This or That? - Luke Ball vs Andrew Embley

Started by KoopKicka, October 19, 2012, 11:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoopKicka

So, you've decided you're gonna go with a mid-pricer as your 4th midfield position? Pretty risky eh? The 2 premier names that have probably come into your head are Luke Ball from Collingwood and Andrew Embley from West Coast. The question is, which one should you pick?

Luke Ball - Collingwood Magpies

Price: 266,500

2011 Average: 96.3

Andrew Embley - West Coast Eagles

Price: 263,900

2011 Average: 94

They are both relatively the same price, 3k isnt really that much of a difference here, until you start hitting the cap. :P Both players are coming back into stacked midfields, Ball with Swan,Pendles,Beams,Sidebottom,Daisy,Young and Johnson and Embley with Gaff,Shuey,Scooter,Rosa,Priddis,Kerr and Chris Masten, this will ultimately take away points from the other players, Embleys body has started to falter over the later part of his career, and next year you would think would be his last, whereas Luke Ball, apart from this year has had a good run with injuries, last missing a game in 2009, so Ball slightly beats him there, Many people are fearing (myself included) as due to Embleys age and coming back from injury, he will be sub a lot, and thats probably a fair comment, but so is Luke Ball, and you would think the Pies would be cautios with him also, however he is only 28.

Price: DRAW

Scoring ability: DRAW

Ceiling: Andrew Embley

Consistency: Luke Ball

Injuries: Luke Ball

Being Sub: Luke Ball

WINNER: Luke Ball

Look, I wouldnt be taking either, but Ball is your safer bet, purely for the fact his body is holding up better than Embleys, and he is more consistent, but if you want a player wholl give you 80-90s plus the odd 150 on your bench, go for Embley, but I would be taking Ball.

Sorry if that was a bit bland, I'm quite tired.

elephants

Very nice and 100% agree.

Not bland at all champ :)

Justin Bieber

Adamant

Great work KK! Will have a crack at one of these myself, might get around to one tonight, if not tommorow.

I agree, Ball is the better pick IMO. Embley is solid, but Ball just ahead due to age and consistency :)

Ajax22

Justin Bieber

^  not really. I've seen it brought up in about 2-3 in the last few months.

Ajax22

Anyways as a straight head to head Ball wins out. Bye rounds could be a slight issue though since a lot of people will already have one or two mids from Collingwood. Also Embley ended up playing late last year so you would think he will get a good preseason under his belt and come back firing, with a good draw he might be more worthwhile.

If choosing Ball it would help a lot if Collingwood had a late bye round so you could just upgrade him to a premo mid at that point. I think Embley could quite easily start stronger than Ball and if your just using them as a stepping stone to another mid his high ceiling could yield a higher max price more quickly. Over he course of the year tho Ball should win easily

Ajax22

Quote from: whatlez on October 19, 2012, 11:52:40 PM
^  not really. I've seen it brought up in about 2-3 in the last few months.

Perhaps but in this case it's a bit risky to be starting one let alone both, starting both would very likely end badly

elephants

I used that pic first, just sayin'.

I'll do one tonight as well KK ;)

Adamant

Quote from: elephants on October 20, 2012, 12:10:07 AM
I used that pic first, just sayin'.

I'll do one tonight as well KK ;)
Which one are you doing ele? I dont want ours to collide. :P

Nieso FC

Currently have both in my mids with the rest being Premiums

aces-high

Not sure if i'm going to start a midpricer. I still reckon the 4 premiums and 4 rookies is the best option in the mids. If i do pick one of these 2 in the end though, it will defs be Lukey b!

Capper

Nice write up KK but what cant you go both like whatlez said??

Both guys should score well, and lets face it they will be both cash cows anyway.

tbagrocks

Ball v Crouch/O'Meara/Viney, Ball plays 22 games Crouch 15+, Ball starts every week in the mid Crouch gets some subs, Ball scores more 85-100 Crouch 50-75, Ball rises in price for an upgrade about 150-200k same as a good Rook,

Who you going to put at M5? I will have Luke Ball ;)

Football Factory

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 20, 2012, 02:59:57 AM
Ball v Crouch/O'Meara/Viney, Ball plays 22 games Crouch 15+, Ball starts every week in the mid Crouch gets some subs, Ball scores more 85-100 Crouch 50-75, Ball rises in price for an upgrade about 150-200k same as a good Rook,

Who you going to put at M5? I will have Luke Ball ;)
I agree .. but a more realistic prediction will be he plays 18-20 games dont forget he is coming back from knee reco, surely he will be rested here and there. The risk with Ball will be if he knackers his knee again but ill take the risk. With 4 premo's and 1 midpricer you still have 3 rooks .. Omeara,Viney,Wines ?   still enough good rooks to make you plenty of cash i reckon