Main Menu

Possible trade for Monfries

Started by kilbluff1985, October 07, 2012, 01:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

ok so it's becoming apparent Port want to get a deal done in order to not lose there compo picks so

Yeah me and some mates were thinking Ben Jacobs might be an ok trade or even Slattery and Monfries to Port for a 1st or 2nd round pick means they get 2 players for 1 and keep both compo picks and we would be happy with that deal

does that seem fair?

Ziplock

yeah I can't see port wanting to let jacobs go.

really? I've heard so many essendon fans call slattery a talentless hack...

kilbluff1985

lol he is but might be a role at Port for him to tag a mid or a fwd

AFEV

Didn't we already delist Slattery?

Jacobs wants to come back to Victoria so a trad involving him might be on the cards...Monfries for Jacobs I'd be super happy with.

Ricochet

Deal done fellas

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/a/Monfries-heads-home-to-South-Australia/10065

Essendon Football Club can confirm Angus Monfries will be returning to his home state of South Australia after agreeing to a trade with the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Despite Angus being a restricted free agent, the Club was able to negotiate with Port Adelaide to receive selection 48 in the AFL Draft.

AFEV

Well we got pick 48 as opposed to nothing so I'm happy with it. :)

Capper

Justin Bieber

Lol pick 48.

Shows how much monfries is worth.

Hawka

Jay

kilbluff1985

only thing that i question is not whether the deal is fair for Essendon but if Pick 48 is really a fair loss to make in gain for Monfries? i mean the trade was done to even itself out so they keep there compo picks so how does gaining Monfries who was in the Bombers best 22 for years and will be in Ports best 22 round 1 = Pick 48 i think it's worth there Pick 28

again take out how you fill about Monfries but he was still a best 22 player and will be a best 22 player for them i just don't see how they or the AFL can see this gain/loss by Port as even and i think there comp picks should be affected like if there getting a 2nd round pick should be a 3rd pick

AFEV

KB the only reason they were doing this was so that Port could keep their compensation and Essendon can get some sort of compensation for Angus.

Chaplin and Pearce still may not be compensated with second round/end of first round picks, so giving us a 2nd round pick for Gus kind of defeats the whole point of the trade.

Our hands were tied...Pick 48 is a good result.

Fletch74

100% agree Sid.

If we'd gone down the Free Agency route and matched Port's offer, then Gus would have nominated for the draft and we would have nothing for him...

TBH, I'd rather Pick 48, then nothing.

What would you prefer KB?

kilbluff1985

Don't think your getting my comment i have no problems with us getting Pick 48 for him.

My problem is Port gaining Monfries losing Pick 48 and this being seen as an even loss/gain for them which is why they did it to make it an even loss/gain or try to.

IMO the AFL in this kind of situation should step in and say to Port, right if you guys want to get your full compensation for Pearce & Chaplin you need to trade your 2nd round Pick for Monfries so it's an even loss/gain.

Despite how you rate Monfries as a player he was in our best 22 for years and will be in Ports best 22 for years so i don't understand how them gaining Monfries is evened out by losing Pick 48.

Again, this is not about Essendon being happy or not just about how this trade is being seen as an even gain/loss.