Main Menu

Which young gun(s) will shine in 2013?

Started by Toga, October 29, 2012, 02:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

The 1-3 year players got back into preseason training this morning. With trade period over, its a bit boring in the AFL world until the National Draft in a month's time, so just to generate some discussion, which young blokes do you think will shine in 2013?

My tips:
Matty Arnot: i think will get a bit more game time this year as we prepare him for 2014 - will replace Jacko/Tucky in our midfield. Expecting big things from the nugget.

Reece Conca: was really excited by his first season in the system, but he dropped off a bit this year... Looking forwards to seeing him come back all guns blazing, maybe playing off the wing a bit more this year.

And not a '1-3 year player' but:
Dusty: Expecting bigger things from this bloke next year. Hopefully hits the training track hard when he gets back into it and improves his fitness base so he can run in the mids for longer next year. Was probably a bit complacent in 2012 with his position in the team being a cult figure, but I think the 'incident' will have him pull his head in this year, will be a star.

After the draft go ahead and add any other players you think! :)

Nige

I'm hoping Matty Arnot gets a run. As an old boy of my school, we were all pretty stoked that he got drafted and he can join a list of players that have made it to AFL level if he does. I've seen him play a few times and he's definitely someone who could replace Tucky and Jacko.

Jroo

Conca, Griffiths, Astbury and Dea are 4 young players who could be anything.
Grimes and Martin will take there game to another level

Chelskiman

Conca is certainly set for a breakout season.  I too would like to see Arnott get a decent amount of game time.  He surely can't be any worse than Jackson...

Nige

Apprently Arnot was in the doghouse for rocking up late to a training session or two as well, that may have contributed as to him not playing this season.

Jroo

Arnot is as a big tough midfielder. Will hopefully replace Jacko and Tucky in a few years like Yoga and Nigey said

Toga

Quote from: JROO8 on October 29, 2012, 05:12:16 PM
Conca, Griffiths, Astbury and Dea are 4 young players who could be anything.
Grimes and Martin will take there game to another level

Yeah looking forwards to Grimey hopefully putting his injuries behind him, absolute champion. Griffiths and Astbury will be good as well, although I can only see one of these lads playing at a time for the moment.

quinny88

All of the ones everyone has mentioned plus Vickery.
Vickers started his pre season a few weeks ago now so I think he is due for a big one, hopefully injury free.

elephants

Conca and Grimes are the big ones I feel!

Arnot looks promising although I know a fair bit less about him.

I think this is make or break for Vickery. Might sound dramatic bit he needs to establish himself this year imo.

If all else fails though, BRING BACK THE DREDDIES!! :D

Kellogscrunchynut

I hope that Grimes and Vickery can have a solid season next year and also Matty Arnot whom I though might have had a run this year gets a gig next season.

Chelskiman

Quote from: elephants on October 29, 2012, 10:59:14 PM
I think this is make or break for Vickery. Might sound dramatic bit he needs to establish himself this year imo.

I agree.  He's been in the system long enough now so it's time he stepped up.  He's a key player because if he has a good year we will make finals.

Jroo

Quote from: Chelskiman on October 30, 2012, 02:28:31 AM

I agree.  He's been in the system long enough now so it's time he stepped up.  He's a key player because if he has a good year we will make finals.
+ 1 I rate Vickery pretty highly. Was great in 2011 but was injured for most of the year. Will bounce this year

Nige

Quote from: JROO8 on October 30, 2012, 11:13:09 AM
Quote from: Chelskiman on October 30, 2012, 02:28:31 AM

+ 1 I rate Vickery pretty highly. Was great in 2011 but was injured for most of the year. Will bounce this year

Yep, he's a player we need to play well and have a solid year. Hopefully he does so and it pays off, gonna pray he stays injury-free.

Toga

Conca and Grimes are the big ones I feel!

Arnot looks promising although I know a fair bit less about him.

If all else fails though, BRING BACK THE DREDDIES!! :D

or grow a mullet? ::)

Toga

Brandon Ellis won Saturday's time trial! Good effort by the young fella!