Main Menu

Stars turned backs on GWS

Started by Ricochet, October 11, 2012, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

Quote from: Scrads on October 12, 2012, 08:52:15 PM
I think I saw somewhere that signing delisted players via free agency doesn't start until November 1, so that means the Giants could potentially still yet sign players pike Seaby, Rodan, Symes etc
But only from clubs they didn't from last year only one per club!

Ziplock

we could still take a lot of the guys in the pre season draft even so.
Quote from: tbagrocks on October 13, 2012, 10:54:46 AM
I think I saw somewhere that signing delisted players via free agency doesn't start until November 1, so that means the Giants could potentially still yet sign players pike Seaby, Rodan, Symes etc

does free agency limit how many players from a club you can pinch? if not, then the giants original stipulations on their signing of out of contract players doesn't apply...

tbagrocks

Yep only one [layer per club over the two years, which is why the Tippett debate about him walking to GC because the Giants couldn't sign him, but that is the draft anyway so it doesn't count, but no they cannot sign an Adelaide player because of Davis

Capper

Quote from: Ziplock on October 13, 2012, 03:11:26 PM

does free agency limit how many players from a club you can pinch? if not, then the giants original stipulations on their signing of out of contract players doesn't apply...
does it matter as they all are free agents now they have been delisted

tbagrocks

Unless they are picking them up as their one uncontracted player from a club, they will have to draft them in the pre-season draft

Ziplock

Quote from: tabs on October 13, 2012, 03:18:50 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on October 13, 2012, 03:11:26 PM

does it matter as they all are free agents now they have been delisted

^ aren't delisted players unrestricted free agents?
Imperative word 'unrestricted'

Giants could have signed him- tippetts not a free agent, so we would have needed to trade  for him. That being said, we don't need him, so we didn't even bother. Cameron's almost as good as tippett is now, except without the concussions, and Patton's going to  be twice the player.

Scrads

tbag I think an uncontracted player is slightly different to a delisted player, I think GWS (and any club for that matter) would be free to sign as many of those delisted players as they like.

tbagrocks

You can't just sign a player, you must draft a player to put him on a list, any uncontracted player wanting to get picked up needs to either apply for the National Draft, Rookie Draft or pre-season Draft

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 13, 2012, 11:40:28 PM
You can't just sign a player, you must draft a player to put him on a list, any uncontracted player wanting to get picked up needs to either apply for the National Draft, Rookie Draft or pre-season Draft

didn't that get modified in free agency?

tbagrocks

Yeah well I guess it did, oops ::)

Scrads

Yeah delisted players regardless of how many years service they had now become 'Delisted Free Agents' and are basically just like unrestricted free agent's I am pretty sure tbag :)

Ringo

http://www.footyrecruits.com/footy-recruits-free-agency.html

"A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and has been delisted by his club.
The player is a free agent and is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
The player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
The player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.
His original club, which chose to delist him, does not receive any compensation pick for the loss of the player."

http://m.afl.com.au/news.htm?action=handleNewsArticleById&id=148486&listRetrievedBy=TEAM&listId=40

Reading this it appears de-listed players can not be traded until 1st November.