Main Menu

The charges

Started by Mailman the 2nd, November 12, 2012, 09:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman the 2nd

GWS are smart enough not to offer Tippett a contract if he doesn't want to play for them or if they can't convince him.

Despite what many think, Kurt still holds most of the cards

Ziplock

Tennis players was a bad example... first class tennis players can live where they want...

A lot of high class professional athletes will change teams to go to their preferred team/ for more money? :S

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 14, 2012, 08:44:13 PM
GWS can afford to pick him and have him not joing the club in protest "because he's a giant toad" and having him not play next year, this is my prefered option, despite Zippy's objections (he's always wrong anyway ;D) not many high paid sports where players get to play in their home or chosen home! Tennis players, Footballers (soccer) what about the American sports? How many play in their prefered living city? Get stuffed Kurt

In Kurts defence he isn't looking at millions of dollars to play away from home whereas soccer players, tennis players and the like are.
In saying that I dont think heading home was ever really Kurts main concern. He obviously wasn't happy at Adelaide for one reason or another.
Ive personally never really understood the "home sickness" issue with AFL players tbh. I understand for 18 year olds but for a fully grown man that has lived interstate for years, what is home sickness? They wouldn't be living at home anyway. They have 40 close friends they have known for years in the city they play in and they are paid to do what they love. How often do people in normal society see their parents once they have moved out anyway? Probably just as often as the AFL players.

AFEV

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 14, 2012, 08:44:13 PM
GWS can afford to pick him and have him not joing the club in protest "because he's a giant toad" and having him not play next year, this is my prefered option, despite Zippy's objections (he's always wrong anyway ;D) not many high paid sports where players get to play in their home or chosen home! Tennis players, Footballers (soccer) what about the American sports? How many play in their prefered living city? Get stuffed Kurt
Well for American sports players go through college before making their way to the big league. This gives them a few years out of their home environment and I'd imagine would make the transition into the highest league a hell of a lot easier.

tbagrocks

True but aren't they also 18 when going away to College same as our boys ;D, point is these guys like Kurt are far to precious and I have no sympethy for any of them, it would be expected for teenagers to get home sick but as I have said, can't handle the conditions, don't do it!

Dudge

I sort of look at it this way-- you nominate for the draft, knowing you  could go anywhere. You accept the contract, and you make a healthy salary. Unless from the very beginning, you have no intension of staying at that club ( which is sad, because they gave you the opportunity in the 1st place ) unfortunately for that particular club it stinks. I do beleive a lot of 18 y/o's , even though the were the best of the best in their age group ( which u'd think would make them leaders ) are still very immature when leaving home. i know i was. ( but i wasn't  offered the money they were ). So to me the drafting of players, particually away from their home state is , and always will be a risk. The point i'm  trying to make is the kids should somehow be made to commiit to a club, or if not, that club has to be compensated better than the system is at the moment. It seems to me that things are going to much in favour of the individual, who is making stacks of money, and clubs are suffering. (i do understand that this happens in all sports world wide)  but  there has to be something in place that gives the club some type of balance. I do realise the players of any sport world wide, make the game actually happen but without the club- they would be concretors. Ps- only talking  club sports, not individual sports

Capper

new charges

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151061/default.aspx

QuoteThe Crows' current football operations manager Phil Harper has also been charged, for the first time, with breaking the League's rules.

In a statement released on Wednesday morning, AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said: "In accordance with AFL Player Rule 17, which relates to the enforcement of the AFL Draft and Total Player Payments, I have today issued a further three charges."

The Crows, Trigg and Harper have been charged as follows:

Contrary to Rule 17 of the Rules, between September 2009 and October 2012, you engaged in conduct in breach of the Total Player Payments provisions in the Rules.

The club and Trigg now face a total of three charges, while former Crows football manager John Reid and Tippett himself face two charges. Harper, who replaced Reid at the end of 2009, faces one charge.

ossie85

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 14, 2012, 09:04:26 PM
GWS are smart enough not to offer Tippett a contract if he doesn't want to play for them or if they can't convince him.

Despite what many think, Kurt still holds most of the cards

Kurt sets his price, if anyone picks him, he has to play for them. If he doesn't, I reckon a suspension of a couple years wouldn't be unreasonable.

Ziplock

he would play with them. But he'd just leave the club at the end of his contract if he wasn't happy with how the club was going, so smeh :P

ossie85

Quote from: Ziplock on November 15, 2012, 01:28:00 PM
he would play with them. But he'd just leave the club at the end of his contract if he wasn't happy with how the club was going, so smeh :P

True, but if he wants say $700,000 for 4 years at Sydney and asks for that as his price, if the Giants pick him it means he has to play for them for 4 years.

Grazz

I think Tippett still holds all the cards here, he could nominate for example a 1 year deal at 900k and get to the Swans that way couldnt he or am i missing something, then the Swans simply extend his contract and alter his sallary accordingly to match what they offered over four years. Is this possible do you know.

ossie85

Quote from: Grazz on November 15, 2012, 02:45:10 PM
I think Tippett still holds all the cards here, he could nominate for example a 1 year deal at 900k and get to the Swans that way couldnt he or am i missing something, then the Swans simply extend his contract and alter his sallary accordingly to match what they offered over four years. Is this possible do you know.

Pretty sure, it would amaze me if the Swans have that much room in the salary cap though :(

The Giants could still select him though

If the Premiers can outbid the Wooden Spooners as far as salary cap space goes, something ain't quite right.

SydneyRox

We have had some room for a while as far as I could tell. Bradshaw, Bolton, Kirk were all high paid players who left recently. And I am pretty sure both Goodes and Bolton (Jude) only went onto the vets list last year.
The only large long term deals we have done recently are Mumford and Reid (who got 5yrs, but wouldnt be a massive deal IMO)

Antsey

Can we all refer to this whole sorry episode as "Piegate" from now on?  Ta.

Cicjose

You have to feel for Nick Joyce. Sounds like he is the scapegoat from the Tippett saga

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article.aspx?id=816826

QuoteAFL club Adelaide have been forced to delist 19-year-old Nick Joyce because Kurt Tippett remains on the Crows' playing list.

The 19-year-old Joyce, who used to be the Crows' mascot and worked as a junior development officer at the club, was delisted on Thursday by Adelaide.

The Crows' inability to trade Tippett to a rival club forced them to make another delisting.

'It was not the club's intention to delist Nick at this time but, because Kurt Tippett remains on our primary list, we had to delist another player by today's deadline,' Adelaide's list manager David Noble said in a statement.

'The club is working closely with Nick's management and discussing the variety of options, with Nick's welfare being of the highest importance.'

Noble said the Crows would re-draft Joyce - if allowed by the AFL.