2013 SC Player Profile: Adam Goodes

Started by Ziplock, October 04, 2012, 06:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Preface: I haven't done one of these yet, so I'll just do what I think is necessary

Name: Adam Goodes
Age as of round 1: 33 Years
2012 Average: 89.5
2012 Games: 16
Past averages:
2011: 108
2010:94
2009:114
2008:106
2007:105
2006:120
2005:107

Finals average: 120 (3 games)

Goodes is a freak. Pure and simple. He had a really unfortunate hamstring injury this year, that saw him sidelined for a while, and it took him some time to get back into it. That being said, he still averaged 90 for the season (largely due to his strong start), and taking out his subbed game he average 94, which alone says he's underpriced. But, look at his history- firstly, he's extremely durable- he's only missed 10 games in 13 years of playing (the majority of them this season with his injury and suspension), he's also a super coach machine, only averaging under 105 once since 2005 (not including this year).

SC wise, he's around 10-15 ppg underpriced...

To add the cherry to the top though- he's a complete machine... how many other players can do their PCL at the start of Q2 and still walk out of the match with 113 SC points.

basically, the only reason why you wouldn't pick him to start with your team is the following
1. You're worried about injuries being more frequent due to his advanced age
2. You're worried about his classic 'slow start' phenomena.

And my response to those are
1. The hamstring injury was unfortunate, but I really doubt we're going to see substantial reoccurance. The grandfinal PCL injury was just pure bad luck- his knee collided with someones hip as he was rotating in mid air to challenge for the ball, it probably would have blown out any player in their primes PCL.
2. Doesn't matter since he's so under priced- besides his thumping start this year bucked the trend anyway.

Rating: I'm going 9/10. His age is a mild concern, and that's the only thing dropping him a point... otherwise lock and load, he's good to go. 

AFEV

His age combined with the PCL does make me extremely wary. If he has a good preseason he'll come into my calculations but honestly he's looking better as an upgrade target at this point.

Side note - Great work Zip. :)

Ziplock

I don't really find his PCL too concerning- it's not as bad as an ACL (PCL is like a 6 week injury from memory), he has plenty of time to recover, and it was just a freak accident.

seriously though- 113 SC points and playing 3/4 of a GF with a torn PCL... he couldn't even kick the ball properly.

AFEV

Quote from: Ziplock on October 04, 2012, 07:20:15 PM
I don't really find his PCL too concerning- it's not as bad as an ACL (PCL is like a 6 week injury from memory), he has plenty of time to recover, and it was just a freak accident.

seriously though- 113 SC points and playing 3/4 of a GF with a torn PCL... he couldn't even kick the ball properly.
Yeah you're not wrong, just saying my decision is going to be heavily reliant on his preseason form. If it's anything beyond half decent I'll definitely give him a long hard look.

He's a freak though...One of the great modern players.

quinny88

Nice write up Zip. Goodes is a gun and has been for a long time but I dont think ill have him in 2013.
Becoming more injury prone, another year older, and plays more time forward than he ever has which lowers his scores. He isnt required in the midfield as much with the younger brigade of kennedy, hannabery, jack, parker etc taking the reigns form Goodes, okeefe, bolton, mcveigh etc. Can see him playing very minimal mid time in 2013

Ziplock

he still went into the mids/ centre bounces in the GF after he did his pcl...

My Chumps

Nice write-up Zippy, but I'm pretty sure he did his Quad midseason not his hammy  ;)

At that price, he's definietly worth considering.

One of my favourite players... I'd say of, if not the best in the last decade.

Adamant

Risky at his age...
Although he is underpriced, I might look at him as an upgrade.

quinny88

Quote from: Ziplock on October 04, 2012, 07:38:56 PM

Yeah will still have stints there but dont think we will see him spending large amounts of game time in the mids like were used to.

Ziplock

Quote from: My Chumps on October 04, 2012, 08:06:39 PM
Nice write-up Zippy, but I'm pretty sure he did his Quad midseason not his hammy  ;)

At that price, he's definietly worth considering.

One of my favourite players... I'd say of, if not the best in the last decade.

I actually knew that, dunno why I kept saying hammy.

Quote from: quinny88 on October 04, 2012, 09:34:56 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on October 04, 2012, 07:38:56 PM

Yeah will still have stints there but dont think we will see him spending large amounts of game time in the mids like were used to.

my point is if he's being thrown there with a torn pcl and unable to turn, you'd think he'd still be mid when he's fit.

quinny88

Yeah I know what your saying Zip but throughout the whole season Goodes spent most of his games in the forward line this year. Think hes just at that stage where thats where he will spend most of his game time

Ziplock

I still think he was just being eased back in after injury- before injury he was smashing it.

Ricochet

interesting that his average jumped to its highest ever after the 2005 grand final win...

felsty

he only really went into the mids toward the end of the season/finals and i would expect them to do that again, regardless if he gets injured or not.

1. rise of their young on-ball brigade such as hannebery, kennedy, jack, bird, etc.
2. age. as we have seen with cox this year the older blokes are being match conditioned to save their best for last

i strongly believe they kept him in the forward line to get match conditioning in him but also to help him work into it and then hit the midfield running when finals came round, and im just wary of sydney doing this again

Jroo

His age is a worry but if he is killing it, he will be a good upgrade target!