Main Menu

Free Agency - Good for the game?

Started by Spinking, October 02, 2012, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinking

I'm feeling a bit disheartened, looking through the AFL and other websites at the effects of Free Agency, in only it's early days. A line I've read a few times that I find particularly troublesome is "Player x walks out on x club."

While I'm a Saints supporter still getting over the loss of Goddard, I have said on here a few times that I think it was the right decision for the club. What concerns me is the direction this is all heading.

I completely understand the argument of the players that they have a limited window in which to earn money and they need to take every opportunity to maximise that, even if it means moving clubs. I also understand that the notion of club loyalty seems to be wavering a bit, particularly when a club is undervaluing or playing hard ball with a player. Saints supporters were disappoint to lose Luke Ball, but they generally agreed that the Saints hadn't valued him properly.

The debate between club and player seems to take centre stage, but it is sad that the supporter or fan is forgotten in all of this. While I support the concept that a player needs to get their pound of flesh I think the players forget that over the journey it is the fans who support their team, buy their memberships, wear their colours, attend the games, who are effectively their employer. We collectively as fans contribute the dollars which allow these blokes to play a game they love for a living, and I think in a lot of cases WE rather than the club, deserve better.

Sadly I think this is bringing an element to the game that is not for the better

Anyhow, rant over. I wish BJ the best at the Dons.

tbagrocks

Nope! as Micky Malthouse just said on 5AA, this will disadvantage the bottom clubs, terrible idea and we should sack the idiot Demetriou now without pay!

kilbluff1985

it works very well for sports overseas cant really judge it on one season anyway as they will change the rules as required etc but going by this type of things success in other sports i say give it more of a chance

JBs-Hawks

Good for the game? No.

Good for the clubs? Yes for top clubs, no for bottom clubs.

Good for supporters? No.

Good for the players? Yes.

valkorum

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 02, 2012, 07:11:43 PM
Nope! as Micky Malthouse just said on 5AA, this will disadvantage the bottom clubs, terrible idea and we should sack the idiot Demetriou now without pay!

Just to be clear - this is an initiative from the AFLPA (AFL Players Association) not from AFL HQ - they just signed off on it.

elephants

I don't know tbh.

I think it makes trade week a fair bit more exciting but overall I'm pretty against the idea.

The strongs clubs get stronger, weak clubs get weaker :-\

quinny88

Depends who you ask.

Guys like Chris Knights get a second life at footy that werent breaking into there current side so its a big tick in that area (which is why it was brought it in the first place)

Then on the other hand Goddard decides he wants some more cash despite being on a healthy wage and a leader of his club (can garuntee St.kilda being on there way down while Essendon are on the way up was a huge factor too) In that instance its terrible for the game.

Spinking

Quote from: quinny88 on October 02, 2012, 07:40:48 PM
Depends who you ask.

Guys like Chris Knights get a second life at footy that werent breaking into there current side so its a big tick in that area (which is why it was brought it in the first place)

Then on the other hand Goddard decides he wants some more cash despite being on a healthy wage and a leader of his club (can garuntee St.kilda being on there way down while Essendon are on the way up was a huge factor too) In that instance its terrible for the game.

Reckon that is just about spot on Quinny. I agree that a major benefit is that some guys, like Knights, can extend their career where it had stalled. Maloney is probably in that boat a bit too.

Justin Bieber

What Tippett did was bad. Leaving just for the money. It akes everything interesting though.

quinny88

Quote from: whatlez on October 03, 2012, 01:38:49 AM
What Tippett did was bad. Leaving just for the money. It akes everything interesting though.

Tippet claimed he wanted to leave to go home.. We'll soon see if thats the case or not

Justin Bieber

Quote from: quinny88 on October 03, 2012, 02:21:44 AM

Tippet claimed he wanted to leave to go home.. We'll soon see if thats the case or not

But also said he will go to the club that offers him the most $$$$

Sliam

If players are good enough then they get traded or re signed in the preseason or even in later drafts. We already had that. Chris Knights probably still would've ended in Richmond and Lynch probably in melbourne.

I still don't know why the players Association thought this couldn't disadvantage anyone.

Goddard wouldn't of moved to Essendon if free agency wasn't around. He didn't particullarly wanted to be traded but it's been turned into a $$$$ fest.

My opinion

kilbluff1985

sorry but i think to judge this after the market being open 2 days is crazy

Ringo

Agree with Kilbuff here we are making judgements way too early.  Allow the idea to bed in and then do the evaluation  We have not yet seen how the compensation picks will also work so until we see the Free Agency in it's totality it is a bit unfair to make these early judgements.

Rusty00

Quote from: whatlez on October 03, 2012, 02:47:20 AM
Quote from: quinny88 on October 03, 2012, 02:21:44 AM

But also said he will go to the club that offers him the most $$$$
Tippett is not a free agent and still has to get a trade done to get to a club of his choice and therefore isn't really relevant in this thread discussion.