Name: Jonathon Patton
Club: GWS
Height: 197cm
Weight: 95kg
2012 Average: 35.6
2012 High Score: 46
2012 Low Score:  22
2012 Subbed Scores: 37, 33, 40.

Summary: No.1 Draft Pick for the year, Patton had an injury riddled season, and should be eligible for a discount (pricing him around the 160k- ironically cheaper than he started this year). However, he is a young key forward, and he's shown relatively little this season (taking out his subbed scores, his average actually decreases), so the only thing going for him is his JS and price. Personally, if he was around 120k, he might be worth the punt... but honestly as a young KPP playing for a bottom 4 team, who isn't even the main target with Cameron on field. I'm going to say pass- he could be DT relevant one day, but not in 2013.

elephants

I expect to hear a lot more about Patton in fantasy circles over the next 2-10 years.

Until then though, I'll be passing.

Good write-up though champ ;)

Ziplock

I'm actually a bit worried, from a DT perspective, that neither Patton or Cameron will ever become true DT options- just on the basis that having 2 key forwards of their calibre is just going to spread the goals and subsequently the DT points around... like 80+, sure, but ironically, if either of them were by themselves they could probably hit Franklin like key forward scores :P

Like, how many teams have two successful (DT wise) key forwards? Hawthorns probably the closest, with roughy and franklin (although roughy picks up a lot of stats rucking), then look at the rest
Adelaide- Walker and Tippett (even removing concussion scores) are still only 80 ppg players atm.
Brisbane- Brown... notice how much clarkes scores improved going to melb?
Collingwood- when dawes fire, cloke seems to drop off. When dawes doesn't fire... well, recently cloke has just been off in general.
Essendon- do they even have a key forward?
Fremantle- Go get your back pack on pav...
Geelong- Hawkins rise with the descent of pods
Gold Coast- too young to really judge
Giants- See goldcoast
Melbourne- Mitch Clarke...
North Melbourne- Petrie
Port- Schulz? The ball doesn't get there enough to matter...
Richmond- Riewoldt
St Kilda- Riewoldt... I mean, technically kosi, but lol, just porves my point.
Sydney- yeah, not really
West Cost- who's the talls of choice, Darling and Kennedy? Not really DT stars at this point.
Dogs- aren't really applicable.

My point is, even when there are two serviceable key forwards (tippet/ walker, cloke/dawes), you don't ever really see them fire simultaneously, unless they're the only ones on their teams kicking any goals...

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Ziplock on October 15, 2012, 12:56:11 PM
I'm going to say pass- he could be DT relevant one day, but not in 2013.

Not in 2013 and not ever imo.

Hagebear

No for me. Haven't we learnt our lesson about KPP forwards?? (buddy being the exception)

Adamant

Cant see him being DT relevant for at least 2-3+ years being a young KPP at GWS.
Good write up Zip.

Shihan7

Good write up Zip.
Buddy will be the only KPP in my team.

Spinking

Other better options at that price or cheaper. I think Zips point about he and Cameron pinching points off each other is valid particularly for the next couple of years when they won't be running up large scores. A no from me.

/////////////////////////

he'll surprise you all next year after a preseason and will come 2nd in the coleman

timmyparso

Quote from: ///////////////////////// on November 18, 2012, 01:22:11 PM
he'll surprise you all next year after a preseason and will come 2nd in the coleman

He won't come second but he will increase to $300K+ by second half of season, with lack of other rookie forwards paying $180K is not that bad of an option for 2013 given this will be his first full pre-season and will hit round 1 fit a ready. Toby Greene the ball-magnet (as refered to by Kevin Sheedy) will feed him regularly and should get you an average of 70-75 before you upgrade him latter in the season.

stew42

Quote from: Ziplock on October 15, 2012, 03:31:01 PM
I'm actually a bit worried, from a DT perspective, that neither Patton or Cameron will ever become true DT options- just on the basis that having 2 key forwards of their calibre is just going to spread the goals and subsequently the DT points around... like 80+, sure, but ironically, if either of them were by themselves they could probably hit Franklin like key forward scores :P

Like, how many teams have two successful (DT wise) key forwards? Hawthorns probably the closest, with roughy and franklin (although roughy picks up a lot of stats rucking), then look at the rest
Adelaide- Walker and Tippett (even removing concussion scores) are still only 80 ppg players atm.
Brisbane- Brown... notice how much clarkes scores improved going to melb?
Collingwood- when dawes fire, cloke seems to drop off. When dawes doesn't fire... well, recently cloke has just been off in general.
Essendon- do they even have a key forward?
Fremantle- Go get your back pack on pav...
Geelong- Hawkins rise with the descent of pods
Gold Coast- too young to really judge
Giants- See goldcoast
Melbourne- Mitch Clarke...
North Melbourne- Petrie
Port- Schulz? The ball doesn't get there enough to matter...
Richmond- Riewoldt
St Kilda- Riewoldt... I mean, technically kosi, but lol, just porves my point.
Sydney- yeah, not really
West Cost- who's the talls of choice, Darling and Kennedy? Not really DT stars at this point.
Dogs- aren't really applicable.

My point is, even when there are two serviceable key forwards (tippet/ walker, cloke/dawes), you don't ever really see them fire simultaneously, unless they're the only ones on their teams kicking any goals...
Tippett and Reid...

Ziplock

I was talking about DT relevant- note that this was before tippett had gone to sydney, and reid isn't, atm, dt relevant.

Andrew

With the lack of forward line rookies, a 2nd year gun with certain job security has to be tempting. Just trying to figure out what he needs to average just for the first half of the year to be worthwhile... 60? Can he do it? GWS early draw isn't helpful, with Port Adelaide, Melbourne and Gold Coast all in the first 5 rounds, but only the Gold Coast game a home game for GWS. Round 4, Melbourne v GWS at the MCG. Not only will the ground be completely empty, but Patton scored 22 at the MCG last year... Most Patton can average for mine is 50, for a $80k rise? Gotta be better out there.

timmyparso

Patton was really held back last year with injuries, had very little pre-season and really only played to get exposure to the game at top level in the second half of year.

He will overtake Cameron as No 1 key forward, has size to match it with any key defender and a stong overhead contested mark. He was No 1 Draft in 2011 for a reason.

Priced at $183K he is a bargain if you are game.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: timmyparso on January 11, 2013, 12:25:54 PM
Patton was really held back last year with injuries, had very little pre-season and really only played to get exposure to the game at top level in the second half of year.

He will overtake Cameron as No 1 key forward, has size to match it with any key defender and a stong overhead contested mark. He was No 1 Draft in 2011 for a reason.

Priced at $183K he is a bargain if you are game.

I wouldn't agree he's a bargain. Look at some of the key forwards and their DT averages in their first two years -

Buddy - 51.2 and 57
Cloke - 47.4 and 56.1
Hawkins - 45.1 and 58.3
Roughy - 45.7 and 57.0
Walker - 50.3 and 62.4

Given that he's also in a team that had the worst inside 50 differential in 2012 I'd say Patton will put on 100k tops. Not necessarily what you'd want from someone you're shelling out 183k for.