NBA Athletes vs AFL Athletes

Started by monstrum, October 10, 2012, 01:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monstrum

http://mikeorthedon.com/2012/04/08/afl-players-are-not-impressive-athletes/

I found this article i think most NBA fans will like, people who dont like NBA would probably have a response thats a good example of the type of people described in the article  :P (but probably wont read it anyway)

Being from Melbourne it makes perfect sense to me, interested to see what people from outside Melbourne think about it...

Holz

Very interesting article, I don't really agree with it though I would say in both sports the players are excellent athletes. The NBA probably is a step up not because its basketball but because they have more money pumped into the sport. Basketball is all about explosive power so no doubt they are stronger and can jump higher.

The Endurance they talk about should not just be how long a person can run for but also muscle endurance. I would say that a NBA player will have the bigger leap of the two but an AFL player would probably last alot longer at close to their maximum vertical than a NBA player.

A NBA player would struggle to play AFL and vice Versa. Both are professional athletes and the game is too different to compare.

RiOtChEsS

I think AFL players would adapt to Basketball more so than vice versa, Basketballers would not be used to getting tackled at all...

That said imagine how horrendous it would look, NBA players trying to kick and AFL players trying to shoot ;D

Holz

Quote from: Marcz on October 10, 2012, 02:22:13 PM
I think AFL players would adapt to Basketball more so than vice versa, Basketballers would not be used to getting tackled at all...

That said imagine how horrendous it would look, NBA players trying to kick and AFL players trying to shoot ;D

Would love to see someone try and take down lebron on the run though. Imagine getting a hip and shoulder from him or worse prime shaq.

monstrum

I really liked the article. I thought it was a great read, not sure if you guys are from Melbourne or what its like there in other states but here basketball gets shower canned a lot by the footy media (basically dismissed) said to involve no skill or athleticism "a slam dunk is not impressive because they can just stick their hands up and reach the rim anyway" and i can relate to how he explains the frustration he feels of how players are said to be world class could dominate any sport they played rar rar rar.. I don't think he was saying NBA or AFL players would be better at each others sport. Just expressing the point of how most Melbourne lives in a footy bubble.

Perfect example a few weeks ago when Brett Ratten was retired/sacked whatever. Tim Watson and Andrew Gaze were on Sen in the morning "blah blah blah " Gazey made a point about something Tom to Gazey " i just dont think you can relate to Brett and the immense media pressure he was under" (close enough)

Gazey almost walked out disgusted, heres a bloke who has NBA championship rings been a flag bearer for his country and this blokes trying to compare that to AFL media pfft..

Rant over! Maybe got sidetracked, im pretty jacked on caffeine atm  :-\

Jay

Great read :) very interesting topic.

One thing for sure. Members of both sports are superstar athletes

RiOtChEsS

yeah i was just hypothesizing, my point was only the skill execution would suffer, still be a raging contest...

TBH i would not have a clue how other sports get rated over here (SA) paper coverage is lame, and id be one of few in my community (which isnt big 4 towns close together 30,000 combined) that could tell u whats happening in US sports...

think about this H2H, Ruck duel between...
Nic Nat, 6ft 6in, 101kg

LeBron James, 6ft 8in, 113kg

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jay

Quote from: Marcz on October 10, 2012, 10:26:08 PM
think about this H2H, Ruck duel between...
Nic Nat, 6ft 6in, 101kg

LeBron James, 6ft 8in, 113kg

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Lebron would win that 9/10...unless it's the 4th quarter ;)

Nah I joke. That is something I'd pay to see though! lol

monstrum

Quote from: Jayman on October 10, 2012, 10:25:14 PM
Great read :) very interesting topic.

One thing for sure. Members of both sports are superstar athletes

For sure!

RiOtChEsS

bahaha Jayman that DP is hilarious, did u even watch playoffs last year?

wait, wait, i know u did Game 6 in Boston clutch enuf for ya :P

Jay

Quote from: Marcz on October 10, 2012, 11:20:29 PM

lol, im just trying to stir all you Lebron fans up :P will change it back to a Celtic soon so dont worry. *SPOILER ALERT* will be the man who I think will take home the M.I.P award.....

Yeah I did watch the playoffs last year (seems like it was just yesterday when Rondo hit his 2 clutch 3-pointers to send us to the ECF)

I had erased game 6 from my memory >:( thanks a lot Marcz....while we are bringing up the past, remember the game when whilst only scoring 8 points in the NBA Finals, Lebron couldnt guard Jason Terry :P

There are different meanings of 'clutch'... Example 1, performing in a big game, eg. LBJ in game 6 ... Example 2, taking over down the stretch, eg. Pierce's '3' over Lebron in 2012 ECF

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: Jayman on October 10, 2012, 11:31:18 PM

lol, im just trying to stir all you Lebron fans up :P will change it back to a Celtic soon so dont worry. *SPOILER ALERT* will be the man who I think will take home the M.I.P award.....

Yeah I did watch the playoffs last year (seems like it was just yesterday when Rondo hit his 2 clutch 3-pointers to send us to the ECF)

I had erased game 6 from my memory >:( thanks a lot Marcz....while we are bringing up the past, remember the game when whilst only scoring 8 points in the NBA Finals, Lebron couldnt guard Jason Terry :P

There are different meanings of 'clutch'... Example 1, performing in a big game, eg. LBJ in game 6 ... Example 2, taking over down the stretch, eg. Pierce's '3' over Lebron in 2012 ECF
haha yeah i c what ur doin there but i was just tryin to defend ur credibility :P

besides lets not take over monstrums thread with our jibber jabber ;)

Jay

Quote from: Marcz on October 10, 2012, 11:40:20 PM
Quote from: Jayman on October 10, 2012, 11:31:18 PM

haha yeah i c what ur doin there but i was just tryin to defend ur credibility :P

besides lets not take over monstrums thread with our jibber jabber ;)
feel free to jibber jabber here: http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,68620.msg907319.html#new

tbagrocks

Jay

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 11, 2012, 12:22:44 AM
Or try the Strikers Homepage ;)  :P

here  ;D

Anyway, let's not ruin this great thread! (Sorry Monstrum)

What would work better, Lebron kicking a footy or Buddy shooting a b-ball? My money would be on Buddy shooting a b-ball :P