Main Menu

All Time Footy Draft Game, best 18!

Started by tbagrocks, October 08, 2012, 10:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 10, 2012, 10:42:02 PM
Ok I'll be more realistic, why hasn't England always dominated the cricket?

England suck at every sport they've created  :P

quinny88

Guys please, have the debate somewhere else.

Monstrum you made my fear come true!  :'( Roo was the man I wanted for the half forward flank haha.
Oh well I have a backup.

Ill take Michael Voss

B:    __________         Dustin Fletcher      _________

HB:  __________         Glen Jakovich         _________

C:    Peter Matera    -   Greg Williams        _________

HF:  Alex Jesaulenko  -  Steven Kernahan  - Michael Voss

FF:  Leigh Matthews  -  Jason Dunstall       _________

R:   Simon Madden - Bob Skilton- Haydn Bunton Snr

TeeJay

Why are you comparing cricket between 2 different parts of the planet when were talking about aussie rules between 2 states right next to each other? Your going off track.
The genetics are the same, the opportunities are the same the demographic is the same. The only difference is the population is 5 times the size in vic and therefore had and still has better footballers come out of it. Its simple really

tbagrocks

Please, just stop embarrassing yourself ::)

TeeJay

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 10, 2012, 10:59:17 PM

Im embarassing myself? Haha mate you think everyone is "victorian bias" and called me that when im not even from victoria.
Its the dominating state for Aussie rules and it always has been, I can openly admitt that without being from there.
carry on with your draft anyway. I was quite enjoying checking in to see how the teams were coming along every now and then. And the people that keep chipping in saying how the people doing this draft should have this and that player stfu and stick your nose out.

Ziplock

england isnt actually a huge country, they dont even have a population of 100 million and they're unhealthy as flower as well.

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 10, 2012, 10:59:17 PM

you're the one embarrassing yourself.... this is a really simple concept mate.

tbagrocks

Yeah a concept you're not getting, Victoria has not always been the better state and for long periods was not the ferior league you seem to think, all you're stating is an opinion and good judges will say that is simply not the case

TeeJay

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 10, 2012, 11:17:38 PM
Yeah a concept you're not getting, Victoria has not always been the better state and for long periods was not the ferior league you seem to think, all you're stating is an opinion and good judges will say that is simply not the case

When was the vfl not the dominant league? From what year till what year??
Im yet to hear it.

tbagrocks

When was the VLF the better league, from what year to what year? I'm yet to hear it :P

Ziplock

I'm not stating an opinion dude.

Almost nothing I've said has been opinionated.

unlike everything you say.

I'm going to leave this now so I dont flower with your draft thing anymore.

I'm not denying that SANFL/ WAFL had  great footballers- I'm saying that VFL would have been pumping out more, and on top of that had more migrating over for opportunities.

and, as I said, this is still demonstrated today through the U18 AA team

2012- 9 Vic, 7 SA, 3 WA
2011- 11Vic, 6 SA, 2WA
2010- 11 Vic, 5 SA, 1WA
2009-7 Vic, 4 SA, 9 WA
2008-  10 Vic, 3 SA, 6 WA

Total: Vic- 48, SA- 25, WA-21
Average: Vic- 9.5, SA- 5, WA- 4.2

past 5 years- obviously not all these guys have or will make it to an elite level, but it's probably the best way to demonstrate the quality of victoria vs the other states. But even a relatively small sample size (110) like that is already showing a clear trend.

TeeJay

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 10, 2012, 11:27:27 PM
When was the VLF the better league, from what year to what year? I'm yet to hear it :P

From day dot!
The very early days the vfl and vfa was a bit unstable with teams coming in and out, and swapping around but from 1896 onwards the vfl was the dominant league over the vfa and every other league in the country. Its not an opinion, its fact. The vfl atracted players from other states very soon after as it was reguarded as the best league. So perhaps you can argue that the sanfl was better or as good roughly pre 1900 but after that there is no argument. The vfl was the dominant league

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 10, 2012, 11:27:27 PM

1995- 2008, victoria didn't lose an interstate game,  that was post AFL though.

So, pre AFL, in VFL eras was before 1990.

1977-1989
Victoria- 39 interstate games, 24 wins, 62% win ratio
SA- 13 games, 7 wins, 54% win ratio

however, those games include Pre-afl games against tasmania (in which from 1977-1989 only ever beat queensland), and SA played 2 against tassie, while vic played 4.

so discounting those games, you leave vic with 35 games, 20 wins, 57%
SA 11 games, 5 wins, 45%

whether or not you choose to remove tasmania (which proves my point again about population), is your own decision. Doesn't really change that much.

Considering the best Win: lose ratio for an AFL club is collingwood on 61%, that's pretty much domination by victoria on 62%. That being said, 54% isn't bad, AFL win % wise, that'd be 6th.

if you remove the bottom teams though (which I really think we should with such a small sample size), that puts SA an equivalent of 14/21, right below fitzroy, while victoria would be sitting at = 3rd.

I'm using the AFL clubs WL ratios since it's statistically the most comparable for this statistic.

and now I really am leaving.

FTR, I got my data from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_matches_in_Australian_rules_football#Inter-league_competition.2C_1879.E2.80.931976

and
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/teams/allteams/overall_wl.html (for the comparison to AFL teams).

Ziplock

and I know that technically doesn't compare VFL/ SANFL, but it's literally the best you can do from a non-biased objective.

TeeJay

Discuss it here guys
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,69137.0.html

This thread has been hijacked which is a bit unfair on those participating

tbagrocks

Yep and I apologise to the other coaches participating. Btw it's 13Brummy's turn