West Coast and Fremantle standalone VFL clubs

Started by Capper, November 02, 2012, 01:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capper

West coast and Freo will join clubs like Swans, Lions, Suns, Giants, GWS and have their own standalone 2s team.

West coast have done a deal with East Perth and Freo have done a deal with Peel Thunder.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150562/default.aspx

Freo players playing at east Perth and West coast players playing at Peel will swap teams next year but other West Coast and Freo players at other clubs will continue to play for that club for 2013 before moving

Grazz

Its a smart move, Crows and Power needed it years ago. All to often players go back to their respective teams in the SANFL and our played out of their AFL position even after the express wishes of their AFL coach regarding where a player should play. Hard to blame the SANFL coach he has a job to do which is win a flag but causes a bit of grief for all concerned. With a reserves side atleast everyone is rowing in the same direction.

Tominator

Crows looking to merge with Sturt (half our players are there anyway) and Port already making progress with Port Magpies

But realistically, why is there not a national reserves comp or something?  Match the reserves fixture to the league fixture so that (e.g.) Crows and Bombers could play in Round 1, while their reserves could play in Round 1 too...   would cost a lot, yes, but it is the ideal way of giving everybody reserves

ossie85

I like it Tominator, except the problem is you'd need to expand lists by a fair bit. At the moment with injuries you wouldn't be able to fill 2 entire teams.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: ossie85 on November 02, 2012, 02:46:06 PM

I like it Tominator, except the problem is you'd need to expand lists by a fair bit. At the moment with injuries you wouldn't be able to fill 2 entire teams.

not everybody in the reserves team would be on the AFL clubs senior or rookie list

but the clubs reserve teams could recruit players they might be interested in

Capper

i have brought this up before but the only issue with having a standalone 2s team is that if the 1s play the day after then some players may only play half a game. It happened this year to the Swans several times

ossie85

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on November 02, 2012, 02:51:32 PM

not everybody in the reserves team would be on the AFL clubs senior or rookie list

Would reserve players really want to fly around the country at minimal pay full time? I assume unlisted players would earn less than rookies, meaning if they had a family they would have to supplement income. They would need to listed

elephants

Ziplock

Quote from: ossie85 on November 02, 2012, 02:57:09 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1985 on November 02, 2012, 02:51:32 PM

Would reserve players really want to fly around the country at minimal pay full time? I assume unlisted players would earn less than rookies, meaning if they had a family they would have to supplement income. They would need to listed
they'd need to be listed, and probs being paid around the same as a rookie...

kilbluff1985

i don't think they would need to be listed why not just have there own smaller salary cap for the reserves tea

Ziplock

would they be able to hold down a full time job and play?

if not, then they're going to need a reasonable salary.

have a reserves comp that runs at the end of the afl comp. Yes it'll run into summer, and be a cow to play in the heat, but it'll just make them tougher.

being serious though- a reserves comp isnt viable to make significant money while the actual afl runs. Dont the US kind of have two tiers with the nfl and college football? dont they run at different times? that's what we should do.

Capper

Quote from: Ziplock on November 02, 2012, 11:08:28 PM

have a reserves comp that runs at the end of the afl comp. Yes it'll run into summer, and be a cow to play in the heat, but it'll just make them tougher.

being serious though- a reserves comp isnt viable to make significant money while the actual afl runs. Dont the US kind of have two tiers with the nfl and college football? dont they run at different times? that's what we should do.
one problem that could occur is what happens in the NEAFL. There are some strong teams and then there are some really weak teams. Good thing though is that there are NSW and QLD teams in the comp as well as a Belconnen team who lost the final to the Lions this year.

Not too sure about the NFL but the college system i think have divisions like AA or AAA 9thinking back to "Remember the Titans"

ossie85

Quote from: tabs on November 02, 2012, 11:13:01 PM

one problem that could occur is what happens in the NEAFL. There are some strong teams and then there are some really weak teams. Good thing though is that there are NSW and QLD teams in the comp as well as a Belconnen team who lost the final to the Lions this year.

Not too sure about the NFL but the college system i think have divisions like AA or AAA 9thinking back to "Remember the Titans"

Queanbeyan lost to Lions in the final after upsetting the Swans in the Eastern Conference. My poor old Belconnen (where I currently live) strugged a bit this year

Grazz

Quote from: Tominator on November 02, 2012, 02:30:42 PM
Crows looking to merge with Sturt (half our players are there anyway) and Port already making progress with Port Magpies

But realistically, why is there not a national reserves comp or something?  Match the reserves fixture to the league fixture so that (e.g.) Crows and Bombers could play in Round 1, while their reserves could play in Round 1 too...   would cost a lot, yes, but it is the ideal way of giving everybody reserves

Yeh its long overdue Tom, should of happened a few years back, im glad its happening better late than never.

Capper

Quote from: ossie85 on November 03, 2012, 06:44:05 AM
Quote from: tabs on November 02, 2012, 11:13:01 PM

Queanbeyan lost to Lions in the final after upsetting the Swans in the Eastern Conference. My poor old Belconnen (where I currently live) strugged a bit this year
Swans were on top but then had to rest players in case they were needed the following game for the Swans 1s. Belconnen played really well and came back well to beat the Swans