Buddy Franklin

Started by DT-SC, November 04, 2012, 02:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamant

Looks like Buddy might be a POD :o

I can see why a lot of people are starting without him, but I'll stick with him and not worry about how to bring him in etc.

timmyparso

Why is buddy becoming a unique player? No 1 forward 2 years running!!!!!  Lot of talk about  an inflated average (here and other threads) due to the 203  being used as a weak excuse to have a unique team without him but don't forget the 2 red vests due to the hamstring bringing the average down. Let's not forget the failed experiment in the midfield early in the season.

Used as a pure key forward he is an unstoppable machine and when he kicks straight there is no reason for him not to kick bags of 6 or more, regularly, he has proven to kick 13 when "experts" predicted the end of the 10 goal forward, he is a freak!

It will be interesting to see who has the balls to not pick him come round 1.

essendon2

Quote from: timmyparso on January 07, 2013, 10:29:58 PM
Why is buddy becoming a unique player? No 1 forward 2 years running!!!!!  Lot of talk about  an inflated average (here and other threads) due to the 203  being used as a weak excuse to have a unique team without him but don't forget the 2 red vests due to the hamstring bringing the average down. Let's not forget the failed experiment in the midfield early in the season.

Used as a pure key forward he is an unstoppable machine and when he kicks straight there is no reason for him not to kick bags of 6 or more, regularly, he has proven to kick 13 when "experts" predicted the end of the 10 goal forward, he is a freak!

he never plays 22 games

Football Factory

Good points Timmy .. Buddy is not a bad pick just like Boyd isnt. I wont be starting with Buddy, im hoping to get him in fairly quickly after he's dropped due to their dodgy fixtures early on but who knows i might end up paying full price.

owenbond007

I disagree on this statement. Pretty sure beams was number last year, and stevie J had him covered the year before. Also in terms of overall points scored he only scored 1621 last year and 1932 in 2011. Missing games and the odd poor performance make him more of a potential upgrade target rather than a lock starter.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: essendon2 on January 07, 2013, 10:42:00 PM

he never plays 22 games

well said

timmyparso

Quote from: owenbond007 on January 07, 2013, 11:47:49 PM

I disagree on this statement. Pretty sure beams was number last year, and stevie J had him covered the year before. Also in terms of overall points scored he only scored 1621 last year and 1932 in 2011. Missing games and the odd poor performance make him more of a potential upgrade target rather than a lock starter.

Sorry mate, I stand corrected, Beams is not a forward this year, so from the point of view of the current listed forwards he begins 2013 as the No 1 ranked forward (apologies for my inaccurate earlier statement). Low total score last year due to very poorly managed hamstring injury which Hawthorn will not be dumb enough to repeat in 2013. If 100% in round 1 he will be difficult to pass over.

Toga

My method when I'm considering picking the super-expensive guys for my DT (such as Franklin, Goddard, Boyd etc.):

1. Look at their price and previous years average, will they hold this average or improve? (Answer: yes)
2. Check alternatives - what other blokes could i pick instead of buddy? (Answer: Rocky, SJ, Bartel, Daisy, Robbo)
3. Are they cheaper than Buddy? (Answer: yes to all)
4. Do I expect these alternatives to increase their average to the same or more than Buddy? (Answer: yes, perhaps slightly under)
5. Are there any other circumstances as to why I shouldn't pick any of the alternatives (e.g. injury concern)? (Answer: None stand out)

If you can ask yourselves those questions, it will help you who to choose. Personally, while Buddy is a jet and is a star of the AFL, I can see Rocky and Daisy lifting their averages to a similar level to Buddy's, giving me reason to choose them over him. It is a bit of a calculated risk, but if you can get the same quality player for cheaper, why wouldn't you?

Buddy will be an early upgrade target for me as FF said!