Main Menu

Tanking the Round 13 bye

Started by Toga, November 07, 2012, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SOS#1

This was in SC but still relevant....

I was ranked 9th overall in round 10. Had planned quite well (or so I thought) for the byes, was looking at having 2-3 0's each round  ;D

But injuries, suspensions etc led to it all going downhill pretty bad. I dropped to around 160th by rd 13, which doesn't seem too bad, but was definitely enough to knock me out of contention  :'(

It's always going to take a lot of luck and you will have to make some picks you wouldn't normally to get through the byes unscathed!

Think i'm going to just let i ride this year and see what happens!  :o

Toga

Quote from: SOS#1 on November 09, 2012, 09:54:48 AM
This was in SC but still relevant....

I was ranked 9th overall in round 10. Had planned quite well (or so I thought) for the byes, was looking at having 2-3 0's each round  ;D

But injuries, suspensions etc led to it all going downhill pretty bad. I dropped to around 160th by rd 13, which doesn't seem too bad, but was definitely enough to knock me out of contention  :'(

It's always going to take a lot of luck and you will have to make some picks you wouldn't normally to get through the byes unscathed!

Think i'm going to just let i ride this year and see what happens!  :o

thanks for that input mate, that's what I wanted to hear!

general consensus so far is that just picking the best possible team turned out to be better than trying to pick your team around the byes.

Capper

i tried to build my team around the byes this year and it worked for the first 2 bye rounds but then R13 hit me hard and i think i only ended up with 8 guys scoring points due to injuries and players getting rested over the bye period.

I think my R13 score was something like 1000 which hurt

The_Captain

Heard a rumor VC may be implementing a new rule for 18 best scoring players all over the ground to be counted for the score over the bye's. Could make it a heck of a lot easier, but then more strategy needed to make sure the trades used each week allow for the strongest 18 possible to score each week.

Mr.Craig

After the draft I've ended up with 14/10/6 so I'll probably have to make a couple of changes just to even things up a little.

nrich102

I just get stuffed during the byes ;)

Thats why am an average dream teamer

stew42

According to FF, all 6 of my starting mids are Rnd 13.

Grazz

Its a fine line we tread with the byes, set yourself up perfectly for the byes from round one you tend to fall behind the leaders rank

wise quickly. If we pick the team we just want the byes can crush any hope of that #1 rank for the rest of the year. The key is

finding the ballance between the two scenarios and using the 10 games leading up to the byes to put your team in a good position

to average a decent score across the 3 byes that will maintain or improve your rank. This may mean you need to be aggresive

trading in those first ten games or realistically from round 5 to round 11 as you need to give your rookies or b graders time to

earn you a dollar so you can upgrade a player/players to Guns. Money makes this thing tick over after all. In saying that you also

need to leave yourself enough trades for the run home from round 14 onwards where we are busy trying to obtain the best we

can on every line filling up our teams. Its not easy Fantasy Footy and the byes have made it all the harder but the challenge is

where the fun and heartbreak lies. Theres no reward without risk and thats why i love it, the ecstacy and the agony. Find the

ballance between the two scenarios and have a good dose of luck, make all the right moves and decisions or atleast keep the

mistakes to a mininum your in with a shot or at the very least earn yourself a decent rank for the year. Its alot easier to win the GF

in your league than rank well and i enjoy the challenge of ranking well rather than winning GF's so to those out there that will be

chasing rank in 2013 i wish you all the best and a healthy dose of luck cause we all need luck no matter how good or bad we think

we are.

Ziplock

Quote from: Grazz on November 25, 2012, 12:14:59 PM
Its a fine line we tread with the byes, set yourself up perfectly for the byes from round one you tend to fall behind the leaders rank

wise quickly. If we pick the team we just want the byes can crush any hope of that #1 rank for the rest of the year. The key is

finding the ballance between the two scenarios and using the 10 games leading up to the byes to put your team in a good position

to average a decent score across the 3 byes that will maintain or improve your rank. This may mean you need to be aggresive

trading in those first ten games or realistically from round 5 to round 11 as you need to give your rookies or b graders time to

earn you a dollar so you can upgrade a player/players to Guns. Money makes this thing tick over after all. In saying that you also

need to leave yourself enough trades for the run home from round 14 onwards where we are busy trying to obtain the best we

can on every line filling up our teams. Its not easy Fantasy Footy and the byes have made it all the harder but the challenge is

where the fun and heartbreak lies. Theres no reward without risk and thats why i love it, the ecstacy and the agony. Find the

ballance between the two scenarios and have a good dose of luck, make all the right moves and decisions or atleast keep the

mistakes to a mininum your in with a shot or at the very least earn yourself a decent rank for the year. Its alot easier to win the GF

in your league than rank well and i enjoy the challenge of ranking well rather than winning GF's so to those out there that will be

chasing rank in 2013 i wish you all the best and a healthy dose of luck cause we all need luck no matter how good or bad we think

we are.
I just picked the team I wanted, and it had close to a perfect structure, 9/10/11 for 11/12/13 :P

Grazz

Quote from: Ziplock on November 25, 2012, 01:33:46 PM
Quote from: Grazz on November 25, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

we are.
I just picked the team I wanted, and it had close to a perfect structure, 9/10/11 for 11/12/13 :P

Youve done very well then zip congrats, the proof will be in the result. Hope i can do the same.

Ziplock

we're still like 3 months from open though-I'm pretty happy with it atm...got both swanny and ablett in :P only field 1 rookie :P

Grazz

Quote from: Ziplock on November 25, 2012, 02:27:28 PM
we're still like 3 months from open though-I'm pretty happy with it atm...got both swanny and ablett in :P only field 1 rookie :P

Only one rookie, hmmm. Stick with Science mate fantasy footy isnt your thing.lol. :P

Ziplock

mmm, we'll see grazz- without gws and gc this could be year of the rookies.

Since it's november, I dont have any major qualms about posting my team :P

nov24 Fanplanner squad in the Dream Team competition coached by Zarts. Salary cap left: $82,900.

Brendon Goddard, Bryce Gibbs, Pearce Hanley, Hamish Hartlett, Greg Broughton, Cameron Pedersen, Jasper Pittard
Brent Staker, Joshua Toy

Dane Swan, Gary Ablett jnr, Andrew Gaff, Luke Ball, Andrew Embley, Jaeger O'Meara
Nathan Hrovat, Jack Viney

Todd Goldstein, Matthew Leuenberger
Majak Daw, Jarrod Witts

Lance Franklin, Jimmy Bartel, Tom Rockliff, Dustin Martin, Nathan Bock, Mark LeCras, Mark Nicoski
Travis Varcoe, Daniel Menzel
9/11/10
as you can see, positionally it's not super balance, but I think with dpp I might be ok. No insane left field choices there, pedo and gaff are probably the most. The two best mids round it off- potentially 17 keepers.

DT isn't fun without a bit of risk :P

Ziplock

toys more of a place holder atm.

if you're gunning for overall, you cant really ignore the byes :/

PowerMan

Hopefully they'll see some common sense and have the league bye rounds during this period.