Main Menu

All Time Footy Draft Game, best 18!

Started by tbagrocks, October 08, 2012, 10:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 07, 2012, 12:07:56 AM
Yeah you're right Quinny, that's to much to ask, but a guy like say Wayne Carey is only CHF and a Chris Judd is only Mid, so no relaxing on these types,

BTW I have Buckley as  a Mid only so either convince me or the judges otherwise! Will struggle to see a Jesaulenko type out of position but let the judges decide.
Yeah I understand players like Carey being one position players only but their has to be leniency with most positions. Putting Jesaulenko on a flank has to be considered acceptable considering he is named there in the team of the century.

I think it should be ok to also have, for example, Silvagni at full back and someone like Scarlett in the back pocket. If you have managed to snag both then good on you, its not as if you wouldn't play Scarlett in a pocket despite it not being the position he spent most of his career in. Its hard to pick pocket and flank players at both ends so there definitely needs to be leniency there

13Brummy

Well Buckley has 7 All-Australian appearances, two of which are on the half back flank, so I think it should be fair that I can name him there

quinny88

Quote from: 13Brummy on November 07, 2012, 12:29:42 AM
Well Buckley has 7 All-Australian appearances, two of which are on the half back flank, so I think it should be fair that I can name him there

Agree. I think provided the player spent some time in that position they should be able to be picked there

Kellogscrunchynut

Going through team's of the century for a few clubs I've noticed that many clubs will name two of their great full backs on the field, but one of them being in the pocket for instance Carlton have Silvagni and Southby both on the field with Southby in the pocket.

quinny88

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on November 07, 2012, 12:40:36 AM
Going through team's of the century for a few clubs I've noticed that many clubs will name two of their great full backs on the field, but one of them being in the pocket for instance Carlton have Silvagni and Southby both on the field with Southby in the pocket.

Yeah exactly, I think thats perfectly ok personally

tbagrocks

I don't like being able to have a Hudson, Dunstall and Lockett in the forward line when Daicos, Milne etc.. I guess I wanted to challange the drafter rarther than just have Scarlett as the back pocket, Buckley at HB etc..

Anyway, carry on!

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 07, 2012, 12:57:44 AM
I don't like being able to have a Hudson, Dunstall and Lockett in the forward line when Daicos, Milne etc.. I guess I wanted to challange the drafter rarther than just have Scarlett as the back pocket, Buckley at HB etc..

Anyway, carry on!

Yeah definitely see where your coming from tbag, its a hard task though to pick specific positional players when there are better options that aren't necessarily famous for that position..
I guess that's the struggle the AA selectors go through each year

tbagrocks

Quote from: quinny88 on November 07, 2012, 01:06:20 AM

Anyway, carry on!

Yeah definitely see where your coming from tbag, its a hard task though to pick specific positional players when there are better options that aren't necessarily famous for that position..
I'm sure that's a hard one every year mate! Wasn't Dangerfield at HF this year despite playing the whole year at the clearence!

Guess it will always be controversial so we do the best we can ;) But surely a move like Cox in the forward line etc is a no no.

quinny88

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 07, 2012, 01:16:07 AM

Anyway, carry on!

I'm sure that's a hard one every year mate! Wasn't Dangerfield at HF this year despite playing the whole year at the clearence!

Guess it will always be controversial so we do the best we can ;) But surely a move like Cox in the forward line etc is a no no.

There's definetly a fine line bout oh well, lets just finish the teams and make those judgements at the end I guess

AFEV

Quote from: tbagrocks on November 07, 2012, 01:16:07 AM

Anyway, carry on!

Perhaps just let people name players where they want but having players out of position/poor team balance leads to point deduction during final judging?

eg.

A forward line of Milne, Daicos and my mystery best FF (still unpicked) would be rated higher than a forward line of Lockett, Coleman and Wade.

Similarly, a back line with Smith, Wacka Scott and Southby is better than a back line consisting of Dench, SOS and Regan.

However, a forward line with Lockett/Coleman/Wade is still better than one with Marsh, Reynolds and Judd.

Of course at the same time there are players that played in positions consistently without being permanently stationed there. Old time ruckmen spent a whole lot of time in the back pocket as well, if you happened to draft one of those blokes I'd argue you should be able to play him there (as a second ruckman) without a point deduction.

Your draft though, so ultimately up to you. :)

Mailman the 2nd

Yeah as far as I'm aware John Nicholls spent a large portion of time resting in the back pocket

quinny88

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 07, 2012, 07:45:31 AM
Yeah as far as I'm aware John Nicholls spent a large portion of time resting in the back pocket

Yeah he did, all ruckman did in those days.

You do know its your turn dont you mailman?

CrowsFan

Quote from: Sid on November 03, 2012, 01:35:35 PM
Best full forward still not picked, although I suppose you could make an argument for Hudson as well.
Can't believe he hasn't been picked yet either and it is in to round 11 and had over 60 players picked!! There's one person in this who I would have thought would have taken him by now!

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: quinny88 on November 08, 2012, 12:23:50 AM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on November 07, 2012, 07:45:31 AM

Yeah he did, all ruckman did in those days.

You do know its your turn dont you mailman?

Oops sorry  :-[

I'll be picking around 3pm sorry school and stuff

Mailman the 2nd

Gary Ayres

Back: Gary Ayres,  Jack Regan, John Nicholls

H-Back: _____,   Paul Roos  _____,

Centre: _______, Gary Ablett Jnr., _____

H-Forward:____, Ted Whitten Snr,_____

Forward: Malcom Blight, Gordon Coventry, _____