Main Menu

All Time Footy Draft Game, best 18!

Started by tbagrocks, October 08, 2012, 10:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomz

TeeJay

Quote from: Boomz on November 11, 2012, 01:49:16 AM
This thread is hilariously sad.

You have a giant knob with arms and legs as your display picture. Thats whats sad

13Brummy

Oh just shut up everyone. I'll take Darrel Baldock.

Kellogscrunchynut

Now is the time for me to pick the forward that Boomz, CF, JB, Sid, and C4v3m4n were talking about who is none other than Ken Farmer. With 1,419 goals in 224 matches for North Adelaide for an average of 6.33 goals per game in a career spanning over the years 1929 to 1941. Complimentary to this outstanding provisional record he also went on to kick 81 goals from 17 games playing for South Australia. The greatest bag of goals kicked by him was a staggering 23 against West Torrens, whilst also kicking 10 or more goals 35 times in his career.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Ziplock on November 10, 2012, 11:58:27 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on November 10, 2012, 11:27:27 PM
When was the VLF the better league, from what year to what year? I'm yet to hear it :P

1995- 2008, victoria didn't lose an interstate game,  that was post AFL though.

So, pre AFL, in VFL eras was before 1990.

1977-1989
Victoria- 39 interstate games, 24 wins, 62% win ratio
SA- 13 games, 7 wins, 54% win ratio

however, those games include Pre-afl games against tasmania (in which from 1977-1989 only ever beat queensland), and SA played 2 against tassie, while vic played 4.

so discounting those games, you leave vic with 35 games, 20 wins, 57%
SA 11 games, 5 wins, 45%

whether or not you choose to remove tasmania (which proves my point again about population), is your own decision. Doesn't really change that much.

Considering the best Win: lose ratio for an AFL club is collingwood on 61%, that's pretty much domination by victoria on 62%. That being said, 54% isn't bad, AFL win % wise, that'd be 6th.

if you remove the bottom teams though (which I really think we should with such a small sample size), that puts SA an equivalent of 14/21, right below fitzroy, while victoria would be sitting at = 3rd.

I'm using the AFL clubs WL ratios since it's statistically the most comparable for this statistic.

and now I really am leaving.

FTR, I got my data from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_matches_in_Australian_rules_football#Inter-league_competition.2C_1879.E2.80.931976

and
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/teams/allteams/overall_wl.html (for the comparison to AFL teams).

How about you prepare results prior to the 70s, during the 70s/80s it wasn't state of origin it was just vfl players vs sanfl players so the vfl could play all the players they bought in. Try the records before the vfl started buying players.

CrowsFan

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on November 11, 2012, 11:56:43 AM
Now is the time for me to pick the forward that Boomz, CF, JB, Sid, and C4v3m4n were talking about who is none other than Ken Farmer. With 1,419 goals in 224 matches for North Adelaide for an average of 6.33 goals per game in a career spanning over the years 1929 to 1941. Complimentary to this outstanding provisional record he also went on to kick 81 goals from 17 games playing for South Australia. The greatest bag of goals kicked by him was a staggering 23 against West Torrens, whilst also kicking 10 or more goals 35 times in his career.
Finally!! Kicked 100 goals in a season in 11 consecutive seasons!! Was held goalless just once, and that was after getting injured in the first 10 minutes of the game and not playing any part of it. Has a better goals per game ratio than Hudson (who has scored the most), but Hudson scored a lot of those goals in the Tasmanian league, which I think we can all agree on as being weaker than the other three ;)

TeeJay

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on November 11, 2012, 02:38:29 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on November 10, 2012, 11:58:27 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on November 10, 2012, 11:27:27 PM
When was the VLF the better league, from what year to what year? I'm yet to hear it :P

1995- 2008, victoria didn't lose an interstate game,  that was post AFL though.

So, pre AFL, in VFL eras was before 1990.

1977-1989
Victoria- 39 interstate games, 24 wins, 62% win ratio
SA- 13 games, 7 wins, 54% win ratio

however, those games include Pre-afl games against tasmania (in which from 1977-1989 only ever beat queensland), and SA played 2 against tassie, while vic played 4.

so discounting those games, you leave vic with 35 games, 20 wins, 57%
SA 11 games, 5 wins, 45%

whether or not you choose to remove tasmania (which proves my point again about population), is your own decision. Doesn't really change that much.

Considering the best Win: lose ratio for an AFL club is collingwood on 61%, that's pretty much domination by victoria on 62%. That being said, 54% isn't bad, AFL win % wise, that'd be 6th.

if you remove the bottom teams though (which I really think we should with such a small sample size), that puts SA an equivalent of 14/21, right below fitzroy, while victoria would be sitting at = 3rd.

I'm using the AFL clubs WL ratios since it's statistically the most comparable for this statistic.

and now I really am leaving.

FTR, I got my data from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_matches_in_Australian_rules_football#Inter-league_competition.2C_1879.E2.80.931976

and
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/teams/allteams/overall_wl.html (for the comparison to AFL teams).

How about you prepare results prior to the 70s, during the 70s/80s it wasn't state of origin it was just vfl players vs sanfl players so the vfl could play all the players they bought in. Try the records before the vfl started buying players.

Jb, jb, jb. You idiot. Have a look in the thread created for this debate before opening your mouth. Victoria dominated state of origin for a century. We moved on from talking about this in here

AFEV

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on November 11, 2012, 11:56:43 AM

quinny88

No offence to you Kellogs, you joined the dots and picked yourself a good full forward but I am slightly annoyed now that our draft has been affected and compromised because of the banter and hinting from people in this thread.
Ken Farmer simply wouldn't have been picked up had the topic not been brought up.
I dont mind you having him, it's certainly not your fault but can the people that are not part of the draft and the people involved for that matter, keep their opinions to themselves until the end of the draft. Completely unfair on all of us that are participating. These are our teams that we should do our own research on and form ourselves without any outside influence from other FanFooty members.

Mailman the 2nd

It is quite annoying seeing as its obvious why we aren't picking these players due to a variety of factors.

Please make your own thread rather than spamming this one

I'll make my pick soon

Mailman the 2nd

tbagrocks

I'll chuck him on a half back flank, my favorite player of all time

Andrew McLoed

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 11, 2012, 08:04:31 PM
I'll chuck him on a half back flank, my favorite player of all time

Andrew McLoed

Damn you! thats the 4th time my player I was going to pick next has been taken from me haha

tbagrocks

Oh good (for me ;D) I would be unhappy if I missed out on him

monstrum