Main Menu

Clutch in athletes

Started by Jay, October 11, 2012, 12:02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

QuoteIn American sports terminology, "clutch" means performing well under extreme pressure. It often refers to high levels of production in a critical game, such as Game 7 of a best-of-seven series, the last hole of a Major championship in golf, or the final minute(s) in a close match. Being "clutch" is often seen by sportswriters and fans as an innate skill which some players have while others do not.

I find this a very interesting topic. Discussing whether a player has or hasn't got the 'clutch gene' (as my man Skip Bayless likes to call it) can generate some good discussion.

Take Lebron James for example; the greatest player in the NBA and perhaps the most gifted player of all-time! Yet in 2011 he turned into the 'frozen one' and choked in front of the world, and not even the most passionate Lebron James fan can argue with that, he didn't deliver. In 2012 it was a different story - Celtics had the chance to close it out in Boston until that was all put on hold by a Lebron James freak show...I cannot figure out what changed between Lebron James' ears between 2011 finals and 2012 finals, but something sure did!

Do I consider Lebron a bona fide clutch player, no, no I don't (well not yet anyway)...not until he takes the last shot and delivers eg. Pierce, Kobe, Melo etc. But I admit, he's getting there :) It is then that I will even contemplate MJ vs LBJ talks

Who do you consider the most 'clutch' athlete of all-time? Gotta be Tiger Woods in my books. And if you want to relate this to AFL, i'll say Jimmy Bartel.

Thoughts?

EDIT: this link is very much worth a read: http://www.reviewon.com/what-motivates-pro-athletes-to-become-clutch-when-it-counts.html

monstrum

Jay

tbagrocks

monstrum

Hard to look past "the last shot"  plus all the other plays he's made ;)

Jay

RiOtChEsS

u cant go past Michael Jordan, right now Kobe Bryant, but MJ just did it over and over again...

Clutch in AFL is tricky one, i think if u look at positions it simplifies it a bit...

Holz

Roger federer. Tennis one of the few sports were you have to close out a game and can't let the clock run out. Add to that if you lose your out of the comp. To make soo many consecutive semifinals is remarkable

tbagrocks

Pete Sampras could always produce a big serve when he needed to

CrowsFan

Going clutch in AFL you would have to say after the finals performances that Tex Walker would be up there. Kicked a very tough goal against Freo after the HT siren to give them a chance of getting back in to it. Then kicked a goal against the Hawks from outside 50 after the HT siren to give the Crows back the lead. THEN kicked a goal with 20 seconds left in the game to give the Crows a chance at victory.

If that's not clutch I don't know what is!

Torpedo10

Fed & Sampras were good but no one could pull out a clutch point like McEnroe AKA The Brat.

Capper

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 11, 2012, 11:07:18 AM
Pete Sampras could always produce a big serve when he needed to
+1

Pistol Pete always knew what to do.

monstrum

Malcolm blight and his torp!

GO KANGAZ

quinny88

Kevin Durant will be known as one of the best by the time his career is done. He's made for big moments.

In AFL I think Matthew Pavlich is the guy who's hands you want it in late in a close game. Has proven in time and time again.

Mat0369

Quote from: quinny88 on October 16, 2012, 12:51:02 AM
Kevin Durant will be known as one of the best by the time his career is done. He's made for big moments.

In AFL I think Matthew Pavlich is the guy who's hands you want it in late in a close game. Has proven in time and time again.

Pav has always been criticised for not being clutch and missing goals he should have kicked in big moments.