Elephants Exceptional 2012 Re-Cap Thread! My 10,000th Post.

Started by elephants, September 23, 2012, 05:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1-10 how do you rate my review?

14 (41.2%)
7 (20.6%)
5 (14.7%)
4 (11.8%)
1 (2.9%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (2.9%)
0 (0%)
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 6

elephants

This is indeed my 10,00th post in the counted section and, if I'm honest, I wanted it to be a good one.

I'm going to go through all 18 teams and offer my opinion on season 2012, the year that was.

Adelaide Crows

Ladder Position - 2nd
Finals Run - Gallant loss in the preliminary finals to Hawthorn
Seasons Best Players - Patrick Dangerfield, Sam Jacobs, Rory Sloane, Scott Thompson, Taylor Walker
One to watch next season - There is too many but Walker is my tip
Summary - Given arguably the softest draw in the competition after a poor season in 2011, Brenton Sanderson has pulled the Crows into the top echelon in the AFL. Losing by a miniscule 5 points in a cracking preliminary final to the fancied premiership favourites, the Crows proved many sceptics wrong. Starting the year with 7 wins over their first 8 matches (including a narrow one away to Sydney and a absolute belting of the Blues) Adelaide, with their young list were looking like a pretty ominous threat to the top 4. From there we saw them lose just another 6 matches for the rest of the season. The future looks extremely bright for these Crows with youngsters such as Sloane, Dangerfield, Brodie Smith and Jacobs all showing what they can do this year.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 3rd. I see them slipping slightly with a tougher draw but the steely resolve that Sando has injected to the group has me watching them next season as a premiership roughie!

Brisbane Lions

Ladder Position - 13th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players - Jack Redden, Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich, Joel Patfull
One to watch next season - Matthew Leuenberger and Tom Rockliff
Summary - Well, well, well. It was an improvement on last year, I'll give them that. I am still not convinced about Voss' coaching ability though. The infamous example is playing Rockliff deep in the forward line. HE IS CLEARLY A MIDFIELDER! Aside from that, the Lions are another side who have some great youth. Ryan Harwood, Pearce Hanley, Redden, Rockliff, Rich, Zorko, and Leuenberger are all the future of the Lions and as AFL greats Jono Brown and Simon Black bow out, it will be this group of players ready to carry them forward. There is definitely evidence of this improvement with a stunning 2 point win over the Eagles in round 10 this year!
Predicted finish in 2013 - 10th. More improvement from the Lions but not quite strong enough to be a genuine top 8 finals contender... yet.

Carlton Blues

Ladder Position - 10th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players - Marc Murphy (when fit), Brock McLean, Heath Scotland, Andrew Carrazzo (when fit)
One to watch next season - Bryce Gibbs and David Ellard
Summary - ... It wasn't pretty for Carlton supporters. The team that promised so much, the Blues didn't even make the finals and, as a result, sacked coach Brett Ratten. They have however bought in coaching legend Mick Malthouse who, I believe, will have an incredibly positive impact on the Blues next season. Starting last season with 3 straight wins and 5 wins in the first 6 saw the Blues premiership favourites for quite a while early in the season. Long term injuries to superstars Marc Murphy and Andrew Carrazzo however saw their season de-railed in every sense of the word. Their form improved markedly when the aforementioned injured players returned but it wasn't enough to see them enter finals when, looking at their midfield, they're certainly a top 4 side.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 7th. They'll improve under Malthouse but not enough to make the leap to a top 4 spot.

Collingwood Magpies

Ladder Position - 4th
Finals Run - Loss to Sydney in preliminary final
Seasons Best Players - Dayne Beams, Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Darren Jolly
One to watch next season - Travis Cloke (wherever he may be!) and Luke Ball
Summary - A decent season for the Pies. I'm sure there would be many Collingwood supporters out there that would have expected much more but by no means can the season be deemed a failure. Sure, they didn't make the Grand Final, Sure, they lost to Hawthorn twice in the home and away season, Sure, they lost to the Blues by 10 goals in round 2 but players like Blair, Sidebottom and Beams have proven they are able to match it with the best running through the middle with Beams in particular stamping himself as a genuine elite midfielder. Plenty of action on brownlow night for the Pies you would expect! With Ball returning as well and Dale Thomas a full pre-season too I can see big things from the Pies next season... Unfortunately.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 5th. I really don't know why... I just feel like they are prone to slipping up.

Essendon Bombers

Ladder Position - 11th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players - Jobe Watson, Jobe Watson, Jobe Watson, Dyson Heppell, Dustin Fletcher and Ben Howlett
One to watch next season - Brent Stanton and Michael Hurley
Summary - The tale of the Bombers season has been told many a times so I don't see any real need to go into too much detail. 35 soft tissue injuries destroyed what was shaping up to be a very good finals tilt. Something needs to be done in the pre-season because quality young players such as Dempsey, Howlett, Hibberd and Hooker can not just be going down with persistent soft tissue injuries. A solid game plan and some quality youth and leg-speed should hold the Bombers in good stead next season.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 8th. Until Hurley becomes a true power forward and Stanton learns to break a tag and help out his mate Watson I feel like the Bombers are too easy to shut down.

Fremantle Dockers

Ladder Position - 7th
Finals Run - Loss to the Crows in the semi final.
Seasons Best Players - Michael Barlow, Clancee Pearce, Matthew Pavlich, David Mundy, Luke McPharlin
One to watch next season - Greg Broughton
Summary - It took a little while for the Dockers players and fans to adapt to the defensive lockdown style of new coach Ross Lyon. Once it all clicked though, boy did it click. One of the best ruck combinations in the land (Sandi and Griffen) and a youthful midfield beneath them (Nat Fyfe included) should see the Dockers improve once again next season and move up into a spot just under the top 4. Possibly lack a true elite midfielder but that will come in time with Fyfe and Barlow rapidly improving.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 6th. Watch out some September as well!

Geelong Cats

Ladder Position - 6th
Finals Run - Lost to Fremantle at the 'G
Seasons Best Players - Joel Selwood, Paul Chapman, Steve Johnson, James Kelly
One to watch next season - Daniel Menzel and Travis Varcoe
Summary - The grand old ere of Geelong is sadly coming to a close. What was once the powerhouse side in the competition is now becoming a side of a few promising youngsters but too many injury-prone veterans. Taking nothing away from your Chapman's, Enright's, Johnson's and Scarlett's. All have been and still are in some cases quality players but over the next few years their impact on the AFL will wane and I'm going out on a limb here... The Cats won't make the 8. Despite some quality in Menzel, Varcoe, Christensen and Duncan coming through their simply isn't enough to replace an entire side.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 10th. They will knock off some big sides but they'll inevitably lose some to lowly sides.

Hawthorn Hawks

Ladder Position - 1st
Finals Run - In the Grand Final
Seasons Best Players - Sam Mitchell, Grant Birchall, Buddy Franklin, Jarryd Roughead, Brad Sewell
One to watch next season - Shane Savage and Jack Gunston
Summary - The Hawthorn Juggernaut is here to stay. Despite playing below their best yesterday against the Crows (much of that should be attributed to Adelaide's pressure) the Hawks are a young and uncompromising side. Their kick-to-kick game plan is not only excellent for our fantasy sides but it frustrates opposition teams to no end and into rash decisions. Expect them to lose some quality over the next 2-3 years in Guerra, Mitchell and Burgoyne but there is plenty of quality coming through the Hawthorn ranks to replace them.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 1st. Surely you couldn't bet against them!?

Greater Western Sydney Giants

Ladder Position - 18th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players - Callan Ward, Phil Davis, Jon Giles, Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron
One to watch next season - Dylan Shiel
Summary - This side will be lethal in years to come. Wins against Gold Coast and Port Adelaide have proven that when these youngsters add some muscle and experience at AFL level to their raw talent they will be a premiership lock. I won't name all their quality rookies because I'll leave someone out but as this youthful side progresses under the coaching messiah, Kevin Sheedy, look out opposition teams. A pass mark this year, they pushed some sides hard but next year will be the real judgement year.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 16th. I certainly don't see them finishing last!

Gold Coast Suns

Ladder Position - 17th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players - Gary Ablett, Harley Bennell, David Swallow, Charlie Dixon
One to watch next season - Tom Lynch
Summary - I see their whole set-up as somewhat inferior to that of the Giants. They have a major reliance on just Ablett and this is not good for the team going forward. When Ablett leaves what will they do? After opening the season with 15 straight losses, the Suns managed to scrape 3 wins in their last 9 matches (against Richmond, GWS and Carlton) to get up to 17th spot, one spot above their fellow new comers the Giants. As some of these quality young stars fill out and understand the gameplan and pace of the AFL watch them improve.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 17th. My big tip for next season, no improvement in ladder position!

North Melbourne Kangaroos

Ladder Position - 8th
Finals Run - Smashed by 96 points in finals week 1
Seasons Best Players - Andrew Swallow, Jack Ziebell, Drew Petrie, Brent Harvey
One to watch next season - Shaun Atley
Summary - The Kangas had a relatively good season, FINALLY breaking into the top 8 after lurking around it for a long long time. They have some quality youth through the midfield and some good young backmen. It is there forward line that concerns me. Boomer Harvey won't be around for much longer (well not the first 6 weeks of next year anyway) and Petrie isn't getting any younger. It will be guys like Aaron Edwards, Kieran Harper and Lachie Hansen that will need to really nail down a spot next season for the Roos to repeat this years feats.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 11th. Hope I can be proven wrong.

Melbourne Demons

Ladder Position - 16th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players - Nathan Jones, Jeremy Howe and Jack Grimes
One to watch next season - Daniel Nicholson
Summary - Another horrible season for the Demons. barely any improvement and the death of inspirational CEO Jim Stynes only made matter worse. There were times early in the season when guys like Mitch Clark and Jeremy Howe looked like breaking out in the Demons forward line but alas, Clark's season ended with a serious foot injury. I would love to say I can see improvement from the Demons but I honestly can't! In fact, I see them going backwards which is seriously concerning...
Predicted finish in 2013 - 18th. I don't say this with a lot of confidence but I don't see them having the quality to improve or keep up with the expansion clubs.

Port Adelaide Power

Ladder Position - 15th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players - Travis Boak, Brad Ebert, Dom Cassisi
One to watch next season - Ben Jacobs
Summary - A disappointing year ended in tragedy. I don't feel like I need to go into the details of said tragedy so we will keep it on the footy. Port seemed to struggle with the Primus game plan, epitomized by their loss to the Giants which saw Primus sacked on the spot. Gary Hocking came in to his position but at that point, not a lot could be done to save the sinking ship. To be completely honest though, I see big improvements from the power next season. Blokes like Trengove, Jacobs, Ebert, Boak, Chad Wingard and Danyle Pearce should all improve swiftly while Schulz, Carlile and Chaplin are all very able players on their day. If these youngsters can produce then I have no qualms in saying they can improve by more than one place next season.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 13th. On the way up, watch this space.

Richmond Tigers

Ladder Position - 12th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players - Trent Cotchin, Brett Deledio, Ivan Maric and Jack Riewoldt
One to watch next season - Trent Cotchin!!
Summary - Another season of near misses for the Tigers. They beat some quality outfits but then lost the very next week to lowly sides such as the Suns which effectively ended their finals aspirations. A very capable young side, I see them going close next season. Cotchin, Deledio and Maric head and awesome looking ruck trio going forward as Cotchin has finally broken into the elite midfielder category. Just need some more consistency and fluency in their game before they become a true blue finals outfit.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 9th. "We finished 9th again" Sorry Tigers fans.

St. Kilda Saints

Ladder Position - 9th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players - Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo, Ben McEvoy, Stephen Milne, Sean Dempster
One to watch next season - Sam Gilbert
Summary - The Saints side that was a premiership fancy not too long ago has seemingly had their premiership window slammed shut in their faces. What used to be a top 4 side under Lyon has slumped now to a 9th place finish last season. With Hayes, NDS, Riewoldt, Fisher and Milne not getting any younger and Goddard likely to be packing his bags I really can't see much if any improvement from the Saints. Sure they have some good youth in Steven, Siposs and Simpkin coming through but I simply don't feel its enough.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 14th. I just don't see it. Sorry Saints fans.

Sydney Swans

Ladder Position - 3rd
Finals Run - Into the Grand Final
Seasons Best Players - Josh Kennedy, Kieran Jack, Ryan O'Keefe, Adam Goodes
One to watch next season - Daniel Hannebery
Summary - A much better year than may expected for the Swans and to be fair, they have always had the quality to do this. Their gameplan under Horse is incredibly well-suited to the SCG and, as proven on Friday, is easily adaptable to ANZ stadium.An excellant year could be capped off next Saturday afternoon with a win over the Hawks in the Grand Final. Much of their almost there's in Jack, Kennedy and even Hannebery to an extent have broken out into the premium, elite midfielder we knew they all would and all are suited to the stoppage gameplan of the Swans. A very bright future looms
Predicted finish in 2013 - 2nd. Quality side, Quality gameplan, Another quality finish.

West Coast Eagles

Ladder Position - 5th
Finals Run - Lost in Preliminary final
Seasons Best Players - Dean Cox, Beau Waters, Darren Glass, Daniel Kerr, Matt Priddis
One to watch next season - Nic Nat
Summary - After a shocking leap from last to 4th last season the Eagles fell back outside the top 4 to a still highly respectable 5th place. A slump mid-season which saw 3 losses in 4 matches saw the Eagles in danger of missing the 8 at one point in time. With a very young list of promising stars such as Luke Shuey, Andrew Gaff, Jack Darling and William Schofield the future is bright. LeCras and Nicoski's returns next season will be vital and it'll be extremely interesting to see how Woosha balances the forward line with Hill playing superbly for his position in the side.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 4th. Improvement but only marginal.

Western Bulldogs

Ladder Position - 15th
Finals Run - None
Seasons Best Players -Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross, Will Minson
One to watch next season - Tom Liberatore - a lot to prove.
Summary - Similar to the Saings in that they had a premiership window once. Now it seems as though that is gone for the time being as the number of class players in the 22-28 range is very minimal. They have some very nice youth in Wallis, Dahlhaus, Libba and Clay Smith and some good older player in Boyd, Cross and Minson but aside from this lot there isn't much. The Dogs were another side that really tested some good sides with their dogged (no pun intended) determination but were meek against the sides positioned around them.
Predicted finish in 2013 - 15th. Don't see them holding their place to the teams around them with no improvement.

The F.A.R.K.

elephants

Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on September 23, 2012, 05:32:03 PM
Congrats Bud

great review

Thanks man, this board doesn't count though. I am still on 9,999 hahah :(

The F.A.R.K.

Quote from: elephants on September 23, 2012, 05:35:19 PM
Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on September 23, 2012, 05:32:03 PM
Congrats Bud

great review

Thanks man, this board doesn't count though. I am still on 9,999 hahah :(

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay that flowering sucks

Windigo

Post in Players & Trades. I'm sure no one will bite your head off about it.  ;)

Usman

Very good review. Except there are a few double ups on the ladder predictions for next year.

kilbluff1985

Good write up m8 but Fletcher should be added to Essendons best imo

elephants

Quote from: Windigo on September 23, 2012, 06:35:42 PM
Post in Players & Trades. I'm sure no one will bite your head off about it.  ;)
This is probably my best ever FF post so I probably will move it hahah

Quote from: Usman on September 23, 2012, 06:39:00 PM
Very good review. Except there are a few double ups on the ladder predictions for next year.

Yeah I know, there were a few sides I couldnt split. I'll make those changes now though. Cheers mate :)

elephants

Torpedo10

elephants

Master Q

kilbluff1985

oh yeah and Dempster and Milne stiff not to make the saints best i mean they did make the AA Squad and Dempster held there defense together and 50+ goals for a small forward is a great effort

not having a go at you just making a suggestion

Justin Bieber

How many wins do you think GC will get?

Well you cannot tell, but they should get at least 6 IMO and that should be better than 17th...

All I know is that my 10k post will not be anywhere near this hha..