Started by Mr.Craig, November 14, 2012, 08:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

Jarrod Witts

Birthday - 13/9/92
209cm/113kg
Club - Collingwood (Yet to debut)
Fanplanner Price - $101,600

Witts appears to be the heir apparent to the No.1 ruck position at Collingwood. He played 16 games in the VFL during 2012, kicking 11 goals and averaging 12.7 hitouts. His DT scores were what you might expect from a young ruckman but there were some signs of promise - 57, 43, 45, 86, 76, 48, 91, 50, 59, 66, 47, 78, 67, 89, 80 and 103. I've seen him popping up in a few sides in Rate My DT, it remains to be seen if he'll prove to be a better choice than either Daniher or Grundy.

From AFL.com - COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley has forecast the debut of Jarrod Witts in 2013, with the hulking young ruckman set to "find out what League football is all about" next season.

Witts, 20, has excited Magpie fans since he was signed to the club via the New South Wales Scholarship program in 2008. The 209cm ruckman came close to a senior debut in 2012 - his first full season of playing in the VFL - and was named emergency for the Pies' round 18 clash with Greater Western Sydney.

Buckley said next year would be "big" for Witts and former West Coast big man Quinten Lynch, who was recruited to support No.1 ruckman Darren Jolly in a back-up role. "We feel that Jarrod Witts is ready to dip his toe and find out what League footy is all about so it's going to be big year for him as well," Buckley told collingwoodfc.com.au.

From The Age - COLLINGWOOD has opened a path for promising young ruckman Jarrod Witts after cutting two ruck rivals yesterday. The Magpies delisted Cameron Wood and Jonathon Ceglar leaving them with just Darren Jolly from this year's list as a recognised ruck...

The club expects he will, as a minimum, play sufficient games next year to manage Jolly's workload and potentially play even more games than that. "We had Witts, Ceglar and Wood all trying to ruck in the VFL last year and none of them getting a go at it," director of football Geoff Walsh said.

"It might look good to have names on the whiteboard but there is not much point keeping blokes on your list not to play games. Wood played a handful of games and Ceglar didn't play this year. ''So Witts will get his opportunities next year to play."

Media -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151104/default.aspx
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-clear-decks-for-witts-20121029-28fo0.html

YouTube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRcMpp0bSF0

nrich102

He seems like a good player. Maybe he will be a good pick after Jolly retires, but not getting him till then.

Spinking

Great write up Mr C.

Has really brought him into calculations for me. Will be watching closely pre-season, but that price makes him appealing. Will be particularly relevant if Jolly get injured.

The_Captain

Only if named round 1. Otherwise too risky...

Toga

Quote from: noto07 on November 14, 2012, 09:30:06 PM
Only if named round 1. Otherwise too risky...

+1. It will also depend on where Grundy ends up going and if he is named round 1 for me.

Driride

hope he plays later in season and my may down grade 1 of bench rucks for a bit of cash

Speculator

ruck bench options are always thin on the ground and this bloke represents a decent option at this stage

The_Captain

Hoping either him or daw named round 1. Not sure yet on grundy and Damiher. But the 2 rooks will come from those 4.

Bones Bombers

Think he's in for me ATM. Ruck is the one position I can possibly have a non playing benchie in rd1 as I plan to have Roughy forward and Big Joe on the ruck bench with their DPP for when it's needed. Anywhere else it's too risky like Tom Couch last year, everyone thought he would get early games even after rd1.

Adamant

Great work Mr. Craig.

Currently sitting on my ruck bench next to Daniher, I will be keeping a very close eye on him.

Mr.Craig

Thoughts on how Grundy going to Collingwood will affect Witt's chances? Grundy could be relegated to second ruck in the VFL if they both can't force their way into the seniors. Don't know what to make of it. :-\

Adamant

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 22, 2012, 10:33:03 PM
Thoughts on how Grundy going to Collingwood will affect Witt's chances? Grundy could be relegated to second ruck in the VFL if they both can't force their way into the seniors. Don't know what to make of it. :-\

Grundy will be ahead of Witts, but I probably wont go with either...

Toga

Quote from: Adamant on November 24, 2012, 07:23:31 PM
Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 22, 2012, 10:33:03 PM

Grundy will be ahead of Witts, but I probably wont go with either...

probably won't be selecting either one now... Grundy would be slightly ahead though.

Justin Bieber

Toga