Main Menu

When I was a kid...

Started by Spinking, October 21, 2012, 11:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinking

I'm only the ripe young age of 30, but it's still one of my favourite conversations over a beer to describe the crazy developments over my lifetime.

When I was a kid...

There was no Internet, and pretty much nobody had a computer at home.

There were only 2 TV stations and they both went to test pattern after midnight every night.

You could have a kick on the ground at the MCG after the game and at half time.

There were 1 and 2 cents coins and these could actually buy quite a few things.

What was it like when you were a kid?

kilbluff1985

times have not changed...

still have old people saying "when i was a kid" it seems that never gets old ;D

Dudge

When i was a kid, your'e dad probably wasn't born :). A treat for myself was a plastic footy, and if the dogs put a hole in it, i'd have to wait weeks for a new one--true story :(

CrowsFan

Well my dad is 63 so I doubt you're that old Dudge ;)

Dudge

Quote from: CrowsFan on October 21, 2012, 01:06:46 PM
Well my dad is 63 so I doubt you're that old Dudge ;)

You're right CF, you're dads got 11 years on me mate, but look at it this way, he was only 11 when i popped out ;)

RiOtChEsS

When i was a kid they had Dukes Of Hazzard cards in chewing gum packets 8)

T Dog

Quote from: Marcz on October 21, 2012, 01:49:42 PM
When i was a kid they had Dukes Of Hazzard cards in chewing gum packets 8)
I remember footy cards and Batman cards in bubble gum packs."Scanlons" i think the brand was.
Footy cards/photos from Mobil petrol stations..especially remember Barassi, Whitten, Tuddy and all the poses they did.  :o

Ringo

To really show my age:

When I was a kid:

TV was Black and White and usually closed transmission at 10:00pm if you had TV.  If not you listedend to a large 16 valave radio.
You could buy a bag of Lollies from the corner stores (not many left these days) for six pence. Yes I grew up in the days of pounds, shillings and pence prior to 14th February 1966. (Dudge may remeber that as decimal currency day).
School sport was compulsory for all on Friday afternoon - Not that it worried me.
You were able to go onto the Gabba as players left the field and chase autographs.
Very little sport was played on Sunday. All Junior sport was played on Saturdays.
A treat for us kids was ice cream for Sunday Dinner.
No such thing as a Graduation dinner been thought of,

To show how far technology had advanced computers were not heard of, calculators were not allowed in examinations and for difficult calculations we used a slide ruler.

Grazz

When i was a kid you could get 5 Cobbers for a cent and the Deli sold cigaretes individually to help us poor young smokers out  :o
glad thats changed for the better.

Torpedo10

Quote from: Grazz on October 21, 2012, 04:18:39 PM
When i was a kid you could get 5 Cobbers for a cent and the Deli sold cigaretes individually to help us poor young smokers out  :o
glad thats changed for the better.
LOL, where they an overpay?  :P

Ziplock

when I was a kid...

POKEMON!

1990s ftw.

elephants

When I was born, my favourite band were only 3 years old <3 blink-182 <3

I'm still convinced I was born 10 years too late hahah!

KoopKicka

Im still a kid :o

When I was a kid I used to scooter to the local video store every week to hire my favourite Nintendo 64 game Banjo Tooie, there were Yowie chocolates in the supermarkets (the best), I would watch the wild thornberrys every day and I would rape the A button of my GBA every day with a pokemon emerald cartridge inside. I was also a lot more appreciative of things, something which todays 6-9 year olds arent, and its shocking.

So yeah, only have 15 years and a half years to reminisce on, not as much as you guys, but still. :P

elephants

Quote from: KoopKicka on October 21, 2012, 04:36:26 PM
Im still a kid :o

When I was a kid I used to scooter to the local video store every week to hire my favourite Nintendo 64 game Banjo Tooie, there were Yowie chocolates in the supermarkets (the best), I would watch the wild thornberrys every day and I would rape the A button of my GBA every day with a pokemon emerald cartridge inside. I was also a lot more appreciative of things, something which todays 6-9 year olds arent, and its shocking.

So yeah, only have 15 years and a half years to reminisce on, not as much as you guys, but still. :P

I swore you were 2-3 years older :P

Torpedo10

When I was a kid there was internet and this forum called 'Fanfooty'. It was great and still is.  :P