Main Menu

Rocket's Review

Started by Master Q, October 05, 2012, 04:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Q

Hey Pie Fans, just wanted to share this article with you guys... From the AFL website written by Rocket Eade where he reviews every player on the Collingwood list.

"Luke Ball
HIS PRE-SEASON was good and he was playing well when he got injured, and it was just a big blow for us. His type suits finals footy with his leadership, but that's the breaks you get. Obviously we'll get a new recruit at the start of next year. He was in training at the end of the season, which was good, but he was still a month or so from playing.

Dayne Beams
A great season. From an opposition perspective, you knew he had talent in kicking goals but you didn't know whether he could run enough and play in the midfield. Probably the positive of Luke's injury was that [Dayne] was able to grab the chance to play in the midfield. Would we have given him as much chance if Luke was playing? It's an unknown. But we've gained a quality player; he really stepped up, his fitness is terrific and he worked really well with [midfield coach] Robert Harvey.

Jarryd Blair
He's another player who's made progression; one of those younger-type players who's just been that forward pocket goal-kicker who puts pressure on and spends some time in the midfield. This year he's spent a lot more time in the midfield so that's another growth we've been able to have and build on our midfield. I would like to think that Jarryd can take another step forward next year.

Nathan Brown
Coming back from his knee injuries, he started on Anzac Day and played well but he then had a couple of little hiccups, a couple of minor injuries and his form dropped away a little bit. His last six or seven weeks were really pleasing, I thought, with his form as a power defender playing on the big forwards. I think he'll be better off for having played the year, coming off the two knee problems he had, and you'd think he'd only get better as he's only [almost] 24.

Simon Buckley
Simon was a little bit up and down early in the year and then he had a really good patch for eight to 10 weeks, which we were really pleased with. Then he got a minor injury and missed a week or two, and he just tended to struggle for consistency after that. He's got some talent as that running half-back and hopefully he gets a good run at it and gets that consistency.

Jon Ceglar
Jon is very lightly built as a forward-ruckman and he still needs to put weight on to really be able to compete at AFL level. He takes a nice mark and showed some promising signs at times in the VFL but again, with young players you've got to look for that consistency and he needs his body to get a bit bigger and stronger to have a chance at AFL level.

Martin Clarke
In his own words, it was about how much the game has changed in two years since he's been away. He did some really good jobs for us and was pleasing early on, especially with the injuries and how he and Simon Buckley were able to play roles for us. Marty, just towards the end started to lose his form, and missed out on the finals but he played 17 games and in many ways, it was a positive year. He's got areas he needs to work on, and knowing the work he puts in, I've got no doubt he'll get through that. I would like to think he'd improve again next year and become a good player for us.

Travis Cloke
The raw numbers indicate he was OK. He was No.1 for contested marks in the competition and sixth for goals but, on his previous form, he probably had a bit of a dip. He didn't seem to be in as good touch and didn't get his hands to a lot of marks he'd normally take. We would think that there'd be a spike in his form next year. He's a hard worker and I think he was able to keep those numbers up because of his work rate and his attitude. He gives himself the best chance to play well. Whether the contract was an issue or not, only Travis can answer that, but you would think with that out of the way, he'd be able to concentrate totally on footy.

Paul Cribbin (rookie)
Delisted.

Chris Dawes
He was asked to fill that second ruck role, which was foreign to him. Obviously his form wasn't as good as 2010 or 2011 up until he broke his knuckle. I think playing a foreign position may have had a bit of an impact on him. His ruck work improved by the end of the year but his main bread and butter is his forward play, so we would like to think that will improve now we've got [Quinten] Lynch. It was a down year for him but he's only 24 and everyone has some bad years at some stage, so we'd like to think with his work rate, like Travis, he'll be able to turn that around.

Alan Didak
His pre-season up until he hurt his groin had been really encouraging. His training form had been fantastic, and it was a real blow for him, and for us at that stage. He missed seven weeks and came back through the VFL, started to get some form and confidence and then hurt it again against Melbourne in round 11 and missed seven. I think that lack of continuity affected him; he's a natural touch player and he started to show some signs towards the end of the year, and his kicking is fantastic and his ability to hit targets, which was a plus for us in that area. If he can get his work rate this pre-season up like he did last year, there's no doubt he can play ok. He would have been right to play in the Grand Final if we'd played.

Jamie Elliot
He was really encouraging. I didn't know anything about him so to play as many games as he did was a plus, albeit a lot of these players got games because we had a lot of injuries. I think at the end of the year he was starting to fatigue. He had a really good game against West Coast, and like all young players, there are areas of his game he has to work on. We'd like to think with another good pre-season under his belt, he'll be able to last longer during the year. He's an exciting talent.

Daniel Farmer (rookie)
Delisted.

Alex Fasolo
Alex is a very talented young player but he's just learning about the game and I think the education the coaches are putting into him is really showing some benefits. He can kick goals and take marks but he's spending more time in the midfield. He's just got to learn about running in an AFL game, where to run and how hard you've got to run for longer periods. He's played a bit on the wing and went into the centre square at times, and he's got really good hands. It added more strings to his bow and with another pre-season we think he can become a really good player.

Corey Gault
We've got high hopes for him. He's put a bit of weight on and he's a good athlete who can jump. We'd be surprised if he didn't play some senior football next year. He's got a good attitude. He could be that future back up ruckman as well because he plays centre half-back, centre half-forward. He played quite well in the VFL this season, they played him back towards the end for his development, and he's a good lad but he needs to keep working. 

Tyson Goldsack
I would have thought he's had his best and most consistent year. There's been a spot for him, he was thrown forward against Essendon, and just his speed and ability - he's kicked 24 goals and his tackles were high up - so he was a real plus for us. We had injuries and struggled at times but out of any negatives come positives, and I think Goldsack was one of those.

Michael Hartley (rookie)
He's one of the Sydney lads we've had on our NSW list. He's a young developing player and had two shoulder operations so it's very hard to judge him at the moment. He's a nice young lad, he's a tall and quite athletic defender who will need at least another year in the VFL before we start considering him for senior footy.

Ben Johnson
I think it was a real credit to Ben to get back after his operation. He displayed some really good form when he got back in. His kicking fell away a bit in the finals and wasn't as good as it normally is but we know he's a good kick and we think if he can work hard over the pre-season, he's another example of an older player who will need to work hard and not drop off otherwise it can fall away pretty quickly.

Darren Jolly
People were questioning his form early in the year but I thought it was very good, and in the big games, generally he played pretty well. I think we managed him pretty well. He had a couple of minor injuries and we didn't take any chances with him and gave him a couple of weeks off at certain stages. It was a big load for him to carry and I think his form was a real plus. We were really positive about the way he played and what he did.

Lachlan Keeffe
He had a really encouraging year. He was probably our best defender until he got injured in round nine. He showed a lot of poise and in his third last game, he played as that back up ruck/forward against the Brisbane Lions and showed good forward traits as well. As long as he can mentally overcome the knee, which is the biggest hurdle for players to overcome, he works hard and he's got a great attitude so I've got no doubt he can be a key plank going forward for us.

Andrew Krakouer
It was a good story, wasn't it? You could see his class at times when he got in, and how we missed that ability to hit targets and kick goals that needed to be kicked, and his ability to win the ball. I've got no doubt with a good pre-season under his belt, given his age, he's still got a lot to offer AFL footy. He was really good in the Hawthorn final and he even looked good before that. His touch is amazing.

Brent Macaffer
I didn't know a lot about 'Caff before I got here, even though I knew he played in the premiership and he could take a mark. His pre-season was fantastic. I think he had a disappointing 2011 and to go down with that injury in February was devastating for him. His attitude is rated highly and it was a real good effort to get back. He gave himself a chance to play in the finals but he wasn't quite there, but I think playing those VFL games should give him the confidence to attack pre-season and I reckon he'll be a real plus for us next year.

Nick Maxwell
He played pretty well this year. Except for his All Australian year [2009] I think it was close to his best season. He showed good leadership, was rarely beaten and played really well. There's no reason why he can't do that again next year. It was unfortunate about the suspension in the end and there were a couple of little injuries here and there, but I would have thought it was a pretty good year for him.

Shae McNamara (rookie)
Delisted.

Caolan Mooney (rookie)
He's an exciting young lad. He's got that exceptional pace, still needs more game sense but has already got a reasonable feel for it. He can jump with the power he's got for speed. People ask where he's at and I compare him to Tadhg Kennelly - at the same stage, he's a far better kick than what Kennelly was, and Tadhg ended up a really good kick for AFL footy. He's not as tall as Tadhg but I would have thought when he first started, he was more advanced than him. It's a real credit to himself - and to Nathan - that he played four games.

Harry O'Brien
Harry had an up and down season. He didn't start well but in round four against Port Adelaide he hit some form. I think he was probably harshly judged by the media because he had some really good games and his down games were against really good opponents, who can beat anyone. But Harry probably wasn't his normal assured self. I thought his finals series was OK; he tried to generate some run, especially in that Sydney game when we looked a bit flat and he was really working hard. He's another key component of our defence and he's still only young so I've got no doubt from his point of view he would think it was a disappointing year, but he'd be able to bounce back.

Jackson Paine
Another young lad we were really encouraged by. It was a good effort for a young tall to come in and play in their first year. He hurt his shoulder and then we still played him when he came back from that so he can play with a bit of pain. He showed a bit - he's a competitor, a good mark, and there's still areas for him to work on. Because he competes so well, we'd be disappointed if he didn't really go close to cementing a spot.

Scott Pendlebury
It was just a super year from a great leader. He was a little bit down when he came back from his broken leg and wasn't at his normal level but he really lifted towards the end of the season and in the finals. He's just one of those players that prepares well and just consistently churns it out.

Ben Reid
He hurt his thigh a couple of times so that affected his confidence. He started the season and Buddy got hold of him in the first game and then he beat Riewoldt, and then he hurt his thigh … so he didn't have that continuity until about mid-season and I think once that confidence returned in his body, he could go for his marks. He played well in the West Coast final, and he remains the key component of our defence with his ability to mark the ball and set up some rebound. He's gone from All Australian to having some hurdles this year to overcome, and he's another who we'll expect a spike from next year.

Luke Rounds
It was probably a disappointing year from Luke. He's played some senior footy before, but hurt his calf and missed seven weeks, and then his form was really scratchy in the seconds. He had a patch for three or four weeks where his form was good, and was close to getting a senior game and his form dropped off again. It was consistency that was the thing that hurt him.

Paul Seedsman
We thought he played some really good footy. He just needs his body to get stronger and learn about AFL footy, and the only way you're going to learn is by playing. He got in some good games this year and played well against Sydney up there in round 20, which was a pretty tough game. He's got some good run and carry and we'd like to think he can become a regular in our team pretty quickly.

Heath Shaw
He probably didn't play to the level he's reached in previous seasons but I don't think he was far away. He played some really good games and was probably sat on a bit more but we're trying to be more flexible with players so he played a bit on the wing and went forward a few times, which added strings to his bow. Overall, I think he had a pretty good year.

Steele Sidebottom
He was one who stepped up again like Jarryd Blair until about mid-year. He was really good until about round 13 or 14, and then he dropped off a bit for whatever reason, whether that was just consistency. He's still only young so I think he's another who will, with another pre-season, be able to carry that out for a whole year.

Ben Sinclair
We were really pleased with Ben and he was another who until around mid-season was really encouraging with his form and was grabbing his opportunity. He looked very promising as a forward, and probably didn't take his opportunities at times but he's still working on that. His pressure and toughness was good. He hurt his foot and then his shoulder, and then didn't seem to be the same player after that, although he did have a good final against Hawthorn where he tagged Grant Birchall. He's another one with another pre-season we think can take another step next year.

Lachlan Smith (rookie)
Delisted.

Trent Stubbs (rookie)
Delisted.

Dane Swan
He had an injury for a couple of weeks and then the club suspension but he had a pretty consistent year. He sets high standards and probably started slowly but from that Anzac Day game he really was a pretty good player. He got a knock early in the last final against Sydney and that affected him, he tended to struggle to run, but he's a key component of our midfield and he's a super player. Like all players who are getting on a bit, they've just got to keep their work rate up and if he can maintain the rage, there's no doubt he can still be a great player in the competition.

Chris Tarrant (retired)
He had the foot injury in the pre-season and missed six or seven weeks with it and then came back and hurt his calf so there was just a whole range of hurdles put in front of him. Unfortunately, his body was just starting to give up on him at the end. He was held in such high esteem around the place, everyone wanted him to play and I think he contributed pretty well but obviously his time was up, he's had a great career but unfortunately he didn't win a flag.

Dale Thomas
He had a bit of an up and down year. He certainly didn't reach the heights he has in the past. He had a hamstring and then hurt his ankle, and once he came back from that, it sort of lingered a bit and I think that affected his running ability. Certainly he didn't reach the heights of previous years - he played some good games but just didn't have that consistent impact we know Dale Thomas gets through his hard work.

Josh Thomas
He's had a couple of foot operations but people at Collingwood talk very positively about what he can do, and I've seen some really good things in the seconds. He's got good hands, he's tough, reads the game really well, and just needs some luck now so he can get his body up and running. He can play senior footy next year and was training with the group by the end of the season.

Alan Toovey
He had a terrifically consistent season. Was given big jobs. Had a patch after he did his calf where he was a bit flat but other than that, it was a pretty consistent year. He played on players from Jack Darling to Cyril Rioli to Jetta so he plays on all types, he's got good speed and certainly discipline. He's a good player.

Kirk Ugle
He's a good young lad. He's had trouble with his body in the past but he's worked really hard, got that to a reasonable stage, has good pace and is a nice kick. Size is always going to be his issue but he got some senior games on the back of some good form and he came very close a couple of other times. If he can maintain his work rate and his professionalism, he gives himself a good chance.

Sharrod Wellingham
He played some good games. He was given a different role this year but at times he was inconsistent and really hot and cold in a lot of the things that he did. He was a key component a lot of the time but just had inconsistency, which hurt him. The suspension [in round 15 for rough conduct against Kade Simpson] probably rocked him.

Marley Williams (rookie)
He's a terrific young lad and it's really a bonus for a rookie to play senior footy. He's tough, we think we can develop him to play in a lot of different positions so he was a real plus for us as well. We think he can put his hand up for regular senior games with a good pre-season.

Jarrod Witts
He's a good young ruckman but he's still only young so we can't expect the world of him. He's still learning the game, he's from Sydney, but he was OK in his second year. We think next year he would get some senior footy.

Cameron Wood
It was a bit of a disappointing year from Cameron, to be honest. He had opportunities and didn't grab them, and his form at times in the seconds was poor. He's got some good attributes, he's good at his craft, a good tap and a beautiful kick; he just needs to get that consistency at work rate.

Peter Yagmoor
He got the first game of the year and we probably threw him in too early. He's a nice kick, a good young lad, and just needs time to get confidence. He just lacks a bit of confidence in himself but he's got a good attitude and he's got some good skill sets to be able to play league footy.

Tom Young
Tom's got some good attributes to play AFL footy. His form in the seconds was pretty good, he played down back for us in the seniors and a bit through the midfield. He's another NSW lad so they just take a bit of time and hopefully now that it's probably crunch time for him, he can grab his chance next year."

Capper

Corey Gault
We've got high hopes for him. He's put a bit of weight on and he's a good athlete who can jump. We'd be surprised if he didn't play some senior football next year. He's got a good attitude. He could be that future back up ruckman as well because he plays centre half-back, centre half-forward. He played quite well in the VFL this season, they played him back towards the end for his development, and he's a good lad but he needs to keep working. 

sounds like a good fantasy player in the future

T Dog

Sharrod Wellingham
He played some good games. He was given a different role this year but at times he was inconsistent and really hot and cold in a lot of the things that he did. He was a key component a lot of the time but just had inconsistency, which hurt him. The suspension [in round 15 for rough conduct against Kade Simpson] probably rocked him.

may need to be traded?  :o

Spite

Quote from: tabs on October 05, 2012, 08:04:47 PM
Corey Gault

Oh man this kid is awesome, can't wait for him to get games!!!

Ricochet

Quote from: Spite on October 05, 2012, 09:18:14 PM
Quote from: tabs on October 05, 2012, 08:04:47 PM
Corey Gault

Oh man this kid is awesome, can't wait for him to get games!!!
haha my boy Gault hey Spite  ;)