Quote from: Ziplock on October 09, 2012, 08:45:01 PM
Quote from: tabs on October 09, 2012, 06:18:48 PM
so GWS are now looking at having 1, 2, 3, 12, 13 and 20 just in the first round

we traded pick 20 tabs

for what??

Ziplock

CrowsFan

Quote from: whatlez on October 09, 2012, 08:42:54 PM
But the kids will never develop if they play with no senior bodies.

How it looks the only player who will be older than them will be Callum Ward.
Callum or Callan? :P

Justin Bieber

Quote from: tabs on October 09, 2012, 08:59:48 PM
the other problem is that in about 3-5 years how do they keep all these kids under the salary cap??

And when all these kids realise that GWS is a shower place to live.

They will request to go home.

Ziplock

they actually live at breakfast point, which is a really nice place in sydney...

and lez, we're not the club with our draft picks wanting to jump ship :P

woofy

Quote from: whatlez on October 09, 2012, 09:37:01 PM
Quote from: tabs on October 09, 2012, 08:59:48 PM
the other problem is that in about 3-5 years how do they keep all these kids under the salary cap??

And when all these kids realise that GWS is a shower place to live.

They will request to go home.

gws are babysitting these kids until they are cherry ripe to come to the dogs in a few years :)

Capper

Quote from: Ziplock on October 09, 2012, 09:58:36 PM
they actually live at breakfast point, which is a really nice place in sydney...

and lez, we're not the club with our draft picks wanting to jump ship :P
heard a rumour yesterday that they are moving from Breakfast point??

Capper

Quote from: Ziplock on October 09, 2012, 09:20:58 PM
to sydney? for parker?
I will give you 4 parker pens and Georgie PArker but thats about it

And maybe Seaby for some chewy (but you can get him for free)

AFEV

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 09, 2012, 06:00:11 PM
Big questions need to be asked by the AFL as to why they have 5 top picks instead of going after senior players! Tanking! They're not trying to put the best list on the field next year and that is tanking!
I don't know how this is tanking...I really just don't understand what you're saying...Are you joking? I don't even.

monstrum

GREATER Western Sydney will enter its second AFL season with 25 first-round draft picks on its list.

GWS completed its draft coup yesterday, swapping 17-year-old West Australian key forward Jesse Hogan for picks 3 and 13 from Melbourne. It gives them selections 1, 2, 3, 12 and 13 at next month's national draft.

Last year the expansion club had 11 of the first 14 choices. The growing bonanza has increased fears the league's 18th team will be fast-tracked to superpower status.

Clever manipulation of rules regarding 17-year-old trades has fuelled industry-wide anger that the AFL's start-up concessions have been "ludicrously generous".

Instead of swapping young guns such as Hogan for established AFL players, as had been anticipated, the Giants exchanged them for more top 10 draft selections.

GWS has utilised another rule that gave the club control over 10 players who had previously been on an AFL list or had nominated for a draft. Through this they secured pick 12 from St Kilda on Tuesday for WAFL star Tom Lee.

The free kicks go well beyond prized draft choices.

The Giants will reap bumper salary cap concessions of up to $1 million a season for the next seven years - plus the same controversial cost of living allowance afforded to the Sydney Swans, worth $895,000 in 2013.

GWS will also have a larger list than the rest of the competition until 2019.

But GWS, led by football manager Graeme Allan, has made no apologies, saying it had executed its strategy to secure the country's best young talent.

Clever manipulation of rules regarding 17-year-old trades has fuelled industry-wide anger that the AFL's start-up concessions have been "ludicrously generous".
The AFL sought the help of a sub-committee to design the start-up rules, but former Adelaide recruiting boss Matthew Rendell said yesterday, "There wouldn't have been one recruiter in the AFL who would have agreed with it".

"Their lists are extraordinary. We haven't seen anything like it," Rendell said.

"They will have a whole team of first-round draft picks.

"That's why we are seeing a frantic trading period at the top of the order.

"(Rivals are) thinking if we don't win one in the next three years, we will be shut out for a long, long time."

One respected talent chief yesterday said the Giants could be so dominant over the next decade they could wipe out some rival clubs.

"This could be the death of some clubs," the official said.

"That sounds over the top, but the gap between them and some of the others will be frightening.

"They will have No.1 and 2 draft picks playing back pocket.

"We will be getting them with pick 60 in the rookie draft from Sandringham.

"The new clubs had to be successful, but the concessions have been an unbelievable mistake."

Allan said the Giants were delighted with the state of their list.

"That was the strategy from day one, at the start of last year's draft process, to get a lot of early picks," Allan said.

"Stephen Silvagni and Paul Brodie have done that and the club is very happy and proud of their efforts.

"We've recruited senior players as well, probably older (than was expected) but those under 17s we traded were highly valuable.

"SOS (Silvagni) tried to get senior players but they weren't forthcoming.

"To have five of the first 13 selections, on top of the 11 first-round picks we had last year, puts us in the position to build on an already exciting young list," Giants list manager Silvagni said yesterday.

The 25 first-round picks on the GWS list will include four young stars taken using another special rule that gave them access to the best 17-year-old players in Australia last year, including Jeremy Cameron and Dylan Shiel.

The club also has another unactivated end-of-first-round selection up its sleeve.

Rendell said: "They have done a super job.

"With all the concessions they haven't missed a beat. They've done a ripping job.

"I can't think of a mistake they have made."

Rivals have vowed to try to raid the GWS and Gold Coast list of any homesick or unhappy players.

Gold Coast will boast 14 first-round picks next season.

tbagrocks

Quote from: Sid on October 10, 2012, 06:32:58 AM
Big questions need to be asked by the AFL as to why they have 5 top picks instead of going after senior players! Tanking! They're not trying to put the best list on the field next year and that is tanking!
I don't know how this is tanking...I really just don't understand what you're saying...Are you joking? I don't even.
But mate surely when Demetriou allowed for the mini draft consessions they had in mind the Giants to get players and not the top draft picks! GWS have these picks but they haven't lost anything which is ridiculous and it is cheating every other team. Epic fail by the AFL for me

T Dog

But mate surely when Demetriou allowed for the mini draft consessions they had in mind the Giants to get players and not the top draft picks! GWS have these picks but they haven't lost anything which is ridiculous and it is cheating every other team. Epic fail by the AFL for me
[/quote]

+1 Tbag.....even if it is not a deliberate intention of the AFL it is definately a real issue that needs sorting. Clubs like Port , the Kangas or the Dogs who dont have buckets of cash may be in real strife IMO.

Ziplock

Quote from: tabs on October 09, 2012, 09:08:24 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on October 09, 2012, 08:45:01 PM
Quote from: tabs on October 09, 2012, 06:18:48 PM
so GWS are now looking at having 1, 2, 3, 12, 13 and 20 just in the first round

we traded pick 20 tabs

for what??

on a serious note, it was part of the melbourne deal, in essence pick 20 was upgraded to 13.

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 10, 2012, 09:08:00 AM
Quote from: Sid on October 10, 2012, 06:32:58 AM

what they had in mind was to give them the best opportunity to build up a viable AFL list... which is exactly what they're doing. Just because they're doing it unorthodoxly, doesn't mean it's wrong. I'm a bit confused as to why GC didn't get similar concessions though (or did they? I know they got to pre-list 17 year olds, but they didn't get the mini drafts).

Quote from: T Dog on October 10, 2012, 10:19:58 AM

+1 Tbag.....even if it is not a deliberate intention of the AFL it is definately a real issue that needs sorting. Clubs like Port , the Kangas or the Dogs who dont have buckets of cash may be in real strife IMO.
[/quote]

I don't think money will really affect it- clubs have to use like 92.5% of the salary cap anyway, they've got just as much chance with the cap of luring away players etc.

NM will be fine- they have a young and talented enough list to be right for the next half dozen years. Port has a couple of talented youngsters on its list, and if it utilises free agency etc. well, they should be right.

Dogs are probably flowered.

These picks mean that in a couple of years GWS and GC as well,  will be dominating the competition... but by then they won't be recieving the higher picks, since they'll be sitting top 4 :P

Besides, port, wbd aren't losing their picks... gws just got the picks off gc and melbourne...

tbagrocks

Thing is Zip just like Caddy already, players that want to leave the Giants will demand high draft picks for them, it could be a 10-15 year cycle of GC and GWS trading top young talant for high draft picks, especially with salary demands of young talant they will not have a choice but to trade some of them, for more high draft picks ;)

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 10, 2012, 11:28:29 AM
Thing is Zip just like Caddy already, players that want to leave the Giants will demand high draft picks for them, it could be a 10-15 year cycle of GC and GWS trading top young talant for high draft picks, especially with salary demands of young talant they will not have a choice but to trade some of them, for more high draft picks ;)

everyone knew caddy wanted to leave, there were rumours during his first season, and actual trade negotiations in the 2011 trade period. GWS hasn't had any of this- the only vague whisper of it was tyson, but he's publically stated that he's happy at GWS (I mean, this could change, but I can't really see it.). Besides, 1 player leaving from GCs talented list... that's no big  deal :P

we literally have 25 first round picks now, we could afford to have 1 or 2 walk :P