Main Menu

Goddard signing tomorrow

Started by kilbluff1985, September 30, 2012, 06:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilbluff1985

Mark Robinson@Robbo_heraldsun

News: brendon Goddard tomorrow will sign a four-year deal to play with essendon. Full story on @superfooty shortly

elephants

:o big news!!

Where is that salary cap room coming from?

kilbluff1985

dunno prob Monfries jumping ship and doubt we would be using all our salary cap on our current list  when you look at the lists of Hawks, Pies etc

elephants

Quote from: kilbluff1995 on September 30, 2012, 06:22:23 PM
dunno prob Monfries jumping ship and doubt we would be using all our salary cap on our current list  when you look at the lists of Hawks, Pies etc

Yeah fair enough. Great bit of business if this news is legit!!

kilbluff1985

same news is up on the herald sun site now so seems legit

Robinson is usually reliable

elephants

All over Facebook as well (not that that is reliable haha)

ossie85

Could be very wrong (and I often am) but this could be a huge back-fire for Essendon if they've overpaid. Goddard hasn't been anywhere near as influential (still more than serviceable) these last couple of years...

kilbluff1985

every trade or new player to a club comes at a risk

Master Q

Hawka

Quote from: ossie85 on September 30, 2012, 07:00:34 PM

Could be very wrong (and I often am) but this could be a huge back-fire for Essendon if they've overpaid. Goddard hasn't been anywhere near as influential (still more than serviceable) these last couple of years...
Couldnt agree more, and also they needa get rid of the likes of Pears and other fringes who are good depth, The hawks and the piesd wouldnt of made the top for and a grand final and prelim respectivley if they didnt have good depth
its like on a game trading 3 or 4 70-75s for one 90 ruins the balance

tbagrocks

CClearly not that desperate to win a flag then?  :o

unless he plans to play on into his thirties but given he was a star 18yr old that's unlikely

AFEV

Quote from: tbagrocks on September 30, 2012, 07:30:52 PM
CClearly not that desperate to win a flag then?  :o

unless he plans to play on into his thirties but given he was a star 18yr old that's unlikely
You seem to think we're a lot further off than we actually are. People have very short memories. ::)

My first instinct is that it's an overpay, but when you think about his value beyond his own performance.

1) He's an extremely experienced finals campaigner, he has proven he can perform in big games which will be invaluable given how many of our guys have barely seen footy past August.

2) Takes a LOT of pressure of both Watson and Stanton. Opposition coaches used to just tag one of Watson and/or Stanton, usually they could count on keeping Stanton out of the game which really hurt our whole midfield unit.

3) With Jobe winning the Brownlow he was always going to have immense pressure being put on him for next year, this could ease a lot of that pressure.

4) He is a good user of the ball. Our lack of good ball users became apparent in the second half of the season. When we were winning we got ourselves into positions where you didn't need to be a great kick but then obviously we were exposed in the second half.

Not sure about other Essendon supporters but I'd much rather have someone like Brendon line up than a NLM or a Lonergan (as much as I admire Sam.)

Still not entirely sure about this, it seems all too easy for St Kilda to just offer another year and retain him but I suppose we'll see.

Windigo

Good acquisition for Essendon.

Seems Newman was correct.  8)

Sliam

Hmmm might backfire but i think that it'll be a good pickup in the end. Plus Jobe needs help  :P

Also how much does goddard earn currently compard to the expected offer of $800,000 per year.

Also again, St.Kilda can pretty much quash this straight away by offering the same amount so he definately isn't a certainty to decide which makes the herald sun post seem just a rumour imo

AFEV

Quote from: Sliam on September 30, 2012, 08:40:47 PM
Hmmm might backfire but i think that it'll be a good pickup in the end. Plus Jobe needs help  :P

Also how much does goddard earn currently compard to the expected offer of $800,000 per year.

Also again, St.Kilda can pretty much quash this straight away by offering the same amount so he definately isn't a certainty to decide which makes the herald sun post seem just a rumour imo
They were offering 700k over 3 years. They don't want to offer more time or more money so if he takes the contract for them I doubt they can or will match it, seeing as they need to match both the length and the amount.