the Dogs, given that their prominent midfielders in Matty Boyd, Daniel Cross, and Adam Cooney are nearing the ends of their careers. O'Rourke's stellar performances at the national champs saw him awarded with all-Australian honours.

U18 Champs DT Average: 72

DT Stocks: Not a bad DT performer, but not an accumulator like the three blokes that I've already written about. While classy, he is not a very high possession getter, however may get games early. Guys of the mould of Wines, Toumpas and O'Meara should be considered over him, however, depending on who is named in round 1, he may be one to consider.

DT alternatives: Whitfield, Toumpas, Wines, Viney, O'Meara, Crouch.

Pick 7 - Port Adelaide - Brodie Grundy - Ruckman, Sturt. 202cm/100kg.

Could well be the steal of this year's draft. Still very raw in terms of football experience, Grundy has shown immense potential as an AFL-ready ruck prospect. Should realistically be picked by the Giants with their third pick, however GWS' recent interest in defender Lachie Plowman and ex-Adelaide big man Kurt Tippett has seen Grundy's top-3 prospects dashed. Given that both Melbourne and the Bulldogs have higher priorities from this year's draft, if GWS do not selecting him with one of their first three picks, there is every chance that he will slip down to Port Adelaide at pick 7 (or possibly even Richmond). Now Port Adelaide do have three 200cm+ giants on their list at the moment, however none have been all too promising, albeit because of injury in some cases. However Grundy's mature body, along with his ability to play up forwards as a goal-kicking target, will see him strongly considered by the Power. If they do not take Grundy, expect them to take fellow home-grown talent Sam Mayes with pick 7.

U18 Champs DT Average: 94.5

DT Stocks: Really depends on where he goes, and whether he is named round 1. Should he go to somewhere like GWS, I'd think he will play reserves next year (given they have Giles, Patton, Cameron and most likely Tippett to fill those ruck/fwd roles), but if he goes to Port, like I have predicted, he could well be a good pick up, as they lack a full-time talented ruckman, and could use another tall marking option up forwards. Definitely one to watch over the preseason.

DT alternatives: Daniher, Witts, Daw.

Pick 8 - Brisbane Lions - Kristian Jaksch - Defender/Forward, Oakleigh Chargers. 194cm/85kg.

Jaksch is someone who's draft prospects have soared in recent weeks. A tall KPP player with the ability to play at either end of the ground is appealing to Brisbane, given Jonathon Brown is nearing the end of his career, and that they are still undecided as to where they want to play Daniel Merrett (forwards or in defence). Recruiting Jaksch would give the Lions some freedom in the sense that he could be interchangeable with Merrett holding down an opposition key forward, or otherwise as a goal kicker at the other end of the ground.

U18 Champs DT Average: 72.8

DT Stocks: For a KPP player, that average really isn't too shabby! Should be given D/F DPP but given the sheer amount of B/F's we will have next year that shouldn't be too much of a deciding factor as to why to pick Jaksch. I'll probably be steering clear of him, given there are better defenders and forwards to consider.

DT alternatives: Colquhon, Ballard, Docherty, Staker.

Pick 9 - Richmond - Jake Stringer - Forward, Bendigo Pioneers. 191cm/94kg.

Another player who is hugely talented, and realistically could go in the top 5 if it were not for injury. Stringer suffered a horrific broken leg (see it here) but has recently got back into the action, and was able to participate in last month's combine. Possessing sublime contested marking skills (ranking amongst the top in the clean hands test), with a big body for his age, Stringer is able to play both as a tall/medium forward marking option who can kick bags of goals, he can also play stints through the midfield. Players of this calibre are quite rare, and so Richmond will be more than willing to take a punt on this bloke, given they have amassed a reasonable amount of depth in both their forward line and midfield in recent times.

U18 Champs DT Average: 29    (don't think this is accurate, but can't see why it shouldn't be. i'll research it)

DT Stocks: Is definitely another one to watch over preseason, as he is definitely DT relevant. The ability to be a high possession getter in the midfield, or go up forward and kick a bag (he kicked 9 in a game for Bendigo this year), he could definitely go boom next year, but his leg injury may restrict his game time. His new club won't want to push him or risk re-injuring his leg, so, depending on where he goes, this needs to be taken into account before locking him in. Definitely one to strongly consider though.

DT alternatives: Toumpas, Wines, O'Meara, Crouch, Menzel, Kennedy, Mayes.

Pick 10 - Essendon - Joe Daniher (F/S) - Ruckman/Forward, Calder Cannons. 201cm/89kg.

Will be an absolute force in years to come. Touted to be a potential number one pick if the Bombers had passed him up as a father/son selection, Daniher is a tall forward with the ability to pinch hit in the ruck. Essendon's coach, James Hird, has already come out and said that he expects big things from this young lad, pencilling him in for between 10 and 15 games in 2013. Whilst he may take some time to develop, Daniher already possess elite marking skills (primarily due to his leap and size), however his goal kicking is sometimes erratic and leaves a bit to be desired.

[U18 Champs DT Average:[/u] 92.5

DT Stocks: Will come with a handy R/F DPP next year, which could prove very important for coaches opting to go with Jarryd Roughead in the forwards. Pretty nice average for a big fella like Daniher is, Hird, as mentioned, has come out and said he expects a good 10-15 games from Daniher. There are probably better forward options out there, but depending on which ruckmen are named round one, he is one to be considered.

DT alternatives: Menzel, Stringer, Kennedy, Mayes, Grundy, Witts, Daw.

Pick 11 - Carlton - Tom Clurey - Defender, Murray Bushrangers. 193cm/85kg.

The Blues have a number of holes to fill in this year's draft, including the need for another tall defender, some added midfield depth, and even a tall forward. Given the abundance of midfielders that clubs can come across in drafts, I predict that Carlton will focus on other areas that need work with their first pick. Clurey was initially tipped to go late in the first round, but once Plowman, who is considered the premier backman of this year's draft, is gone, Clurey is probably the next best bet. Possessing great ability in locking down opposition key forwards, he often loses a one-on-one contest given his outstanding ability to mark or spoil in the contest. Also quite quick for his size, Clurey also possess the ability to create counter attacks with his rebounding skills.

U18 Champs DT Average: 49

DT Stocks: Another KPP Defender, if spoils counted, he'd be a star. Unfortunately, they don't, so he shouldn't be considered.

Pick 12 - GWS - Sam Mayes - Midfielder/Forward, North Adelaide. 187cm/78kg.

Mayes has developed over the past few years from a skinny medium-sized forward to a tall midfielder. Possessing freakish skills, there were a number of occasions during the U18 national champs that Mayes proved to be the X-factor for South Australia, particularly in his ability to kick goals from the midfield, or to sneak forward and apply scoreboard pressure on the opposition.

U18 Champs DT Average: 78

DT Stocks: If he slips down to pick 12, Mayes could be a steal at this price. Showed his DT prowess at the U18's, averaging close to 80 points per game, is definitely one to consider if he goes to GWS, who could use a medium forward to add another dimension to their forward line. I'd rate him slightly under other forward draft prospects Kennedy, Stringer and Menzel in terms of scoring ability, but will come into consideration come round 1.

DT alternatives:Toumpas, Wines, O'Meara, Crouch, Menzel, Kennedy, Stringer.

Pick 13 - Gold Coast -- Jackson Macrae - Midfielder, Oakleigh Chargers. 189cm/76kg.

Another classy midfielder with the ability to apply scoreboard pressure when moved up forwards. Macrae possess elite short-range kicking skills, along with a great pair of hands, and overall, terrific disposal efficiency. Would add class to the Suns' already talented midfield, which will, given the addition of Jack Martin to the line-up in 2014, will be a force to be reckoned with in a few years time.

U18 Champs DT Average: 87.8

DT Stocks: Classy midfielder with a surprisingly high average for what I expected from him. Will be a good addition to the Sun's midfield, but I'd still choose someone like Wines, O'Meara or Toumpas over him. Given his slighter frame compared to some of the other blokes out there, I also expect that he might start his career in the forward line, potentiall restricting his DT scoring a bit.

DT alternatives:Whitfield, Toumpas, Wines, Viney, O'Meara, Crouch.

Pick 14 -  GWS - Dayle Garlett - Midfielder, Swan Districts. 181cm/75kg.

Widely touted to be one of the best talents in this year's draft, Garlett's draft prospects were hurt after an indiscretion saw him booted from the AFL AIS Academy. While he has vowed to get himself back on track in order to fulfil his dream of becoming an AFL footballer, there is still some risk involved with his selection. However, this is a risk that I am sure the Giants feel as though they can take - with an already budding midfield the inclusion of Garlett in the team would provide a bit of extra depth for the midfield, but also add to the team a small crumbing forward who can be damaging around goals.

U18 Champs DT Average: 82.6

DT Stocks: Another one to consider in the midfield, but still doesn't average as high as some of the other blokes. Again, I would consider Wines and Toumpas over him, but should your salary cap be an issue (and you can't afford those top-tier prospects), Garlett is definitely one to look at as midfield cover! My worry is that he will be a perfect sub candidate next year, given he is a stocky midfielder of the mould of super sub David Rodan, who could come on late in the game and add some flair to his team.

Toga

Pick 15 - North Melbourne - Ben Kennedy - Midfielder/Forward, Glenelg. 174cm/76kg.

An exciting small forward with ability to play in the midfield, Kennedy was unlucky not to be picked up by the Crows last year as their Mini-Draft pick, who they instead used on Brad Crouch. Watching some Glenelg games earlier this year, it is obvious that Kennedy will be a star in the future - he is explosive out of packs, and is very dangerous around goals, and will more than likely become a more than handy replacement of ex-skipper Boomer Harvey in years to come!

U18 Champs DT Average: 98

DT Stocks: If Kennedy slips down to the Roos, he will certainly be in my team come next year given that Boomer will be sitting out the first six rounds of 2013. Almost the same build as Harvey, Kennedy will be able to slip straight into the Roos lineup, and will almost be ready for upgrading by the time Boomer is back in the team. Very solid DT scorer, it would be an added bonus if he recieved C/F DPP status.

DT alternatives: Stringer, Menzel, Mayes, Morton, Staker.

Pick 16 - Geelong - Nick Vlastuin - Midfielder/Defender, Northern Knights. 187cm/86kg.

It was hard to pick were Vlastuin would go in the draft - he is a talented young footballer with tremendous leadership skills, and is a strong body that can be used off of half back or through the midfield. While he can be used in the midfield, he is considered to be a bit slow for this position, however his contested style of play would certainly add another dimension to the Cats' midfield or half back lines, given these positions are currently held by ageing players. Vlastuin is one that could well go higher in the draft.

U18 Champs DT Average: 65.2

DT Stocks: While he is a very talented leader, Vlastuin's gamestyle does not really suit DT, and therefore shouldn't be considered by coaches.

Pick 17 - Fremantle - Mason Shaw - Forward, South Fremantle. 198cm/92kg.

A bustling, big bodied CHF, Shaw was dominant in the WAFL this year for his club South Fremantle. Pav isn't getting any younger, so a young, home-grown talent that will be able to take over Pav's position in a few years would be perfect for the Dockers. Good, young KPP's are hard to come by, but this kid is certainly one of them - if he can regain his confidence after requiring facial surgery after an off the ball incident with WCE's Mitch Brown, he is sure to be a star in a few years time.

U18 Champs DT Average: 44.2

DT Stocks: Another KPP prospect, will be a handy replacement for Pav in years to come, but probably won't feature regularly next year until he regains his confidence. Better options out there.

Pick 18 - Collingwood - Josh Simpson - Midfielder, East Fremantle. 184cm/73kg.

A small, speedy midfielder, Simpson is a lively player that is sure to prove many memorable moments in years to come, including hangers like [this one. His main strengths are his ability to run and carry, his ability to sneak forward and be dangerous around goals, and his silky skills. Would add another dimension to Collingwood's midfield, which at present is reasonably one-paced.

U18 Champs DT Average: 64.7

DT Stocks: Very talented young man, but again, there are better options out there for the midfield.

Pick 19 - Collingwood - Tim Membrey - Forward, Gippsland Power. 188cm/87kg.

As others have stated, an obvious reason for Membrey being a good fit at the Pies is the artwork that he sports on his left arm. But tatts aside, Membrey is a big bodied medium forward that requires close attention from opposition key defenders. Would add another dimension to Collingwood's forward line that already contains star forward Travis Cloke (when he's on song), and a host of small crumbing forwards that have been one of the recipes to Collingwood's success. Membrey was dominant all year for the Gippsland power, almost taking them to a Premiership, however was pipped on the line by a point kicked by Jackson Macrae. Also has the potential to move up into the midfield in a few years time when he has developed an adequate fitness base.

U18 Champs DT Average: 54.5

DT Stocks: Another KPP of sorts, has a big enough body to feature early next year, however his fitness base probably needs improving before he plays consistently. Not a high enough DT scorer to be considered for your team.

Pick 20 - Adelaide - Tanner Smith - Defender, North Ballarat Rebels. 194cm/83kg.

Adelaide could go for one of two things here: a key defender, to help out Daniel Talia and to replace Truck in a few years when he retires, or a key forward to replace Kurt Tippett's presence in attack and to take pressure off of Tex Walker (which will be important for the Crows' success next year. Given that the Crows have a number of players waiting in the wings to take Tippett's spot, including Ricky Henderson, Josh Jenkins and Shaun McKernan, I think they will go for a key defender with their first pick. With Plowman and Clurey likely to go early in the draft, it looks like Tanner Smith will be their best option. Smith possesses a a great ability to read the play, and is a great spoiler of the footy, he has proven his ability to shut down opposition key forwards in the U18 national championships. While very athletic, Smith is currently a little undersized to be able to match it with AFL power forwards, so will need to spend the next couple of years working on his building frame.

U18 Champs DT Average: 57.7

DT Stocks: Another KPP, like Clurey, shouldn't come into considerations for your DT.

Pick 21 - Collingwood - Jesse Lonergan - Midfielder, Launceston. 183cm/86kg.

Collingwood could well take another midfielder with their third first-round pick here, with Lonergan a likely pick. Lonergan is a big-bodied tough inside midfielder, displaying great aggression at the footy, and knows how to win his own football. Lonergan is deceptively quick and has a great leap for his build, and will add nicely to Collingwood's next-tier midfielders.

U18 Champs DT Average: 79

DT Stocks: Has the body to be able to feature early next year, however given the depth of Collingwood's midfield I don't expect him to play regularly until at least Dane Swan retires. Better options.

Pick 22 - Western Bulldogs - Sam Colquhoun - Defender, Central District. 179cm/72kg.

Colquhon is a running defender who averaged close to 30 disposals a game in the national champs. A fantastic reader of the play, Colquhon also possesses the ability to either play shut down roles on small forwards, or play rebounding roles off of half back. Has a sensational work ethic, he will be a more than worthy replacement for retired defenders Ryan Hargrave and Lindsay Gilbee.

U18 Champs DT Average: 99.8

DT Stocks: Very promising in terms of both DT and talent, I expect Colquhon to play games early should he be drafted by the Doggies. Will most likely start as my D8, he showed his DT prowess in the U18's, averaging close to 100 ppg. Lock him in!

DT alternatives: Ballard, Docherty, Staker.

Pick 23 - Sydney Swans - Tim O'Brien - Forward, Glenelg. 194cm/81kg.

After the Swans spent their entire trading period focussed on gaining the services of ex-Crow Kurt Tippett, in the hope of bolstering their tall forward stocks and not getting him in the end, it is likely that they will chase a tall forward to help out young gun Sam Reid next year. Tim O'Brien, who has been a late bolter in this years draft, could well be a worthy candidate if the Crows don't snare him with pick 20. O'Brien is an agile and speedy key forward, with the ability to both be a marking, goal kicking target, or even pinch-hitter in the ruck.

U18 Champs DT Average: 53

DT Stocks: KPP prospect. Need I say more?

*SPECIAL THANKS MUST GO TO MR. CRAIG FROM WHOM I GOT PLAYER STATISTICS (HEIGHTS/WEIGHTS)!*

Mr.Craig

Stringer averaged 36.6 from his 3 games. ;)

It was interesting to read that GWS are adamant they are going to pick the best available players in the draft rather than selecting on a needs basis. Surely if that's the case they should take Grundy, O'Rourke or Wines ahead of Plowman... :-\ But that's not what the talk has been. I can't wait to see how it plays out!

You seem to have a fairly similar opinion to me, except I have Membrey going to the Lions with Pick 24 and O'Brien going a little later on. Taylor Garner seems to be getting the short end of the stick in some Round 1 predictions but I rate him as a very good prospect.

Jukes

No way will Grundy slip to 7. He will almost certainly go to GWS at pick 3, and if he doesn't, will certainly go to the dees or the dogs.

Jroo

Quote from: Jukes on November 18, 2012, 01:30:10 PM
No way will Grundy slip to 7. He will almost certainly go to GWS at pick 3, and if he doesn't, will certainly go to the dees or the dogs.
Grundy could easily slip to Richmond at 9 or GWS again at 12?
Nice work Toga. Do you like Stringer? I reckon he's a great player and would be a top 3 pick if he didn't break his leg

Toga

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 18, 2012, 01:08:56 PM

It was interesting to read that GWS are adamant they are going to pick the best available players in the draft rather than selecting on a needs basis. Surely if that's the case they should take Grundy, O'Rourke or Wines ahead of Plowman... :-\ But that's not what the talk has been. I can't wait to see how it plays out!

You seem to have a fairly similar opinion to me, except I have Membrey going to the Lions with Pick 24 and O'Brien going a little later on. Taylor Garner seems to be getting the short end of the stick in some Round 1 predictions but I rate him as a very good prospect.

Haha thanks mate - I don't know how I got 29, but I will edit it now. Do you know reasons as to why his average was so low? ???

Yeah i just read that article and it made me think a bit more, but if GWS are going for tippett I just don't see them needing Grundy, would be a waste. If anything I actually think they should pick someone like Menzel or Mayes with pick three, but I'm not them so that's not gonna happen lol :P but yeah i agree, can't wait for the draft! :D

Yeah those last few picks were tough for me because there rea;;y are a number of players that could be taken with those picks.. Garner does look good but I've just gone with the ones I have because they really seem to suit the needs of those clubs!

i think gws are a chance to take him, but given that they delisted Brogan in anticipation of recruiting Tippett says to me that they are dead set on recruiting him, and if they do, there is no point in them recruiting Grundy imo. Dees and Dogs have more pressing needs than another ruckman, so if GWS don't pick him i think there is a strong chance he will slip to the Power.

Quote from: JROO8 on November 18, 2012, 01:39:52 PM
Nice work Toga. Do you like Stringer? I reckon he's a great player and would be a top 3 pick if he didn't break his leg

Yeah in all honesty i really do see Grundy slipping down to around 7-9, based on needs. That's not to say that one of the clubs might just go on talent alone and pick up Grundy, we'll jsut have to wait and find out! :D

Thanks JROO :) Yeah I really do like Stringer, he's very talented and very versatile, definitely could be right up there if it were not for that broken leg. I can see Richmond taking a punt on him simply because we now have a heap of midfield and small/medium forward depth, meaning that we can afford to pick him up and give him a year or so to get his leg right if need be!

Ziplock

I really think we'll take whitfield, grundy and toumpas with 123...

Jroo

Quote from: Ziplock on November 18, 2012, 01:56:46 PM
Been hearing a lot that Menzel or Plowman at 3. Possibly even Menzel and Plowman at 2 and 3, letting Toumpas and Grundy slip. Personally i think it would be Whitfield, Toumpas, Menzel

Toga

Quote from: JROO8 on November 18, 2012, 02:02:05 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on November 18, 2012, 01:56:46 PM
Been hearing a lot that Menzel or Plowman at 3. Possibly even Menzel and Plowman at 2 and 3, letting Toumpas and Grundy slip. Personally i think it would be Whitfield, Toumpas, Menzel

i seriously think either menzel or mayes would be a great addition to GWS' forward line, and I think one of them will slip to 12 if they pick Plowman with three, who would also be very good for them. Gilham is only a short term solution given his age, so he will fill the gap for two years while plowman develops in the reserves imo.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Toga on November 18, 2012, 01:48:06 PM

Haha thanks mate - I don't know how I got 29, but I will edit it now. Do you know reasons as to why his average was so low? ???

I can't give you a definitive answer on that. What I can say is that the Under 18 Champs aren't necessarily the best representation of a players worth. Even though they are playing against the best kids in the country it is only a handful of games after all. Mayes is another one who was well down on what he's capable of.

Stringer put in 7 20+ disposal games in the TAC and for a forward that is exceptional. Whoever ends up getting him will be very, very happy. :D

Toga

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 18, 2012, 02:21:35 PM
Quote from: Toga on November 18, 2012, 01:48:06 PM

I can't give you a definitive answer on that. What I can say is that the Under 18 Champs aren't necessarily the best representation of a players worth. Even though they are playing against the best kids in the country it is only a handful of games after all. Mayes is another one who was well down on what he's capable of.

Stringer put in 7 20+ disposal games in the TAC and for a forward that is exceptional. Whoever ends up getting him will be very, very happy. :D

Haha ok thanks Craigy :) Yeah add those disposal counts to that 9 goal game he had, the kid is a gem!

underdog11

There's absolutely no way port wouldn't take Grundy if they could.

Jroo

Quote from: underdog11 on November 18, 2012, 08:40:51 PM

There's absolutely no way port wouldn't take Grundy if they could.
There is a chance they could pass.
They already have Lobbe (who will be a good ruckmen), Renouf, Redden, D.Stewart
I am hopeful he can slip to Richmond at 9, but only see Port as the danger at 7

henry

Not convinced Plowman will go at 3, I reckon Menzel Wines or Grundy even will be taken by gws. Like hour write up though mate, will be interested to see how it pans out!