Main Menu

Stars turned backs on GWS

Started by Ricochet, October 11, 2012, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149533/default.aspx

QuoteGREATER Western Sydney initially targeted experienced opposition players with its mini-draft concessions but opted to take draft picks when opposition clubs proved reluctant to trade their stars, Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni says.

QuoteThe Giants' mini-draft riches were different to those the AFL envisaged when it announced the concession - which expansion predecessor Gold Coast did not enjoy - in October 2009.

At the time, the AFL's rationale was that GWS, being based in a largely unexplored AFL region, would need greater assistance than the Suns to attract experienced opposition players.

But Silvagni said despite the Giants' best efforts, the clubs bidding for the rights to the country's elite 17-year-olds had preferred to offer draft picks.

"Our focus initially was to get some quality players through the door, senior players," Silvagni told Gillette AFL Trade Radio on Wednesday.

"Having said that, probably clubs weren't forthcoming in terms of what we wanted. We knew that the picks were valuable and obviously we wanted quality players back.

"I can totally understand why those clubs didn't want to give up those players.

"So we really needed to move forward and look to secure the best possible picks that these priority picks could bring."

Silvagni said he had no doubt the AFL wanted the Giants to use the mini-draft to attract senior opposition players.

"But at the same time, those picks were valuable picks and what was coming forth in terms of players didn't represent the same value as the picks," Silvagni said.

"So we needed to make a decision on what the best situation was for our club

tbagrocks

Obviously they didn't look very hard and maybe they only went after the stars, well guess what? You already have 15 stars under 20, you needed any experienced player you could and you didn't! You suck Silvani you and your team!

Ricochet

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 11, 2012, 12:57:37 PM
Obviously they didn't look very hard and maybe they only went after the stars, well guess what? You already have 15 stars under 20, you needed any experienced player you could and you didn't! You suck Silvani you and your team!
haha i thought you would like this one mate

tbagrocks

;D Yeah! I heard Sos yesterday and just thought boloney! Really they could go after a Symes or Rodan and the likes, just to add size and experience! But they won't! Because they can have all the best kids available! This is wrong, 25 top draft picks all maturing at the same time seems ok to them, but they're doing it wrong! They really need the seniors now and it doesn't really matter how good they are! Fail by the AFL and GWS, think I have said enough now :-X  :P

Ziplock

symes and rodan wouldn't be worth one of those mini draft picks if you put them together...

symes has been delisted anyway? we might just grab him pre-season/ rookie.

j959

Quote from: Ziplock on October 11, 2012, 03:57:32 PM
symes and rodan wouldn't be worth one of those mini draft picks if you put them together...

+1

but i get what you mean tba, they need a bit of experience around the kids a la Power, Brogan (sometimes), JMac ... but as Zip wrote, the mini-draft picks are way more valuable than a Symes or Rodan ... even a player like Brad Ebert (established mid-level) moving from WCE to PTA type would not be worth a mini-draft pick imo ...

Justin Bieber

tbagrocks

Quote from: j959 on October 11, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

+1

but i get what you mean tba, they need a bit of experience around the kids a la Power, Brogan (sometimes), JMac ... but as Zip wrote, the mini-draft picks are way more valuable than a Symes or Rodan ... even a player like Brad Ebert (established mid-level) moving from WCE to PTA type would not be worth a mini-draft pick imo ...
They don't have to worth phe pre-draft pick, basically they are cheating by not getting players, and I don't mean trade one for Symes, trade later picks for them, but don't just say we can't get stars because they don't need them, they have them in the lids, just flowering get older players to play for a few years with the kids, bu  oh no they want start for their pre-draft concessions, even though it is a huge advantage nobody else has ever had, they still want the full value of the and they couldn't get it in players so they tahe picks 2 and three

flower THEM!!!

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 11, 2012, 06:38:15 PM
Quote from: j959 on October 11, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

+1

They don't have to worth phe pre-draft pick, basically they are cheating by not getting players, and I don't mean trade one for Symes, trade later picks for them, but don't just say we can't get stars because they don't need them, they have them in the lids, just flowering get older players to play for a few years with the kids, bu  oh no they want start for their pre-draft concessions, even though it is a huge advantage nobody else has ever had, they still want the full value of the and they couldn't get it in players so they tahe picks 2 and three

flower THEM!!!

you are the most one eyed person I've ever communicated with...

'GREATER Western Sydney initially targeted experienced opposition players with its mini-draft concessions but opted to take draft picks when opposition clubs proved reluctant to trade their stars, Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni says.'

"Our focus initially was to get some quality players through the door, senior players," Silvagni told Gillette AFL Trade Radio on Wednesday.'

'"Having said that, probably clubs weren't forthcoming in terms of what we wanted. We knew that the picks were valuable and obviously we wanted quality players back.''

Did you even read the article?

While the AFL envisaged the mini-draft concessions being used to attract experienced players, AFL media manager Patrick Keane told AFL.com.au the League had not wanted to restrict the Giants' use of them or their other list-establishment concessions.

"Both the Suns and Giants have not taken the path of putting on great numbers of established players, but that's not to criticise them, just recognising that they have gone a different way," Keane said.

yeah, they wanted to use their concessions to the fullness of it's value- it's like how port secured monfries via a trade rather than free agency...

your entire post was ridiculously incoherent, 'we can't get stars because they don't need them' that barely even makes sense.

The AFL has publicly stated that their strategy is not cheating.

I think we will be signing older players... players like symes, seaby who have been delisted and ironically as lez said, I reckon we'll probably get hargrave/ gilbee as well for a year. We'll probably approach players like scarlett and green as well.

So basically, calm your farm, you just sound like a mentally deficient spastic, foaming at the mouth about GWS cheating, when they're not. If the afl didn't want them to trade for picks, they would have stipulated that, but they didn't because they didn't want to flower with their recruitment strategy.

Cicjose

the Giants spine looks really good on paper by the way

FB Davis (22)

CHB Mohr (23)

R Giles (23)

RR Greene (19)

CHF Patton (19)

FF Cameron (19)

nothing wrong with building a team around that?

tbagrocks

Yeah I rushed what I wanted to say and maybe should of proof read before posting, however, GWS do not need to sighn star players, they got Skully, Davis and Ward and all the top kids, they just need older players so their reasoning for not getting players with their picks is flawed to me, I'm just bringing awareness to it ;) They didn't need to trade the concessions for stars just average players to help keep the team competitive for a few years! A blind monkey could get that point!

Ziplock

not with your sentence structure :P

those picks are worth more than just 'average' players.

to put it into perspective, since you're an adelaide man, Kurt Tippett is leaving the crows this season, whether it be through the draft, or by trading, so in essence adelaide have to get rid of him if they want anything in return, this means that they're in a very similar solution to the GWS mini-draft one.

they're not going to sell themselves short- if they were they would have already traded him to sydney for pick 22.

so, should adelaide sell tippett for what he's worth, and push to get close to his value, or just take pick 22?

the parallels are very similar.

Cicjose

Ziplock

Quote from: Cicjose on October 12, 2012, 01:26:10 PM
http://www.bigpondsport.com/scared-of-gws-you-shouldnt-be/tabid/91/newsid/96687/default.aspx

A lot of that is fair enough, it's true that not every first round draft pick is going to be a super star, and that a lot of them fail.

fact is though, top draft picks have a far greater chance of becoming beasts than lower ones,

for example, first round draft picks
2001- Hodge, Ball, Judd, Bartel, Power, Dal Santo
2002- Goddard, Wells, (Do we count Brennan?), Mcveigh, Mackie, Mcintosh, Schulz (underated as a player- would have been shredding the comp these past couple of years in port didn't suck so bad.)
2003- Cooney, Walker, Sylvia, Mclean, Waters, Stanton, Chaplin
2004- Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Franklin, Lewis (Look at what the hawks picked up in that draft, and how much they shred now).
2005- Murphy, Thomas, Pendlebury, Ryder, Clark, Higgins, Hurn, Jones, Birchall, Varcoe (not all of those are elite, but all when fit are easily in any clubs 22... except ryder probably couldn't fit into the eagles...)
2006- Gibbs, Leuenburger, Boak, Selwood, Reid, Frawley, Riewoldt
now we kind of get to the point where players are still really young and developing, so the numbers are going to drop off a bit
2007- Cotchin, Masten, Mcevoy, Dangerfield, Rioli, Ebert, Grimes
2008- Nic nat, Harlett, Yarran, Rich, Davis, Sidebottom
2009- Trengove, Martin, Talia, Jetta
2010- Swallow, Bennell, Gaff, Heppell
2011- Cameron (not technically first round, but in essence was), Greene

'Even if the Giants can lock down all their puzzle pieces, a great team will always beat a team of great players. You have to be both to win flag, and so far GWS are neither. '

I'd say the giants have demonstrated a couple of times this season that they're a pretty great team- they challenged top 8 sides for 1/2, up to 3/4, they beat teams like GC, Port who were more experienced and should have run over them

Scrads

I think I saw somewhere that signing delisted players via free agency doesn't start until November 1, so that means the Giants could potentially still yet sign players pike Seaby, Rodan, Symes etc