Started by Cicjose, October 30, 2012, 01:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Quote from: Sid on November 01, 2012, 08:31:37 PM
Quote from: Toga on November 01, 2012, 08:20:20 PM
Quote from: kilbluff1995 on November 01, 2012, 08:12:10 PM
Quote from: Toga on November 01, 2012, 08:08:57 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on November 01, 2012, 07:45:13 PM
not heaps. A reasonable amount. Honestly, we probably have the cap room. I don't super want him though :/

you'd have heaps of cap room i think because non of your kids are being paid top dollar now, but i think the club is trying to leave heaps of cap room for when your kiddies do get older and start demanding higher salaries

well they need to use 93% of there cap so doubt they would have 'heaps' of room left depends what you consider heaps i guess

oh really?! i didn't know that?

i know they had sorted out their cap room so that they have enough room in the coming years to retain most of their kids...

maybe they're paying the older blokes (cornes, brogan) alot to meet that requirement...?
My guess would be Scully, Ward etc. would have front ended contracts.

didn't quite get there, but that was the reason i was looking for haha, thanks mate ::)

Ziplock

scully has a pretty big contract, dunno about ward.

JBs-Hawks

He went to gws for the location :P

Samm79

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Scullys contract was heavily front loaded. Seven figures in the first year and a lot less over the remaining 4.

Mailman the 2nd

What's the difference between front and back ended contracts?

To players get paid more at the end or beginning or what?

Toga

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 01, 2012, 11:23:06 PM

Front loading means th player gets more in the first year(s) of their contract, before it gets a bit less at the end of the contract.
For example scully might have got 1.2 mil first year, 700K second year and 400K for the rest of the years of his contract... (not actual numbers, just am example) ::)

Basically means they can pay scully most of his money now, freeing up salary cap room for 4 years time I think...

Capper

Quote from: Ziplock on November 01, 2012, 07:45:13 PM
not heaps. A reasonable amount. Honestly, we probably have the cap room. I don't super want him though :/
join the queue.

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 01, 2012, 11:23:06 PM

front ended contracts usually have either more money in the beginning, whilst back ended contracts have more money in the later years or clauses

Mailman the 2nd

ossie85

Front loading is generally a better strategy than back loading, with Front loading you know what you've got and can plan for the future.

With back loading you're trying to predict things going a certain way and even with veteran status on the horizon it is risky. The Brisbane Lions back-loaded a lot and it hurt them, to the point where I think they were paying Michael Voss for I think 2 years after he retired.

Ringo

Quote from: ossie85 on November 02, 2012, 09:25:11 AM

Front loading is generally a better strategy than back loading, with Front loading you know what you've got and can plan for the future.

With back loading you're trying to predict things going a certain way and even with veteran status on the horizon it is risky. The Brisbane Lions back-loaded a lot and it hurt them, to the point where I think they were paying Michael Voss for I think 2 years after he retired.
Yes it does hurt Oss - We only finished playing Fevola this year as well. Hopefully we have learned our lesson and will not back end any more contracts.

Capper

Quote from: Ringo on November 02, 2012, 09:42:38 AM

Yes it does hurt Oss - We only finished playing Fevola this year as well. Hopefully we have learned our lesson and will not back end any more contracts.
ouch, that hurts....

Grazz

Quote from: Ringo on November 02, 2012, 09:42:38 AM

eeek didnt know that, Reckon youve learnt from that Ringo.

Ziplock

Apparently we just announced that we are no longer chasing tippett.

ossie85

Quote from: Ziplock on December 05, 2012, 12:05:18 PM
Apparently we just announced that we are no longer chasing tippett.

:( I still don't know why.

I really wish someone would shove it up Tippett and pick him.

Ziplock

lol, it'd be pretty funny if nobody picked him up... :P