2013 Player Profile: Jack Watts

Started by Football Factory, October 26, 2012, 10:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Football Factory

Jack Watts - Melbourne      ( requested by stew42)

POSITION: Forward

OFFICIAL PRICE 2013: $360,600   F/B

HEIGHT: 196cm      WEIGHT: 91kg

2009 GAMES: 3      DT AVERAGE: 33

2010 GAMES: 15    DT AVERAGE: 54

2011 GAMES: 22    DT AVERAGE: 72

2012 GAMES: 15     DT AVERAGE: 69

CAREER HIGHS:

DREAMTEAM: 121 vs Sydney in 2012

SUPERCOACH: 150 vs Sydney in 2012

2012 SCORES: 78,45,77,65,42,121,79,98,64,94,74,55,53,59,42

HISTORY:

2008  Pick No 1 in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft. An athletic, strong marking tall forward. Was impressive at the NAB AFL 2008 Draft Camp, recording the second best times for the 20m sprint and agility run. Also ranked in the top 10 per cent at the camp for verticle leap and repeat sprints.

2009  With the retirement of Demons legend D.Neitz it was expected he would make his debut early. After a handfull of games in the VFL for the Casey Scorpions, Watts was unveiled in the Queen's Birthday blockbuster against Collingwood. He managed a further 2 games and went back to the VFL, however he chipped his thumb and sat out the last 6 games.

2010 Completed a solid pre season adding muscle to his frame. With not as much outside pressure on him in 2010, Watts stepped up to play 15 games and looked much more at ease than he did in 2009 when he carried the burden of the No 1 draft pick while still finishing his school commitments. Was given plenty of time to regain his fitness and confidence in the VFL. Played every game after he was recalled in round 8 and had an impressive 27 disposals in the Demon's win over the Lions at the Gabba in round 18.

2011  The most assessed player in the AFL had his best season finishing ninth in the best and fairest, kicking 21 goals and playing every game. Started the season slowly and was a substitute player in round 4 , but began to emerge against StKilda in round 9 when he was thrown into defence. Reads the play well and his work rate is good. The extent of his progress was evident when he moved back into attack.

2012 Another development year for Watts. Played the majority of the year down back with stints on the wing and up forward. Had a career high 34 disposals and 11 marks against Sydney in round 8.

VERDICT: With another pre season and the talk of more time spent in defence in 2012 after the signing of C.Dawes can he push his average up again ? . Watts is still only 21 and with every year that goes by the pressure of being a No 1 draft pick releases. Can he find himself in a settled position down back playing loose in defence for the Dees in 2013.

PREDICTION: If he plays loose in defence i reckon he can average 75-85. He's too expensive at 360k for my liking and would have to become a keeper at that price. Will you risk it to get the biscuit  :D

COACH Mark Neeld has confirmed that Jack Watts will be part of Melbourne’s back six next year.

Speaking at a media conference on Wednesday to talk about the recruitment of 2010 Collingwood premiership player Chris Dawes, Neeld said that Watts’ impressive form down back this year meant he would be part of the club’s future defence.

“We see Jack as that defender - that’s where he played the majority of the year,” he said.

“We see Jack as forming part of the back six.”

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=149843

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/department-of-trades/arrival-of-chris-dawes-at-melbourne-set-to-keep-jack-watts-in-defence/story-fn69a32t-1226497706956

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/melbourne-demons-coach-mark-neeld-says-jack-watts-will-stay-in-defence-with-chris-dawes-signed-on/story-e6frf3e3-1226497736985

Toga

Much rather his new teammate in pedersen for 160K less for me!

Good write up though :)

Football Factory

Quote from: Toga on October 26, 2012, 10:52:45 PM
Much rather his new teammate in pedersen for 160K less for me!

Good write up though :)
+ 1

Adamant

Quality write up FF 8)
I think Watts will have a good year - possibly an average around 80-85, but as you said, too risky at 360 to take the punt.

Adamant

stew42

Thanks for the writeup. This kid has the potential to be a star, but I don't think that will be until the later part of his career.

Spinking

Agree with the above comments. He is probably a season or two away from being fantasy relevant, and at that price is not worth the risk.

Great write up though FF.

Football Factory

Thanks fella's.. ill do another profile tomorrow, dont know how fantasy relevant they will be tho  ;D

tbagrocks

He will dominate one day, you will do well to pick the year he does, could be 2013? :-\

TeeJay

Worst number 1 draft pick since ive been watching footy. Tosser of a bloke to. So up himself

Driride

Yeh not for me but will keep a eye on him

Capper

If he gets DPP then i will think about him, but the game against Sydney he got a lot of cheap processions as Sydney kept kicking it into their half forward line and Watts was their to clean and and kick it out but then the ball would come straight back

JBs-Hawks

Upgrade target if he breaks out otherwise not too keen.

Justin Bieber

I do like the f/b, that makes him a look.

I like him as a player, but probs though...

Shihan7

I dont really like picking these 'breakout' type players. Still think he will have a good year though.