Previous topic - Next topic

Jukes

Quote from: Mr.Craig on October 03, 2012, 08:58:48 PM
Jesse Lonergan

Birthday - 14/11/94
183cm/86kg
Club - Launceston
Fanplanner Price - $96,200

Jesse, an attacking midfielder, looks set to join his mate Jackson Thurlow in gaining a place on an AFL list next year. He's been playing senior footy since the age of 15 and has represented Tasmania at the last two Under 18 Championships. Unfortunately I don't have his disposal stats for this season down in Tassie but I can tell you he was named in the best for 4/11 games and from the three games he played at the 2012 Under 18 Champs he produced respectable scores of 76, 71 and 89. So far Lonergan has performed well at the AFL Draft Combine, matching Trent Croad's vertical leap record ( which Dean Towers went on to break ).

Kevin Sheehan says: “Tough medium midfielder who attacks the ball aggressively and is clean with his ball handling and distribution. Has explosive power and is very competitive, always showing great intensity around the contest and strong second efforts. Nephew of Essendon midfielder Sam Lonergan. Overcame injury to play the final three matches in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 16.3 disposals and laying 5.3 tackles per game. Another AIS-AFL Academy graduate. ”

AFL.Com -  Lonergan, the nephew of Essendon's Sam, is an impressive inside midfielder who is quick as well. He missed the first two games of the championships through injury, but kicked four goals and laid 16 tackles in three games. He's plays regular senior footy with Launceston and was part of their premiership side last year.

Media -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/143444/default.aspx

More on Lonergan; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uE13_XZY7fo#t=248s DT Talk's Roy interviews him.

KoopKicka

So Craigy, if I was going a 2-3-2-3 on rookies next year, and was on a very tight budget ( very few first rounders) who would I get? I currently have Colq, Ballard, Wines, Martin, Graham, Grundy, Daniher, Paparone, McDonough and Stringer lining up in my squad of 30 for next year, anyone else I should be considering? and for who?

Mr.Craig

Quote from: KoopKicka on October 17, 2012, 08:26:52 PM
So Craigy, if I was going a 2-3-2-3 on rookies next year, and was on a very tight budget ( very few first rounders) who would I get? I currently have Colq, Ballard, Wines, Martin, Graham, Grundy, Daniher, Paparone, McDonough and Stringer lining up in my squad of 30 for next year, anyone else I should be considering? and for who?

Interesting question. Obviously we won't know the true answer until Round 1 teams are announced by if I had to crystal ball it I'd say the following guys might be other cheap options...

Backs - Clay Cameron, Adam Carter, Tanner Smith, Tom Temay
Mids - Brad Crouch, Jaeger O'Meara, Jackson Macrae, Nathan Hrovat, Lachie Hunter, Dean Towers, Ben Kennedy
Rucks - Sam Rowe, Craig Moller, Liam McBean
Fwds - Tim Membrey, Myke Cook, Andrew Boston, Jake Neade, Tom Lee, Rory Atkins

Some of those guys won't play and if they do they'll spud it. A few might sneak through and make an impact though. Obviously Crouch and O'Meara should play a decent chunk of games.

Tominator

Toumpas is a must. Ben Kennedy will be pretty handy too and should get MID/FWD DPP status, Jaeger O'Meara and Brad Crouch will be cheap and very popular, but Im not sure on Paparone or Ballard though

And are you talking about Jack Martin? Cos he cannot play til 2014

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Tominator on October 18, 2012, 01:09:36 AM

Toumpas is a must. Ben Kennedy will be pretty handy too and should get MID/FWD DPP status, Jaeger O'Meara and Brad Crouch will be cheap and very popular, but Im not sure on Paparone or Ballard though

And are you talking about Jack Martin? Cos he cannot play til 2014

He means Kyle...

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,68169.msg911758.html#msg911758

Romper Toumpas should be interesting to watch, presuming he goes to GWS and is running around with the likes of Greene, Conigs, Treloar etc.

Cicjose

can you do a write up for Michael Close please?

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Cicjose on October 18, 2012, 02:18:13 PM
can you do a write up for Michael Close please?

No worries. I might get to it tonight, if not then tomorrow.

Mr.Craig

Michael Close

Birthday - 30/7/94
195cm/82kg
North Ballarat Rebels
Price/Position - $102,700 Fwd

Drafted Round 2 Pick 32 Brisbane Lions

Close has had an injury interrupted season which saw him play 11 TAC Cup games and only 2 in the Under 18 Championships. He's an athletic forward/backup ruck who averages a goal a game but doesn't get a heap of the ball so at this stage I can't see him becoming a legit cash cow and he will need to compete with fellow Lions draftee Marco Paparone for a spot. His TAC scores this year have been 11, 71, 60, 104, 52, 26, 98, 23, 42, 57 and 26 (Ave: 51.8).

Kevin Sheehan says: “Mobile and strong marking tall forward who missed three games in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships due to injury. Has elite endurance for his size (15 plus beep test) and excellent disposals by foot. He also has the ability to play as a backup ruckman.”

Media -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/149846/default.aspx
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/402436/six-st-pats-students-on-afl-draft-radar/
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/327534/afl-close-selected-for-combine/

YouTube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRx1xMlJg6I&list=UUbA1MgpsAtdbu0PXihIYATw&index=22&feature=plcp

Jukes

So Craig mate, after all this research, who would you say are your top 5 rookies by position (not including rucks)?

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Jukes on October 20, 2012, 01:38:04 PM
So Craig mate, after all this research, who would you say are your top 5 rookies by position (not including rucks)?

These could change significantly depending on who goes where and how they go in the NAB but right now I'd say the guys who have the potential to average the highest are -

Backs

1. Colquhoun
2. Ballard
3. Thurlow
4. Osborne
5. T.Smith

Mids

1. Wines
2. Toumpas
3. O'Meara
4. Whitfield
5. Kennedy

Fwds

1. Mayes
2. Stringer
3. Cook
4. McDonough
5. Boston

There's a bucket load of other guys who could quite easily be top 5 in the mids when the dust settles - K.Martin, Hrovat, Viney, Crouch, Graham, Macrae, Menzel, Hunter, Garlett etc. etc. etc. Also Membrey, Lee and Garner are chances in the forwards. Not sure about the backs, I need to look at them in more depth.

I'm still doing research on the lesser known players in an attempt to unearth some nuggets. Hopefully it will turn up something.

Jukes

aces-high

Love reading your write ups mate great stuff!
Could you please do a few these stingrays boys, im not 100% sure if they've been mentioned?
-Jason pongracic
-Nathan Wright
-Jake Calvert
And a real smokie and left of centre one Tim Mcgenniss their best and fairest winner. What are his chances of getting drafted?

Cheers  ;D

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Jukes on October 20, 2012, 04:05:07 PM
Hmm...don't rate Docherty?

I was mainly focusing on the potential draftees with the exception of Couch/O'Meara but yes, Docherty should be top 5. ;)

Quote from: aces-high on October 20, 2012, 04:40:43 PM
Could you please do a few these stingrays boys, im not 100% sure if they've been mentioned?
-Jason pongracic
-Nathan Wright
-Jake Calvert
And a real smokie and left of centre one Tim Mcgenniss their best and fairest winner. What are his chances of getting drafted?

Cheers  ;D

I've done a bit of research about Wright and Pongy but haven't done a profile on them yet. McGenniss sounds interesting, good numbers this year but I can't remember him being mentioned re the draft. I'll put something together in the coming days.

Torpedo10

Quote from: Mr.Craig on October 20, 2012, 05:37:04 PM
Quote from: Jukes on October 20, 2012, 04:05:07 PM
Hmm...don't rate Docherty?

I was mainly focusing on the potential draftees with the exception of Couch/O'Meara but yes, Docherty should be top 5. ;)

Quote from: aces-high on October 20, 2012, 04:40:43 PM
-Jason pongracic
-Nathan Wright
-Jake Calvert

Cheers  ;D

I've done a bit of research about Wright and Pongy but haven't done a profile on them yet. McGenniss sounds interesting, good numbers this year but I can't remember him being mentioned re the draft. I'll put something together in the coming days.
Docherty? Wasn't he last year.  :P

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Torpedo10 on October 20, 2012, 07:02:55 PM
Docherty? Wasn't he last year.  :P

Hasn't played a game yet so he gets another go around. :P