2013 Player Profile: Jonathan Simpkin

Started by Mr.Craig, November 01, 2012, 07:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

Jonathan Simpkin

Games: 4
AFL DT Average 2012: 38
Fanplanner Price: $195,500

Simpkin was named Geelong's best and fairest in the VFL this season with a clutch of dominant performances. Unfortunately he's never really been given the opportunity to show his true worth at senior level but now that Hawthorn has picked him up that might all change. While averaging 26 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles and 1 goal a game in 2012 he produced scores of 88, 52, 92, 90, 83, 107, 144, 131, 105, 116, 104, 87, 105, 100, 111, 121, 111, 102 and 63. That's an average of 100.6.

It will be interesting to see how Jonathan goes in the NAB and if he's selected in Round 1. If that does eventuate then I think it's worthwhile giving this guy at least a passing consideration. Selecting mid priced midfielders is something I know plenty of coaches are loathed to do and as such Simpkin will probably end up on the junk heap, however those brave enough could potentially have a winner.

Kellogscrunchynut

Better off picking a rookie whom you know will get consistant games as this guy has to compete with loads of other rookie mids on Geelongs list.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on November 01, 2012, 07:43:47 PM
Better off picking a rookie whom you know will get consistant games as this guy has to compete with loads of other rookie mids on Geelongs list.

Quote from: Mr.Craig on November 01, 2012, 07:13:12 PM

Unfortunately he's never really been given the opportunity to show his true worth at senior level but now that Hawthorn has picked him up that might all change.

;)

Obviously he has the same issue with JS at Hawthorn but I think they've recruited him with the expectation he'll see action next season.

MiGZ

Kellogscrunchynut

Wow didn't even know that he had .gone to Hawthorn, this trade season is far to active for my liking

Toga

Quote from: MiGZ on November 01, 2012, 08:09:26 PM
didnt he just get delisted yesterday?

first delisted free agent signed up today

Mr.Craig

Quote from: MiGZ on November 01, 2012, 08:09:26 PM
didnt he just get delisted yesterday?

He was delisted by Geelong on Tuesday and recruited by Hawthorn today.

JBs-Hawks

Ricochet

The guy can definitely play but will probably have the same JS issues as this year.
Can see him playing 5-10 games

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Adamant on November 10, 2012, 05:21:27 PM
No JS at all.

The Hawks did throw around terms like "midfield depth" when they recruited him but I wouldn't go as far as saying he has no JS. Geelong is hardly a weak team and he managed 4 games for them this year and I suspect part of reason why he went to the Hawks was that they offered him more opportunities. I doubt he would have made the move if it simply meant playing out his days at Box Hill.

It may end up being completely wrong but I think the Hawks view him as a potential replacement for Clinton Young.

azza707

WhiteX out for the year does improve his chances of getting a few more games. hpwever id except Brad Hill to slot straight in for X

JBs-Hawks

azza707

yehh and then it moves down progressively, but ultimately i see Hill seeing slightly more game time than players like Simpkin/Schneider

Driride