This or that? - Nathan Bock vs Jarrod Harbrow

Started by Toga, October 22, 2012, 11:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

With many DT coaches intent on starting an all-star midfield in 2013, including pricey big-name players such as Dane Swan, Gary Ablett and co., we obviously need to make sacrifices elsewhere on the field. 2013 Could be a great year to do so, with some value options available to us in both our forward and back lines. Two of these value options are Nathan Bock and Jarrod Harbrow, both of the Gold Coast Suns. Some people might elect to get both of these experienced players, but if you want to be selective... which one should you choose?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nathan Bock (Gold Coast Suns)

Price: $230,000

2011 average: 80.2

2012 average: 61 (72 non-sub affected)

2012 lowest score (non-sub affected): 66 (vs NM)

2012 highest score: 78 (vs ESS)

Standard deviation: 22.5 (only 6.0 if his injury-affected game is cut out!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jarrod Harbrow (Gold Coast Suns)

Price: $294,700

2011 average: 73.5

2012 average: 62.3 (65 non-sub affected)

2012 lowest score: 37 (vs CARL)

2012 highest score: 103 (vs GEE)

Standard deviation: 22.5 (20 without sub-affected score)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The judgement:

Price: Bock. Predicted to be 60K cheaper than his teammate. Both are underpriced for what they are capable of however, but I think Bock more so.

Scoring ability: Bock. I'll say Bock, but this really could go either way. Bock averaged more this year when you discount injuries, but he only played 3 games so that could be skewed. In their last (nearly) full season (2011), Bock averaged higher than Harbrow with his PB of 80, however Brow averaged higher than this during his time at the dogs with an average of 87 (2010). This year Harbrow had the higher score as well, cracking the ton once for a 103, but just couldn't get his scoring back up in the back half of the season, finishing with a string of disappointing scores. Next season I see Bocky playing a bit more up forwards as well, which I think will benefit his DT output as the Suns improve.

Consistency: Bock. Its hard to judge this based solely on Bocky's three games in 2012, but I think inconsistency in DT scoring is something you'll have to put up with if you go Harbrow. While Brow was the only one of these two to crack the ton this year, as I said earlier, had a string of games to end the season with a lot of poorer scores. If you look back to the second half of Bocky's 2011 season, 10/13 games were 80+, which is definitely acceptable for a player of his pricing and calibre.

Durability: Harbrow While both players had their 2012 season cut short due to injury, I think Harbrow's injury was the lesser of the two. Harbrow suffered a fractured elbow early in the season before returning later in the season - although his games in the back-end of the season were a tad disappointing, there were some decent games mixed in among them. Bock suffered a horrific leg break in round 4, and didn't return this season, with reports saying he will only start running late in preseason, which is a bit worrying. I'm giving the points to Harbrow here simply because of the fact that Bock's injury is more likely to persist and bother him next season than Harbrow's elbow.

Verdict:  Bock!. Like I said, I am a bit worried about his leg injury, and it'll definitely need to be considered during preseason, but if he's right to go by round 1 he is a virtual lock in my team. Out of these two I feel as though he has a lot more upside than Harbrow, and think his DT output will lift as the Suns team improves, while the Brow will always be one of those players that can have a shocker of a DT game ala Broughton. If Harbrow can get his average back up to his 2010 standards, this contest would be a lot closer, and could've even gone the other way, but those last five games in 2012 have me far from convinced....

Capper

The fact that Bock is $60k cheaper and may have DPP, he is my choice.

Nice write up

Windigo

You'd have to go with Bocky seeing as he is cheaper. But I'd like to see some ownage in the NAB cup....If he plays.... :o

JBs-Hawks

With probable lack of back rooks, will probably go both.

Mailman the 2nd

Justin Bieber

Yeah same. Might get both. Either of them will have to get it at times.

henry

Murphy should help free up Harbow a little as he takes a key position role and generally doesn't provide much run off half back. At this stage going only with Bock due to his price.

Hagebear

Toga

Quote from: Hagebear on October 22, 2012, 09:30:46 PM
Will consider both but Bock is a Lock ;)

i agree. bock is locked in (providing he's ready to go rd 1), and harbrow might come in depending on if i need cash elsewhere!

Football Factory

Bock        bock  bock
                          bock   bock

ronl

Would like to start with Bock but worried that he'll need a few games to get the leg right.  I've been stung too many times playing unfit players and have sworn "never again".

Adamant

I've got neither atm, but would definitely go Bock out of the two.

The 60k extra and DPP makes him an easy choice.

Will need to monitor his pre-season before locking him in just yet. Another nice write up. :)

POK252

Harbrow ATM. If Bock looks good in the NAB and plays RD 1 then will definitly get him. But a broken leg is hard to come back from and think he might struggle to make an impact and might also miss games through soreness fairly regularly

Ricochet

Quote from: Toga on October 22, 2012, 11:08:03 AM
The judgement:

Price: Bock.
Scoring ability: Bock.
Consistency: Bock.
Durability: Harbrow
Verdict:  Bock!
lol not very one sided.
Bock for me over Harbrow as well

Toga

Quote from: Ricochet on October 23, 2012, 12:26:38 PM
Quote from: Toga on October 22, 2012, 11:08:03 AM
The judgement:

Price: Bock.
Scoring ability: Bock.
Consistency: Bock.
Durability: Harbrow
Verdict:  Bock!
lol not very one sided.
Bock for me over Harbrow as well

Lol well he does have the upper hand in all of those categories!