Main Menu

7 from 11

Started by ossie85, September 20, 2012, 08:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Whatever happens tomorrow night v Sydney or the week after that, would like to acknowledge Collingwood's great run.

In the last 11 years (from 2002 - 2012) the Magpies have finished top four 7 times (2002, 03, 07, 09, 10, 11 and 12), won a flag once (2010), runners-up 3 times (2002, 03, 11) and who knows how 2012 will end.

Yes, would like to have 1 or 2 more flags from that, but after suffering through most of the 90s with the team losing respect from its peers, I think everybody respects that record (crazy haters excluded).

So, what's everyone favourite moment from the last 11 years?

tbagrocks

2002 I first backed Black in the Brownlow and won a grand, then in the GF had Rocca had $100 at 14/1 for first goal ;D ;D

Ringo

Being a Lions supporter obviously the three Premierships from 2001, 2002 and 2003 but have had an up and down 11 year period.
Had the privilige to attend the MCG for 2002 GF and that experience sticks in my mind.  It was a bitterly cold day (for a Queenslander anyway) we were the strong favourites. Enjoyed the contest between Voss and Buckley who did all they could to try and drag their teams over the line. Buckley won the Norm Smith medal mainly because of his influence in third quarter. However Voss really shone in the final quarter allowing the Lions to get home by 9 points. (maybe the votes for the medal may have been different if voting was at finish of game but I agree with Buckley who was ahead by a little at 3/4 time).
Wind played havoc with kicking as both teams scored more behinds than goals . Thi was the start of our great rivalry with the Pies.
Amazing how this experience still sticks in mind even after 10 years probably because my first and only GF atttendance at the MCG with 91000 fans. What an atmosphere.

Obvioulsy like most disappointed with the Fevola recruiting debacle which imo set us back 3 years but pleased to now see a side strongly rebuilding who will challenge for top 8 next year. Future is bright with more than half our list currently 23 or under.

Know this is Pies thread but really look forward to the Pies playing in Brisbane as the atmosphere is really different with the crowd usually being split 50/50,

fidou

So Ossie what's your thoughts on Malthouse to Buckley then since Malthouse has had such a great run of coaching achievements. Allowing him to go to your arch rivals?

Should Carlton do the same when Judd retires?

ossie85

Should clarify - what are your favourite COLLINGWOOD moments of the last 11 years :/ lol

@fidou, who knows about the Malthouse-Buckley deal?

All I know is that under the Malthouse-Buckley deal we won a flag in 2010. Perhaps we would have lost 2010 if the deal didn't happen? Maybe we'd win the next 5 with Malthouse? Maybe we win this year with Buckley? Maybe Malthouse would have delivered 2 spoons in the next 5 years? Maybe Buckley would have?

It is all hypothetical. Fact is Malthouse-Buckley was the coaching arrangement for the 2010 flag.

ossie85

Also, you guys do what you like with Malthouse-Judd :)

Ricochet

it is a great run, you would have obviously loved a couple more premierships in there tho
1 from 4 appearances

Fletch74

1 flag from 7 top 4 finishes, not the best return.

However, in saying that, just shows how hard it is to win a flag...

ossie85

Quote from: Fletch74 on September 20, 2012, 11:03:20 AM

1 flag from 6, could be 2 from 7 yet!

Fletch74

Quote from: ossie85 on September 20, 2012, 11:16:18 AM

I'm confident of 1 from 7 :P

Are you confident of 2 from 6? ;)

ossie85

Quote from: Fletch74 on September 20, 2012, 12:24:12 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on September 20, 2012, 11:16:18 AM

I'm confident of 1 from 7 :P

Are you confident of 2 from 6? ;)

More confident than 14 other teams are at any rate

Ringo

Sorry Oss but just enjoy a bit of banter with Pies.  Seriously though that 2002 final seeing 2 great players going at 110% was something to behold. Buckley may get another one over Voss this year!!!!

ossie85

Quote from: Ringo on September 20, 2012, 01:57:17 PM
Sorry Oss but just enjoy a bit of banter with Pies.  Seriously though that 2002 final seeing 2 great players going at 110% was something to behold. Buckley may get another one over Voss this year!!!!

Yes, was brilliant! Particularly given Collingwood was really never meant to get that far, and the Lions were such a force. Pies played out of there skin (IT WAS A GOAL TO ROCCA lol). But the result sours it a bit...

Don't talk about 2003 though, eck.

Capper

Quote from: ossie85 on September 20, 2012, 08:55:44 AM
So, what's everyone favourite moment from the last 11 years?
'05 GF when the Swans got up

But Heath Shaw smoothering NRoo in the 2010 replay

Cruiseon

Thrashing reigning Premiers Geelong in the 2010 Prelim was the ultimate statement & an exciting night, but nothing will top two weeks later the hours of 9pm to 1am having walked from the G & spent the night in the Carringbush Hotel singing one particular song with a huge crowd all night. Good times.