This or That? - Lance Franklin vs Steve Johnson

Started by Adamant, October 20, 2012, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamant

The two highest averaging forwards of 2012 are sure to feature in many coaches sides in 2013. Most will just have Buddy, some (including me) will be tempted to start without Buddy as he only averaged 94 without that 204, and some might even be crazy enough to start with neither, but head to head...who will you pick?

Lance Franklin                                                             Steve Johnson

Age: 25                                                                                  Age: 29

Price: $520,700                                                                      Price: $501,100

Position: FWD                                                                        Position: FWD

2012 Average: 101.2                                                             2012 Average: 97.4 (102.25 without injury affected 1)

Games Played: 16                                                                  Games Played: 21

High Score: 204                                                                     High Score: 163

Low Score: 67                                                                        Low Score: 1 (injury affected)

100+ Scores: 9 (and 2 x 95+)                                                 100+ Scores: 8 (and 4 x 95+)

Standard Deviation: 33.4130                                                  Standard Deviation: 29.3528

Price: Steve Johnson - Higher average than Buddy if you exclude his sub-affected game, and is 20k cheaper.

Scoring Ability: Lance Franklin - Both have had similar averages over the past 3 years, but Buddy is 4 years younger and starting to hit
his peak, whereas Stevie J will stay about the same or is probably on the decline.

Consistency: Steve Johnson - Both very inconsistent, but Stevie J takes this one out (mainly due to Buddy's 204).

Durability: Steve Johnson - Stevie J playing 76 out of a possible 88 games in the last 4 years, just edges out Buddy's 73/88.

Winner: Steve Johnson

Final Thoughts: Although Stevie J looks the better pick based on this, I have currently gone with Buddy as my top forward. Buddy will always pump out a few massive scores and if you don't have him when he does, you will be kicking yourselves. I have always looked at SJ as an upgrade target and despite being underpriced, 2013 will be no different.

elephants

Very nice mate.

Personally, I'll be steering clear of both to start with but will look to get them in for dud fwd line 'bargains' asap.

Excellent work champ 8)

T Dog

Great work Adamant
I will take a loss elsewhere to get them both probably.. 8)

Adamant

Quote from: elephants on October 20, 2012, 04:24:41 PM
Very nice mate.

Personally, I'll be steering clear of both to start with but will look to get them in for dud fwd line 'bargains' asap.

Excellent work champ 8)

Thanks mate. :)

If Rocky is DPP, then he will definitely be in my side....and he may take Buddy's spot.

Justin Bieber

Meh on Buddy. I don't see him getting 13 goals in a game next year. Probably not 10. Might upgrade to him.

Football Factory

Quote from: Adamant on October 20, 2012, 04:35:07 PM
Quote from: elephants on October 20, 2012, 04:24:41 PM
Very nice mate.

Excellent work champ 8)

Thanks mate. :)

If Rocky is DPP, then he will definitely be in my side....and he may take Buddy's spot.
I agree ill have both Buddy and S.J unless Rocky is a DPP and then i will sacrifice one

Shihan7

Another good write up Ad!
I've got Buddy atm, but that may change if Rocky is DPP 8)

oc16

Colliwobblers

I still remember putting a post up about getting on stevie j when he was almost $200K discounted, but no one including me was confident he would ever hit form.....

well he showed us hey!

I agree great write up, I ave always started buddy, like swan or ablett some players score so high at times it's just better to pay the money and HAVE them from day 1.

I can't start both with my plan for a 5 elite mid this season so I too go with Buddy.

I would replace buddy with Rockliff also but I just can't see him getting DPP this time, Swan played forward a LOT more this season too, and may do so more with beams stepping up and Ball coming back but I don't expect to EVER be able to start him as a fwd....

think there is a limit to how gernerous the DT gods are with allowing us midfielders in our fwd and def, and Rocky may be a little too generous i feel for 2013, changes a lot of teams if he is tho.

for now Buddy at F1.

tbagrocks

Agree with CW some players are locks every year and you cannot afford not to have them, Buddy is that man in your forward line.

SJ was brilliant in the Cats midfield when needed for this year, but that was a need for this year, aren't they going to playing the younger guys there? Motlop, Duncan, Caddy, Stringer, Christensen, Hunt + Bartell and Kelly etc... I think SJ has a tired old body and will not be needed in the mid like 2012, will play half forward/deep forward like the old days but he's an old day himself and I don't trust a guys body that has played so much footy in the last six years with finals.

nrich102

Football Factory

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 21, 2012, 07:48:19 AM
Agree with CW some players are locks every year and you cannot afford not to have them, Buddy is that man in your forward line.

SJ was brilliant in the Cats midfield when needed for this year, but that was a need for this year, aren't they going to playing the younger guys there? Motlop, Duncan, Caddy, Stringer, Christensen, Hunt + Bartell and Kelly etc... I think SJ has a tired old body and will not be needed in the mid like 2012, will play half forward/deep forward like the old days but he's an old day himself and I don't trust a guys body that has played so much footy in the last six years with finals.
From 2007-2012 he has averaged 94,92,99,94,107,97 playing forward mainly. At 29 i dont see why he cant do it again, that being said he does go through quiet patches and more than likely will drop 100-150k at some stage. Probably a good upgrade option, but what if he goes nuts at the start averaging 100 .. he wont drop in price for a while and you miss out on a forward averaging 100. With Beams and Sidebum gone and not starting with Buddy and S.J it doesnt leave you with much choice.

Ajax22

I'll be goin Buddy. I think I would like to see where the cats are playing Johnson this year before picking him up. Add to that he always has a few quiet games to drop his price at some point he will be an upgrade target.

And this year I'm actually gonna grab Stevie J when he drops rather than umm and ahh and grab Clancee Pearce instead...

elephants