Main Menu

Franchise Player

Started by whatlez, November 11, 2012, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Bieber

Not sure where to post this, but it is interesting.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150940/default.aspx

Basically each club can nominate one player who will not go towards their salary cap.

Capper

interesting, im not a fan because of this
Quote''If you look at the Bulldogs or North, there is no way they would ever be able to do it," one player manager said.

"It's another reason why the poorer clubs could cry poorer.''

stew42

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this, especially when coupled with Free Agency, it means that the rich clubs can buy any free agent they want without regard for a salary cap. Then it'll be just like the EPL, but without the threat of relegation.

kilbluff1985

maybe the AFL could increase salary caps by a million or whatever and that must be used on one franchise player i think it would be good for the game

otherwise a club like Collingwood could get 5 mil off Eddie and give it to Buddy and sign him up or whoever

AFEV

Absolutely not this is a horrible idea. The hard cap we currently have in the AFL works well and it should be kept until there is a reason we shouldn't/can't.

Toga

Quote from: Sid on November 11, 2012, 07:10:58 PM
Absolutely not this is a horrible idea. The hard cap we currently have in the AFL works well and it should be kept until there is a reason we shouldn't/can't.

+1, let's not try fix what isn't broken.

Does this mean that Collingwood is starting to feel some salary cap pressure? ???

kilbluff1985

Quote from: Toga on November 11, 2012, 07:22:18 PM

Does this mean that Collingwood is starting to feel some salary cap pressure? ???

they were already hence losing Wellingham and Dawes

Toga

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on November 11, 2012, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: Toga on November 11, 2012, 07:22:18 PM

they were already hence losing Wellingham and Dawes

Yeah I know, but that was also partially due to them seeking greater opportunities elsewhere...

I'm just curious as to whether Bucks has brought this up because the big names (Pendles, Swanny, Ball, Cloke, isn't O'Brien highly paid?) and the young guns (Beams, Sidebottom etc) are struggling to stay under the salary cap.

Nige

Shouldn't happen, basically what stew said.

T Dog

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on November 11, 2012, 06:46:56 PM
otherwise a club like Collingwood could get 5 mil off Eddie and give it to Buddy and sign him up or whoever

Best Idea I have heard all trade season...any chance it can happen before xmas?.. ;D

ossie85

Basically it already happens doesn't it? Chris Judd and Gary Ablett basically get a whole extra cash outside the salary cap.

But no, just keep it simple in my books

SydneyRox

if, by franchise player it means you can only play for the one club, then I am not opposed.

Would mean, Freo/Pies/GWS couldnt poach say Franklin for a massive amount and call him a franchise player

But someone like Ablett could have stayed with Geelong and got paid what he was worth, rather than having to move teams to get it.