Jroo

Chris Newman
Price: $409 000 (Fan Planner)
2012 Games: 22
2012 Ave: 77
2011 Games: 17
2011 Ave: 98
Position: Defender

Newman has handed over the Tigers captaincy and hopefully it can take some pressure of him. Newman didn't have the best year in 2012, averaging 77 and only scoring over 100 three times. This has many people suggesting his scores could be on the decline due to his age.

Newman who has been a fantastic SuperCoach scorer in the past, as he has had some big season averages of 100, 98, 98, 98, 92, 91 since 2005. But Newman found it tough in 2012 as he often copped a forward tag, as he is very important of half back for the Tigers, as he is very good kick and sets up the Tigers attack from defence. Newman started to play up the ground in the last few rounds this year, playing on a wing. This might be a sign of things to come as young defenders like Batchelor, Dea, Ellis could play the same role, freeing Newman up the ground.

Newman isn't priced to highly at around $410k and I would actually consider him in your SuperCoach side in 2013 as an unique. He should play of the wing more in 2013 and won't get as much attention from the opposition leading to higher scores and with the captaincy handed over, it will relieve some pressure. But Newman will be 31 next season and his scores might continue to be on the decline. 

2013 Supercoach Point Average Prediction: 80-85

Rowy

I will wait and see what role he is playing in the preseason. If he is released from the backline onto the wing he will be in my starting side

Adamant

A gun SC'er back in the day, but he wont be in the top 10 defenders, and at his age...it's a pass for me.

Kellogscrunchynut

As much as it hurts me to say this to my beloved Newman he is nearing the end and there are better options.

quinny88

Thanks for the write up Jroo :)

Its a no at this stage bt will wait and see what role dimma has in store for him in 2013 before writing him off

The_Captain

Jroo

Quote from: JROO8 on November 10, 2012, 11:54:37 AM
Newman started to play up the ground in the last few rounds this year, playing on a wing. This might be a sign of things to come as young defenders like Batchelor, Dea, Ellis could play the same role, freeing Newman up the ground.
I told you  :P
I reckon Newman will play off a wing and even possibly on a half-forward flank this year. In the club's intra club match on Friday, the Tigers used Ricky Petterd to play Newman's old role, which released Newman up the ground. He's long and pinpoint accuracy, is a real asset and he set a few goals up in the intra club match. Could be a good pick up IMO and isn't overly over priced.

fever

i think the predicted average might be a touch generous. there is likely no reason to think he will improve on last year (though wait til he pumps out a couple of "old-newman" performances in r1&2 and put's people in the 'dempsey-dilemma').

Hagebear

Quote from: noto07 on November 12, 2012, 06:23:33 PM
I think Newmans best days are behind him.

Yeh have to agree with noto. I think the game is going past Newman now and can't see him improving his average while I think there are a few that will shoot past him this year.

Jroo

New role for Newman

Rock-solid Richmond defender Chris Newman is being reinvented as a midfielder in the twilight of his league career.

Newman, who resigned the Tigers’ captaincy at the end of last season, after four years in the role, has spent this pre-season preparing for a permanent place in the midfield throughout season 2013.

Richmond midfield coach Danny Daly believes the move will provide the 30-year-old veteran of 214 league games with a new lease of football life.

“’Newy’ was getting a lot of attention from opposition players at half-back last season, which probably limited his effectiveness.  This will give him the chance to be released and will revitalise him,” Daly said.

“He is an excellent user of the football, which will help the quality of our forward-50 entries.

“He’s feeling really good about it and looking forward to the challenge.

“After giving up the captaincy, this is another opportunity for him to play good footy.

“He’ll probably play on the wing, but, of course, he has the flexibility to go to the backline if we need him there at any stage.

“At the end of the day, however, we need to build a back six without Newy, who has held the defence together so admirably, for so long.”
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-02-20/new-role-for-newman

colmullet

interesting, still want to see that in action before i look at him for my side though....and i don't see him running free through the middle as he does use the ball so well, he will still have some sort of attention

Vincent

Won't happen. Every player in the AFL is talked up as having more midfield time during preseason and it happens for about 20% of them. Gibbs, Broughton, Hartlett anyone?

Jroo

Quote from: Vincent on February 21, 2013, 12:07:46 AM
Won't happen. Every player in the AFL is talked up as having more midfield time during preseason and it happens for about 20% of them. Gibbs, Broughton, Hartlett anyone?
I see it happenning, he played off the wing for the last 4 or so rounds of 2012 and should play off a wing and of half back in 2013.

quinny88

Quote from: Vincent on February 21, 2013, 12:07:46 AM

Yeah definitely not midfield as in a centre bounce mid role but on a wing and high half forward is very likely. Now that we have a solid back 6 with a lot of depth, newyisn't needed there anymore.. At last!

Dayze

I can see a definite role for him off the wing. Newman and deledio were the two most successfully tagged targets last season with there footskills. Newman will receive far less attention playing thru the mids with other more celebrated midfielders attracting attention. Proven SCer who hasn't had many injuries over the journey from memory.