Main Menu

2012 Off season

Started by Sliam, September 26, 2012, 06:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sliam

This is Mails to all of you Swans fans if you missed the thread below or whatever (sliam is mails backwards  :P)

Anyway seeing as I dont have the true excitement of the Grand Final experience considering Im missing it (in Germany) i wantred to discuss things such as trades, possible delistings  imports etc. I dont really know anything about the upcoming draft but ill hope that we go for some key position players seeing as midfield isnt really an issue.

Anyways looking at this website interested me (http://trademachine.afl.com.au/sydney-swans/)

First, I cant really see any imminent retirements considering Bolton extended. That leaves the unpretty business of delisting 1 or 2 players. (not sure on max players allowed)

First that come to mind is someone like Dylan mcneil or maybe being harsh on Cambell heath. Really the way our team has turned out you couldnt ever see them getting a game unless a Fremantle 2011 happens. Hopefully they can mfind somewhere else.

Trading/leaving out: Ill discuss the main players under scruitiny from beginning of 2012

Armstrong - Wasnt sure of his commitment before start of the season but did fine and deserves his place.

Trent Dennis-lane - I doubt anyone would offer a lot for him but he needs to bulk up and lift. Considering the hype he had preseason he couldnt break as a forward. We kinda need to keep him because hes a forward and hes still young.

Everitt -  I know many of you arent fans but he had some stuff to offer up forward, or at least more than others. Considering we gave away veszpremi for him Id be pretty content, hopefuly he improves.

Gordon - Im guessing people wanted to trade him for lack of knowledge? Idk how he went but if he stagnates again in 2013 youd be worried.

Meredith - Look i don't know about this guy. He looked good in 09 when he played games but we should probably look for a possible trade considering he wont be getting far.

Moore - Poor bloke. Was one of the hardest in Sydney but just hasn't managed to keep up and as much as i'd love to keep him we should tell him to test the free agnency and one of the lower clubs may well embrace his spirit.

Morton - Round 4 pick for him was too easy and hopefully he builds on the experience and doesnt turn into a Moore or Vezspremi story.

Pyke - lol jks too good.

Seaby - GIVE HIM TO A CLUB FOR CHRISTS SAKES OR PLAY HIM. He's a better ruckmen than many others and Pyke, LRT Mumford suits us much too well to keep him here. He is actually worth a reasonable amount of currency tradewise and he ain't gonna be playng.

Spangher - Was a little bit like 2012 LRT in 2011 but i think injuries stopped him from improving which is unfortunate. I say give him 2013 and if he doesn't look to be what we're looking for then he'll probably be delisted honourably. Doubt any actaual trade would occur at all.

Jesse White - Ok, he played 3 games. To be honest he still hasn't got it. Sometimes he monsters packs and bursts out in leads but he obviously didnt do it enough so that Walsh and the like got games before him. The fact that he played 3 of the first 7 before not playing again tells me it was another trial and fail. Look i think we should just say he's available for trade and see if anything comes our way. In the likely situation that nothing does, just be brutally honest with him. Give him 2013 to at least prove that he could be a 2nd hand man to Reid. Reid isn't great yet, but shows glimpses of greatness. White doesn't need to be great, he needs to be good. If nothing eventuates from 2013 offer him again or then delist him. At the rate hes going he'll be useful for about 2 years.

Trading in: we have lots of salary cap as I'm aware since bradshaw and bolton left so i think we could get mainly anyone and ill talk about those who are free or who i think would fit.

Russell - Probably wants to head back to SA and I dont know if he would fit in the team at all but he's a pretty damn good player. Unlikely

Goddard - As much as I want Sydney to get him, I see like a slim chance. I reckon if we put a bit on the table and bring home the trophy it might just catch a hint of enticement.

Cloke - Too expensive for what he'd be worth considering clubs like GWS want him.

Moloney - Only player that we've actually been linked to. Yeah he'd be good I'd guess but don't get too caught up if other clubs are interested in him but he'd be a nice addition to the 22.

Knights - He's gone. i think to Richmond

Tippett - Same to GC

Gumbleton - I think he's worth it if we ask. Got plenty of talent and has only been stagnating at the Bombers due to the injuries they all seem to be getting. Tall forward i say go for it.

So my main people of interest atm are Goddard, Gumbleton and Moloney in that order, although more will show up closer to trade week and I don't know about recycled players this year but I'm sure they'll pop up too.

2012 thoughts: Regardless of win or loss this week fantastic year. Loss of Goodes Mumford and Rohan didnt disrupt the team as much as people expected making us a real threat. Special kudos to jetta and richards for taking it to the level we'd hoped. Hopefully now reid will follow. Good thing is that i'm sure no one will rate us to do as well next year again and even if we take out the grand final we'll still be sitting under the radar.

So thats the big wall of text finished and hopefully you guys can add or disagree or agree to some of the things but most importanty

GOOOOOOOOOO SWANS

j959

whoa! settle down mails!!!
"one game at a time mate"!!!! 

there's still a GF the Swannys have to play yet mate, even if you are in Germany!
surely you'll be able to find a pub full of expat Aussies there somewhere to get into the game?!?!?   :o    ;)

Capper

Quote from: j959 on September 26, 2012, 11:21:37 AM
whoa! settle down mails!!!
"one game at a time mate"!!!! 

there's still a GF the Swannys have to play yet mate, even if you are in Germany!
surely you'll be able to find a pub full of expat Aussies there somewhere to get into the game?!?!?   :o    ;)
i agree, lets wait till the GF is over but clearly Seaby and White will be traded to probably GWS and Moloney would be a good get.

Good to see Chelsea wearing the right colours there J

Sliam

lol still trying to get myself pumped up for it.

It'll be 8 am here when its played so hopefully i can tune in to the scores seeing as the laptop is completely shower lol

Otherwise the thread is only valid next week  :)

Ziplock

giants don't want or need cloke :P

Capper

Quote from: Ziplock on September 26, 2012, 04:58:35 PM
giants don't want or need cloke :P
i thought he was already on the Visy board  ;D

what about Seaby??

Ziplock

I wouldn't be very surprised if we made a play at seaby tbh.

Capper

Quote from: Ziplock on September 26, 2012, 07:20:59 PM
I wouldn't be very surprised if we made a play at seaby tbh.
especially if Giles goes home. What about White??

Ziplock

giles isn't going back to SA- that's just some bs that SA's made up :P

I doubt white- he's more of a key forward than another ruck, so we don't really need him.

Justin Bieber

Welcome back Mails!

I missed the 09 Grandfinal cause I was in Ireland at the time :(

fidou

I was working in South Africa when Collingwood won the 1990 Grand Final and it was always my call to say I had never witnessed a Collingwood Premiership until 2010 rolled along.

Sliam

Now this thread applies  ;D

Capper

didnt think we were interested in Tippett though

Sliam

Quote from: tabs on October 01, 2012, 08:27:05 PM
didnt think we were interested in Tippett though

Well idk whether any of the talk about tippett is true given horse holds the cards to his chest generally.

Maybe offer Gumbleton still? i doubt the Dons are free flowing with cash after goddard and he's pretty good given opportunity. I still think we need another tall forward and i think both White and Seaby are headed to the giants

Hawka

Tippet or any tall forward would be good for the swans
Goodes surely dosent have long left and theres doubts on Reid it seems and i dont see LRT being a number 1 forward

If tippet went to the swans i doubt he would be doing much rucking if any at all