Main Menu

Spamming in Other AFL Comps (No mods to report to)

Started by Grazz, November 17, 2012, 12:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew42

Grazz

Quote from: Nails on November 17, 2012, 02:05:12 PM
Quote from: Grazz on November 17, 2012, 02:02:59 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on November 17, 2012, 01:57:06 PM
I really doubt its a member- the scams have all clearly been translated into english using google translate, or some other free translation website.

Alot are clearly Russian and the gramar is worse than mine. Hope your right zip. Be a let down if a member was someway involved.

Grammar worse than yours Grazz? Is that even possible? :P ;)

haha sadly it is, but it does sound kinda "Hot"  ::)

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Grazz on November 17, 2012, 01:55:28 PM
Quote from: tabs on November 17, 2012, 01:51:13 PM
Quote from: Grazz on November 17, 2012, 01:28:31 PM
It is isn't MM, never seen it this bad and Ive been coming here for at least 4 years as a member less but never seen it like this.
That's why i'm suspicious that it could be a member behind it, hope im wrong.
some of them are in Russian so i doubt it
Quote from: c4v3m4n on November 17, 2012, 01:46:28 PM
One of our members, stew42, has established a great initiative in those spam threads.

Once a thread pops up, report it and the reply within the thread just saying "Reported".

That way, everyone else knows that a report has been made as I'm not 100% if the mods get a report everytime someone clicks the button or if it's one report per thread.

But anyway, great initiative and it'll save us all time as we'll know which ones have or have not been reported.
this is awkward......
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,69318.msg929148.html#msg929148

Was talking with HP last night and we were wondering if a member couldnt invite them in somehow. Being a computer illiterate i have no idea if this is possible but im sure plenty here would know if this is possible.

There are various methods by which this can happen and the easiest answer is actually "bots".

Seeing at the number of accounts that have been created in the past 24 hours (I think we've gone past 110 now), and seeing that each of them have detailed taglines in their profile, I highly doubt that one individual is doing this by himself/herself, rather it's a single computer program that is designed to seek out forums, create new accounts and then find the first board and post random data inside. At least that is one function of bots.

That is why you will find on most websites that when you setup a new account you have to enter a CAPTCHA, which bots find extremely difficult to read.

The above picture is an example of one, we've all seen them surely. But this is the main defence that is used against bots. Hence why CAPTCHA stands for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart".

Hopefully that answers your question Grazz.

Grazz

Perfectly c4 and i have had seen those captcha things before aswell as had to follow the prompts which sometimes i find hard to read  :-[ thanks for that atleast im learning something from all this.

Is this what m0nty will need to do in order to protect FF or do we have that already been to long and i cant remember from when i joined up.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Grazz on November 17, 2012, 02:13:32 PM
Perfectly c4 and i have had seen those captcha things before aswell as had to follow the prompts which sometimes i find hard to read  :-[ thanks for that atleast im learning something from all this.

Is this what m0nty will need to do in order to protect FF or do we have that already been to long and i cant remember from when i joined up.

Not sure Grazz, m0nty would be the best person to ask that.

Grazz

Quote from: c4v3m4n on November 17, 2012, 02:31:11 PM
Quote from: Grazz on November 17, 2012, 02:13:32 PM

Not sure Grazz, m0nty would be the best person to ask that.

No worries, i'll wait till he has it sorted then ask what he needed to do, i imagine he's busy enough at the minute to educate a computer dummy.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: c4v3m4n on November 17, 2012, 01:46:28 PM
One of our members, stew42, has established a great initiative in those spam threads.

Once a thread pops up, report it and the reply within the thread just saying "Reported".

That way, everyone else knows that a report has been made as I'm not 100% if the mods get a report everytime someone clicks the button or if it's one report per thread.

But anyway, great initiative and it'll save us all time as we'll know which ones have or have not been reported.

When a post is reported, no matter how many people report it, we just get 1 report for it (saying which users reported it). However, when a post is reported, an email is sent to Mods (which I don't mind as comes with being a Mod). But would save alot of time for others who don't have to report it which in itself can be time consuming if everybody has to go around searching for reports.

nostradamus

l'm starting to think it might be a member too  :'(

Because they seem to based purely on nuisance value to the Mods, it's like someone has an axe to grind. Whereas if they were genuine spam/scams they'd be alot cleverer and more likely to dupe people

.....just my 2 cents worth, but really hope l'm wrong

Windigo

Quote from: nostradamus on November 17, 2012, 09:41:07 PM

Because they seem to based purely on nuisance value to the Mods, it's like someone has an axe to grind. Whereas if they were genuine spam/scams they'd be alot cleverer and more likely to dupe people

That's what I think/expressed in the coaches section. It's more nuisance value than anything else.

Nails

Quote from: Windigo on November 17, 2012, 09:57:55 PM
Quote from: nostradamus on November 17, 2012, 09:41:07 PM

That's what I think/expressed in the coaches section. It's more nuisance value than anything else.

It's 100% nothing to do with our members.

If you search the emails of each account you can see they have been recorded across many different sites as forum spammers over a number of months. This happens on a number of forums and isn't specific to us.

nas

Clicked on DT am today & Spam splatted everywhere

c4v3m4n

Jay

Windigo

Ringo

We need more mods to fix.  This guy bfeuggsoff has been spamming SC Boards for the last half hour and despite reports to mods still no action.  Last post only one minute ago.