Main Menu

Free Agency - Good for the game?

Started by Spinking, October 02, 2012, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

I'm not sure about everybody else but I'm not a fan of the restricted and unrestricted status a player has... I think clubs should get compensation and choose whether they let players walk or not, rather than have no control over it

AFEV

Quote from: Tominator on October 04, 2012, 06:01:49 PM
I'm not sure about everybody else but I'm not a fan of the restricted and unrestricted status a player has... I think clubs should get compensation and choose whether they let players walk or not, rather than have no control over it
This whole movement was about allowing players to have more control over their career so handing that power straight back to the clubs makes this whole thing kind of pointless...

Spinking

I agree with those sentiments about giving it time to see how it plays out. I believe that a lot of the unpopular decisions that the league have made over he journey, have actually been good for the game even though they were painful at the time - This may be like that.

I suppose my main sentiment is sadness at the loss of a bloke I've cheered on for years. I told my young bloke last night that BJ was going to the Dons which he cried about. I explained why Goddard was going but a 7 year old doesn't understand the concept of career, or additional money, or life after footy. He just knows that a hero of his has gone to the competition. Took me back to my youth when I cried because Plugger was going to the Swannies.

Anyway. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.  :)

Nails

Quote from: Tominator on October 04, 2012, 06:01:49 PM

They do have control, they re-sign the player... and if the player is restricted the club can keep him if they really want ;) Obviously if they don't match a restricted bid they're just being a scrooge.

I don't agree with the sentiment the strong clubs get stronger. There are salary caps, and maybe the rich clubs can afford players, but there's a salary cap. And to get a player in free agency you need to pay more $ 95% of the time. Paying MORE for the best player will make you top heavy and not stronger IMO.

Quote from: quinny88 on October 03, 2012, 02:21:44 AM
Quote from: whatlez on October 03, 2012, 01:38:49 AM
What Tippett did was bad. Leaving just for the money. It akes everything interesting though.

Tippet claimed he wanted to leave to go home.. We'll soon see if thats the case or not

Why is Tippett being discussed? He's leaving through the trade window, not free agency.

henry

Free agency is not that bad for the clubs down the bottom of the ladder. Players struggling for opportunities at their current club  move to the clubs not as good to extend their career. Look at the demons for example gaining  Byrnes. Other players such as Monfries (I know he was traded not free agency) are also wanting to join Port.

Tominator

Quote from: henry on October 08, 2012, 07:25:19 PM
Free agency is not that bad for the clubs down the bottom of the ladder. Players struggling for opportunities at their current club  move to the clubs not as good to extend their career. Look at the demons for example gaining  Byrnes. Other players such as Monfries (I know he was traded not free agency) are also wanting to join Port.

Great call. John McCarthy last year was a prime example, such a shame we never got to see his full potential over a number of years (yes I know he was traded)...

Slattery is another, is he eligible for free agency?

Thornton and Russell from Carlton are free agents wanting to go elsewhere (likely Port), so it isn't all that bad for the weaker clubs, even though strong clubs will get stronger in some ways

Mailman the 2nd

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149479/default.aspx

Shows some of the flaws of the system.

McCarthy was picked in the preseason draft, which is part of the system we already had.

I still don't believe the free agency is helping clubs at all. Monfries could've just been traded to Port. Same with Chaplin and Moloney and Byrnes as well.

All I see now is clubs getting worse compensation then they usually would.

Getting pick 13 is already bad for losing someone like Goddard but now they are forced into not being able to pick up other free agents and see the pick 13 turn into something worse.

I mean it was fine last year. O'Hailphan got redrafted, James Sellar picked up by Melbourne.

Wilkes
Mcdonald
McCarthy
Dawson
Pfeiffer
McQualter
Dick

They all got opportunities easily under the AFL system previously used.  Maybe I just don't understand it properly