Jimmy Bartel given DPP in 2013.

Started by gossiboy, November 14, 2012, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gossiboy

Looks like Jimmy Bartel will be receiving fwd/mid DPP status in 2013 according to Glenn Luff on twitter. Being one of the guys in charge of writing the prospectus every year and one of Champion Data's experts it looks reliable enough to me.

“@Lumpy0305: Jimmy Bartel DPP in 2013 - fwd/mid #2013aflprospectus http://t.co/oJUEbD0y” It was also retweeted by Al Paton, one of the herald sun journo's.

Jimmy will probably sneak into my forward line now that it looks like Beams/Sidebottom etc will be mids only.

ossie85

underdog11

What sorta idiot wouldn't have Rockliff DPP but Bartel. How is Rockliff not DPP on fanplanner! monty use common sense mate

gossiboy

Quote from: ossie85 on November 14, 2012, 11:08:51 AM

Gotta say that surprises me a bit

The reasoning behind it is "Bartel not a permanent midfielder anymore. Won 16% of his disposals in the F50 - a career-high"

Ricochet

Wow did not expect this. They have said he will play a lot more as a swing man this year but didn't think he would get dpp

ossie85

Quote from: gossiboy on November 14, 2012, 11:15:01 AM
Quote from: ossie85 on November 14, 2012, 11:08:51 AM

Gotta say that surprises me a bit

The reasoning behind it is "Bartel not a permanent midfielder anymore. Won 16% of his disposals in the F50 - a career-high"

If the criteria of "16% of his disposals" is used evenly across the board, I'll be happy with it. But if GAJ kicks 40+ goals and doesn't get a forward DPP, it seems inconsistent.

Colliwobblers

that surprises me too I 100% expected him to be DEF/FWD. He won't play anywhere near as much in the middle, Geelong have reported several times they plan to use him more as a utility and he will play more fwd and back than in the middle like he did in 2012, mr fix it :)

expect 20 possessions per game from him no more. still if he can boot a few goals he would make a handy fwd for your DT/SC team.

I think the lowering in midfield rotations and possessions adds more weight to the DPP argument than goals kicked does to be honest.

Ricochet

I'm actually concerned he won't be fantasy relevant any more even as a fwd.

1) His average has been on a steady decline for 5 years now - 114 (2007), 113 (2008), 109 (2009), 105 (2010), 97 (2011), 95 (2012)
2) Geelong have said he will be a swingman next year, with less time in the midfield

Declining average + less time in the midfield = <90 ??

Capper

didnt he play more forward last year than this year??? I thought he played behind the ball as well this year

elephants

I tend to agree with Ric here, would rather see how his new swing-man role affects him before forking out the big dollars for him. Plenty of cut-price options down forward next season to feast our eyes upon as well ;)

Colliwobblers

yes he was behind the ball and in defense quite a bit in 2012, and that is where he had some really big scores. I would have picked him as a DEF/MID or DEF/FWD, but probably won't as a FWD/MID.

a lot of bargain fwds to start the season with and a lot of players likely to average more to end the season with.....

SydneyRox

Just because (if) virtual sports call him a fwd/mid doesn't mean he will play there. Jimmy played plenty of time last year behind the ball, floating across half back, and as he gets older I think they will follow that through even more.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: SydneyRox on November 14, 2012, 01:57:34 PM
Just because (if) virtual sports call him a fwd/mid doesn't mean he will play there. Jimmy played plenty of time last year behind the ball, floating across half back, and as he gets older I think they will follow that through even more.

yeah true i just don't think he will score in the top 7 scorers out of the midfielders or fwds, so i would have locked him in for a spot in my defense but won't in my mids or fwds....

Barra17

Awesome, sorry buddy, you have been replaced.

Speculator

Can anybody confirm the source of these "les mid-field time for Jimmy" rumours? I hadn't heard that one before. I thought the story was something along the lines of the younger players getting more midfield time, rather than Jimmy getting less. Jimmy didn't play a lot of midfield last year anyway so I would expect blokes like Corey (he is terrible now anyway), Johnson and Kelly to be most affected.