Main Menu

Crows in 2013

Started by tbagrocks, September 25, 2012, 02:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

Draw schmaw we came within 5 points of getting into the GF, I think we had a great year and should definitely push for Top 4 next year, hard to say though with so many teams on the up or near their peak at the moment

McRooster

Quote from: Wes Mantooth on October 05, 2012, 11:31:18 PM
One thing to note, is a favourable draw put you guys in second this year, meaning you could lose to Sydney and get another chance. If you're draw wasn't as easy, you could have been out in the first week. And I'm not the only person to think this, a number of Crows fans conceded as much.

I'm sure they'll improve as a team but I'm sure their draw will see them finish with a few less wins than this year.
All teams play each other once, that's 17 games plus 5 others to see out the season.
The Crows played two top eight contenders twice (including last years premiers) - Geelong and Fremantle + the inevitable bi-annual Showdown v Port Adelaide.
So, the argument about Adelaide's draw is that they got to play GC and GWS twice, pffft. That is two games from 22. Pfft, favourable, pffft. It is amazing to see the weakness of those who fail to acknowledge the success of those before them because they themselves cannot explain their own deficiency. Crows caned 2012, beyond expectation, and will do so again in 2013.

Spite

Quote from: lachie_001 on October 06, 2012, 12:01:48 AM
One thing to note, is a favourable draw put you guys in second this year, meaning you could lose to Sydney and get another chance. If you're draw wasn't as easy, you could have been out in the first week. And I'm not the only person to think this, a number of Crows fans conceded as much.

I'm sure they'll improve as a team but I'm sure their draw will see them finish with a few less wins than this year.
Still without the extra gws and gc game the crows still finished 5th. And we did have to beat syndey, geelong and carlton (at their peak) all in a row and we did. I do still think we had a softer draw then others but we still had to win the games to get there. And we finished 14th the year before, so we had a right to that soft draw. I think we will finish top four next year, where in the top four I don't know. Sick of hearing this soft draw though, because its not like collingwood play on the mcg everyweek..

Collingwood had to play pretty much the top 6 twice though, while adelaide played gws and gc... Yes the MCG is necessary for all our fans, but its not like AAMI where only port and adelaide have an advantage. The G is pretty much a neutral ground for like 5 Vic teams, so the home ground advantage isn't as great.

team rohan

On the flipside though, the tougher draw generally brings in more cash...

lachie_001

QuoteCollingwood had to play pretty much the top 6 twice though, while adelaide played gws and gc... Yes the MCG is necessary for all our fans, but its not like AAMI where only port and adelaide have an advantage. The G is pretty much a neutral ground for like 5 Vic teams, so the home ground advantage isn't as great.
No what it means is that collingwood never have to travel, they left Melbourne about 4 times the whole h&a season. Crows left adelaide 12 times..
QuoteAll teams play each other once, that's 17 games plus 5 others to see out the season.
The Crows played two top eight contenders twice (including last years premiers) - Geelong and Fremantle + the inevitable bi-annual Showdown v Port Adelaide. So, the argument about Adelaide's draw is that they got to play GC and GWS twice, pffft. That is two games from 22. Pfft, favourable, pffft. It is amazing to see the weakness of those who fail to acknowledge the success of those before them because they themselves cannot explain their own deficiency. Crows caned 2012, beyond expectation, and will do so again in 2013.
Absolutely correct! +18372682736282

Ziplock

so... you played 7th and 6th... of which you won 3/4... not exactly challenging.

yeah, you play port twice every year, atm that just gives you a constant advantage (should port ever rebuild it might give you a disadvantage)... but just because it's always going to be in your draw doesn't mean it's not an edge.

See how you do next year when instead of playing 3 bottom 4 sides twice, and two teams barely scraping into the 8 you end up playing the hawks, swans and someone like wce (when they actually have a forward line). You're lucky you missed out on the GF though- you wouldn't have won it, and that extra position lower might give you a slightly better draw that won't destroy you.

You guys should make the 8 relatively comfortably, but I really, really doubt you'll make the top 4.

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: McRooster on October 06, 2012, 02:15:30 AM

All teams play each other once, that's 17 games plus 5 others to see out the season.
The Crows played two top eight contenders twice (including last years premiers) - Geelong and Fremantle + the inevitable bi-annual Showdown v Port Adelaide.
So, the argument about Adelaide's draw is that they got to play GC and GWS twice, pffft. That is two games from 22. Pfft, favourable, pffft. It is amazing to see the weakness of those who fail to acknowledge the success of those before them because they themselves cannot explain their own deficiency. Crows caned 2012, beyond expectation, and will do so again in 2013.

PFFT, so if you hadn't played three of the easiest teams twice, you potentially were looking at two to three less wins than you had. Where would you have finished on the ladder? In a tie for 5th and 6th. If you look, I didnt discount the improvement factor.

lachie_001

Quote from: Ziplock on October 06, 2012, 08:04:19 PM
so... you played 7th and 6th... of which you won 3/4... not exactly challenging.

yeah, you play port twice every year, atm that just gives you a constant advantage (should port ever rebuild it might give you a disadvantage)... but just because it's always going to be in your draw doesn't mean it's not an edge.

See how you do next year when instead of playing 3 bottom 4 sides twice, and two teams barely scraping into the 8 you end up playing the hawks, swans and someone like wce (when they actually have a forward line). You're lucky you missed out on the GF though- you wouldn't have won it, and that extra position lower might give you a slightly better draw that won't destroy you.

You guys should make the 8 relatively comfortably, but I really, really doubt you'll make the top 4.
We are team that are improving, we have the best young midfield in the competition hands down. Throw in future AA talia and future Coleman medalist walker and your looking at a top four side. Lets just see how 2013 plays out, because with an ounce of luck from the umpires in that prelim we probably would have been in a grandfinal. But that's history now. Goodluck to whomever you barrak for because I'm very proud to be a supporter of this club.

tbagrocks

The last two games v Gold Coast and Melbourne, lets take them out and play Sydney (would now be a home game) and Hawthorn (also a home game) even if we actually lost both games it would be a percentage battle against West Coast for fourth, for the record it finished 132% Adelaide 124 WC, so chances are we still made the top four, so go bye a flower pot to grow some potato's in because anyone still blaming the draw for Adelaide's success (was five points from a Grand Final) is a spud growing flower pot!

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 06, 2012, 08:45:13 PM
The last two games v Gold Coast and Melbourne, lets take them out and play Sydney (would now be a home game) and Hawthorn (also a home game) even if we actually lost both games it would be a percentage battle against West Coast for fourth, for the record it finished 132% Adelaide 124 WC, so chances are we still made the top four, so go bye a flower pot to grow some potato's in because anyone still blaming the draw for Adelaide's success (was five points from a Grand Final) is a spud growing flower pot!

Errr... Hate to point out the obvious but 68 - 8 (two wins) is 60. You would still be 4 points behind WCE. Who is the spud growing flower pot?

tbagrocks

Sorry mate but West Coast finished on 60, lol, I'm not the flower pot growing spud  8)

Wes Mantooth

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 06, 2012, 08:55:54 PM
Sorry mate but West Coast finished on 60, lol, I'm not the flower pot growing spud  8)

I take that back, my bad. One should have a proper nights sleep before trying to make a call.
However I don't know what it is you do with yourself but I don't think I'm one of the least intelligent people going around on this forum as your comment implied.

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on October 06, 2012, 08:45:13 PM

1)you didn't play melbourne twice, you played gws twice.
2) taking out GC/ GWS means you also have to take out the points scored and % etc. So, presuming you lost to the hawks and sydney by about 10 points each (which is generous), with the hawks scoring 110 (about 15 points less than their average), and sydney scoring about 90 (just so we have numbers, meaning adelaide scores 100 and 80 respectively), you actually end up with a % of around 119.

The actual numbers don't really matter than much, but those are completely reasonable numbers.

So, by that count you finish 5th- this isn't even including the loss of tippett, or how essendon and carlton could end up going, as when fit and on form they're both top 8 material for sure and could push the 4, or even teams like richmond who are also young and just need some consistency.

you only even got close to the grandfinal because hawthorn played terribly- really demonstrated in the grandfinal when they continued their form, to get beaten by sydney who had half their team unable to run by the end of the game (exaggeration, but bolton had his partially torn acl/ pcl, goodes tore his pcl, mumford had groin issues, richards had his flowered ankle and jetta seemed to be limping for some reason, although I have no idea why).

personally, I think 5th would be a reasonable estimate. I wouldn't be surprised if you dropped as low as 8th though.

tbagrocks

First, Hawthorn played as well as Adelaide let them, second, you may think so but if Adelaide won one game of the two against better opposition they finish top four

and three. how much you wanna bet the Crows finish higher than eighth?

The side is basically as young as Richmond or Melbourne's and we are simply better  :P

Mitch Grigg, Sam Kerrige, Rory Laird, Shaun McKernen, Lewis Johnston, Lynchy, Jaensch, Riley, Lyons, Luke Brown

these are names of players who struggled to get games but are fantastic footballers, this is very scary for any opponent!

Ziplock

no, hawthorn played terribly, well not terribly, but way way below their abilities.

second- I was just demonstrating that, as you said, if you lost against sydney + hawthorn instead of beating gws and gc, that you would most likely finish 5th, not 4th.

3rdly- melbourne sucks.

that is all.