Mr.Craig's Rookie Spotlight

Started by Mr.Craig, September 15, 2012, 05:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

http://www.sportingjournal.com.au/2013/03/fantastic-four-the-afl-rookies-to-look-out-for-in-2013/

Nick Vlastuin â€" Richmond

Tigers Last year’s number nine draft pick has shown plenty to suggest that he could walk straight into the Tiger’s best 22 and have an immediate impact this season. Vlastuin was among Richmond’s best players in two of their NAB Cup games, and looks right at home at the top level. Against North Melbourne in week one he showed supporters just why Damien Hardwick and the recruiting staff selected him, putting his head over the ball and displaying fast decision making in close, evasive skills and a lovely right boot to top it all off.

Vlastuin has gathered 30 disposals, in his three appearances for the tigers so far, suggesting he is capable of finding the footy. Though the Tigers already boast a strong midfield with the likes of Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin, and Brett Deledio, expect to see this hardnosed red head feature prominently in season 2013.

Sam Colquhoun â€" Port

After the disappointment of being overlooked in last year’s NAB AFL Draft, Colquhoun has taken the Pre-Season Draft lifeline given to him by the Power with both hands. Reports from the club suggested that Colquhoun had impressed over the duration of the pre season, and that is not hard to believe, considering his form over the first two rounds of the NAB Cup. Having played two out of a possible three games so far, Colquhoun was particularly impressive in last Sunday’s two point loss to Melbourne. With his strong running through the midfield and off half back, he picked up 19 disposals, six marks, three tackles and a goal for the day to finish as one of the Power’s best. Considering Port Adelaide’s lowly 2012 ladder position, expect to see Colquhoun in a Power jumper for most of the 2013 season.

Oliver Wines â€" Port

Wines had been touted by many as a top four pick in last year’s draft, but ended up sliding to the Power at pick seven. So far, Wines has shown he would have definitely made a worthy top four selection. Like Colquhoun, the coaching staff at Port Adelaide has had nothing but praise for Wines since he joined the club. Although he was relatively quiet in the opening NAB Cup games, it was against Melbourne in round two where Wines really showed what he was capable of, putting on a solid display with 21 disposals. Wines should play most games for the Power in 2013 if he can keep his form up.

Brad Crouch â€" Adelaide Crows

The second pick in the 2011 mini draft behind the highly rated Jaeger O’Meara, you can expect to hear the name Brad Crouch a lot in 2013. The inside midfielder has had Adelaide fans drooling in anticipation for his debut since being picked up by the Crowd. Having spent 2012 in the Crows system while playing against men in the SANFL, Crouch should now have the capabilities to step straight into Adelaide’s line-up. Although Adelaide already boast a star midfield that includes Scott Thompson, Patrick Dangerfield and Rory Sloane, Crouch should still fit into the side, be it playing half forward or in the centre of the ground. Having been somewhat quiet over the three actual games of the NAB Cup, it was Crouch’s performance in Adelaide’s trial game against Fremantle two weeks ago that showed the hype surrounding him is justified. In a best on ground performance in 37 degree heat, Crouch had 18 disposals, five marks, and two inside 50’s. It wouldn’t surprise to see Crouch rested occasionally throughout the season, but footy fans can expect him to play the majority of games this season, as well as go close to winning the 2013 AFL Rising Star Award.

tbagrocks

I Vlastuin is going to be named I might have to squeeze him in, Wines and Crouch are monty's

Ricochet

Could you have a look into Tom Curren from Saints pls MC.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Ricochet on March 14, 2013, 02:44:47 PM

I've thought about him previously, bit of a ball magnet. I'll put something together for you.

Ricochet

Quote from: Mr.Craig on March 14, 2013, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on March 14, 2013, 02:44:47 PM

I've thought about him previously, bit of a ball magnet. I'll put something together for you.
Cheers man

Artax

Still debating whether to run with Wines or Lonergan

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Artax on March 15, 2013, 04:38:26 PM
Still debating whether to run with Wines or Lonergan

In every category you can think off Wines was ahead of Lonergan last year (admittedly Jesse was playing seniors) and the same has happened in the pre season. Wines has played more minutes and scored more points, I have little doubt that will continue in the season proper. As for JS, if anything I would have said Lonergan is slightly more risky in that aspect.

I'm leaning towards picking Lonergan ahead of Viney at the moment but Wines has been uber-locked in my team ever since he got drafted.

Artax

Great call, have replaced Longerman/Mitchell with Wines/Pittard (moved Vlastuin from back to fwd)

Mr.Craig

Can I just say - Jackson Macrae has played every pre season match, I'm not sure how he went today but before this weekend he was the sixth highest DT scorer for the Bulldogs (taking out Stringer). Averaged 95 in the TAC and 89 in the Under 18 Champs. He'll cost you but could be one of the real surprise packets this year.

Toga

Wow I haven't even considered him Craigy! :o

I reckon just seeing him on draft night as that skinny kid just made me instinctively think he wouldn't be featuring much this year! Definitely worth a look though, might be worth considering him over Whitfield if I end up sticking with him!

Toga

Also I just read on SC Paige that Jesse Lonergan is in doubt for Round 1 after sustaining a wrist injury in GC's trial match today :-X

Might put a ding in a few people's plans! :(

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Toga on March 16, 2013, 09:14:31 PM
Also I just read on SC Paige that Jesse Lonergan is in doubt for Round 1 after sustaining a wrist injury in GC's trial match today :-X

Might put a ding in a few people's plans! :(

Yep, bunged his wrist up. On the plus side Matt Jones had a ripper of a game.

GM

Hey MC,
We are really struggling this year with fwd rooks.
With Rd 1 looming Macaffer & Neade i see as the only ones looking like rd1 ins.
Tom Lee has shown glimpes but i am not sure on his real chances for rd1.
Sam Kerridge & Sam Dwyer are thereabouts.
Your thoughts thanks.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: greenmoon on March 17, 2013, 12:59:41 PM
Hey MC,
Your thoughts thanks.

Not sure about Lee, it depends on how St Kilda want to structure up and if they are going to play Stanley and/or Kosi. Beau Maister has done well so that's probably hurt Lee's chances aswell. I see him as being doubtful right now.

Macaffer...I worry about him too. I think he had 30 points in the first quarter against Geelong but ended up on 60 for the match. :-\ I think what could work in his favour though is that Krak, Didak and Fasolo have been awol and Elliot/Sinclair haven't set the world on fire so I'm hopeful Caff will be in the Round 1 squad. He will certainly need to deliver to hold his spot.

Kennedy was electric in his only pre season game, even if he isn't named first up I'm hopeful he could make some money for us at some point.

Neade - if he can hold it together I'd imagine he'll play the majority of games. I'm expecting more than a few scores in the 40's and a vest or two but it's hard not to pick him at this point.

I'm pretty hopeful Dwyer will get upgrade this week. He should be able to push out a high 60's average if he gets the chance but might need Ben Johnson or Clint Young to get injured or have a form drop to really shore up his JS.

As for the possible starters that's about it. Kerridge I don't think will play more than half a dozen games tops, Jaksch I guess might get picked but I wouldn't take him. Rowe is probably only worthwhile if you are using his DPP in some way.

Only the plus side there is a heap of potential downgrade options awaiting us. Mayes, Stringer, Daniher and Menzel will come at a cost but they have all shown the ability to ton up at junior level and hopefully they can kick a few goals.

Out of Garner, Simpson, Michie, Growden, Lamb, Paparone, Murdoch, McDonough, Wood, Sumner, Colledge and Atkins I'm sure a few  will get a run at some stage.

GM

Quote from: Mr.Craig on March 17, 2013, 02:55:32 PM
Quote from: greenmoon on March 17, 2013, 12:59:41 PM
Hey MC,
Your thoughts thanks.

Not sure about Lee, it depends on how St Kilda want to structure up and if they are going to play Stanley and/or Kosi. Beau Maister has done well so that's probably hurt Lee's chances aswell. I see him as being doubtful right now.

Macaffer...I worry about him too. I think he had 30 points in the first quarter against Geelong but ended up on 60 for the match. :-\ I think what could work in his favour though is that Krak, Didak and Fasolo have been awol and Elliot/Sinclair haven't set the world on fire so I'm hopeful Caff will be in the Round 1 squad. He will certainly need to deliver to hold his spot.

Kennedy was electric in his only pre season game, even if he isn't named first up I'm hopeful he could make some money for us at some point.

Neade - if he can hold it together I'd imagine he'll play the majority of games. I'm expecting more than a few scores in the 40's and a vest or two but it's hard not to pick him at this point.

I'm pretty hopeful Dwyer will get upgrade this week. He should be able to push out a high 60's average if he gets the chance but might need Ben Johnson or Clint Young to get injured or have a form drop to really shore up his JS.

As for the possible starters that's about it. Kerridge I don't think will play more than half a dozen games tops, Jaksch I guess might get picked but I wouldn't take him. Rowe is probably only worthwhile if you are using his DPP in some way.

Only the plus side there is a heap of potential downgrade options awaiting us. Mayes, Stringer, Daniher and Menzel will come at a cost but they have all shown the ability to ton up at junior level and hopefully they can kick a few goals.

Out of Garner, Simpson, Michie, Growden, Lamb, Paparone, Murdoch, McDonough, Wood, Sumner, Colledge and Atkins I'm sure a few  will get a run at some stage.
Thanks MC summed it up well.I might have to start Macaffer at F6 like most imo. To start at F7 just damages other lines too much.The other gamble is to start 2 Def prems only with all the avialable rooks down back.
Most seem capable of matching or + Macaffers output.Too much of a risk, hmm decisions,decisions.
So the way its looking RD1 options, 7 possible def rook options,6-7 mid, & 2 maybe 3 if lucky in front imo.