Mr.Craig's Rookie Spotlight

Started by Mr.Craig, September 15, 2012, 05:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-12/grundy-battling-back-injury

Assistant coach Matthew Lappin said he expected one or maybe two of the club's top draftees Ben Kennedy (pick No. 19) and Tim Broomhead (No.20) to play on Friday night.

But he was less confident about Grundy's status.

"Kennedy and Broomhead have done most of the pre-season, but Brodie Grundy's been a little bit limited with a back injury," Lappin told AFL.com.au.

Collingwood swooped on Grundy - regarded as the premier under-18 ruckman in Australia - with pick No. 18 in last year's NAB AFL Draft.

The Pies have carefully monitored the 18-year-old during his first senior pre-season, with senior coach Nathan Buckley saying Grundy needed to add size to his frame before he was available for selection.

"Brodie's on a modified program and he still needs to get his core strength up," Buckley said.

"He still needs to prove his fitness to be up and running in the next month or so.

"We've got individualised programs, and he needs a bit of work in the gym before we see him out on the footy field."

Mr.Craig

Mr.Craig

Friday Night NAB Cup

"The Magpies will open their 2013 campaign against Essendon and the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium, but will do so without any of their four selections at last year's national draft."

"The Pies will also unveil 26-year-old rookie Sam Dwyer, a speedy forward/midfielder who has been a key player under Gary Ayres at Port Melbourne in the VFL."

"Essendon have named former Saints star Brendon Goddard, who crossed to the Bombers as a free agent last October, along with four of their six 2012 draftees â€" Jason Ashby (No. 34), Dylan van Unen (No. 51), Martin Gleeson (No. 53) and Nick Kommer (No. 73). Prized father-son recruit Joe Daniher will have to wait to make his Bombers' debut, while captain Jobe Watson will also miss as he recovers from a minor knee injury."

"The debutants include former Port Adelaide and Fremantle defender Nick Lower, ex-Magpie Tom Young, and state-league veteran Brett Goodes, who turns 29 on Sunday and is the brother of Sydney Swans co-captain Adam Goodes.

The No.6 pick in last year's national draft, left-footed midfielder Jackson Macrae, will also play his first game in Bulldogs colours, along with rookie-listed key forward Jack Redpath, 22."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-13/friday-night-nab-cup

Mr.Craig

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-15/bluey-hints-at-lonergan-debut

A WORK ethic likened to Gold Coast's elite talent has helped propel rookie Jesse Lonergan into the frame for a round one debut.

The 18-year-old from Tasmania was taken by the Suns with the 13th pick of last year's National Draft, and has not put a foot wrong since. And it's not just his 91kg man-sized body that has Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna excited. After three seasons of senior footy with Launceston in the TFL, Lonergan is used to working hard to mix it up with the big boys.

"He's already mastered the art of training with intensity," McKenna said.

"He's naturally bigger and not used to the load, but he doesn't leave any stone unturned. You know you’re going to get as hard a trainer as you possibly can.

"I think he looks up to David Swallow, Dion Prestia, Jaeger O'Meara too. I think he looks at how those boys work. Jesse has a natural appetite for that but has seen those guys who are not much older and thought 'I want to train like that'."

Lonergan has been thrown into game simulations during the pre-season, going head-to-head with Swallow, O'Meara and Karmichael Hunt in the midfield. He was a standout in the Suns' intra-club match and is all-but certain to play their NAB Cup openers against Hawthorn and the Brisbane Lions at Metricon Stadium on February 23.

Gold Coast physical performance boss Stephen Schwerdt is also impressed.

"He's a good example of a player who has combined his given talent with some serious training," Schwerdt said.

"They (players with ready-made bodies) can fit in a lot easier into the AFL system. You do monitor what they do and make concessions, but he's pretty advanced for a first-year player."

McKenna has hinted Lonergan is a chance of lining up against St Kilda on March 30 when premiership matches begin.

"We've got to get through a NAB Cup but he's doing everything possible to be a chance," McKenna said.

"There's no hard and fast rules. Clearly Jesse, I would think, from what I've seen so far, will play senior footy for sure.

"Whether that's round one of the NAB Cup or round one of the season, he's certainly putting every foot forward to play senior footy. How much he can cope with, that's the great unknown."

Mr.Craig

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-17/neeld-to-nurture-young-dees

MELBOURNE coach Mark Neeld has hosed down expectations that exciting draftees Jimmy Toumpas and Jack Viney will be full-time regular senior players in 2013.

The pair both impressed in patches during Friday's modified intra-club practice match at Casey Fields, but Neeld is mindful that they be nursed through their first seasons in the AFL.

Toumpas ran through the midfield, recovering nicely after a knock to the leg kept him off for the entire second term. Viney was busy and creative at clearances and in his instance, the 12 months he has already spent at the club was clearly evident.

They may get a run in the NAB Cup openers against Richmond and North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium on Friday night. They may also be in the side for the season opener against Port Adelaide at the MCG on 31 March. Just don't pencil them in for 22 games this year.

"There's no external pressure," Neeld said. "We'll let them come in, adapt to being AFL players and see how they go.

"Our plan is not to play those boys every game, be it NAB Cup games or the home and away season. We get lots of information and among that the workload increases every week and every season. It's hard for an 18-year-old to come in and make an impact on every game.

"We want them to be long term players for the football club, so we don't want to kill them early," he said.

Toumpas was the fourth selection overall at last year's NAB AFL National Draft, while Viney was a father-son selection last year, having spent the year training with the club and playing for the Casey Scorpions.

Memphistopheles

Hey mate,

He's not exactly a rookie but as he is rookie priced and has just moved clubs would you consider doing an article on Lewis Stevenson?

Thinking he could be a lock for a defensive rookie.

Mr.Craig

I couldn't be bothered doing a full blown profile but he averaged 72.1 and 65.3 in his last two years at WAFL level. Was highly regarded over in the west and given that Port have lost 415 games of experience from their backline I view Stevenson as very much part of the best 22.

Here's a good article about him from December...

HIS kicking has been compared to Brisbane Brownlow Medallist Jason Akermanis.

His size, athleticism and playmaking ability have drawn comparisons with Hawthorn premiership defender Grant Birchall.

Now new Port Adelaide defender Lewis Stevenson has vowed to finally deliver on his undoubted promise.

Speaking for the first time since being traded to the Power from West Coast in October, Stevenson said he is ready to be the playmaking architect of a new-look Port defence, which has lost 415 games in experience while bringing in just 21.

Mainstays Troy Chaplin, Danyle Pearce and Jacob Surjan are out. Stevenson, Campbell Heath, Jack Hombsch and rookie Tom Clurey are in.

"I just can't wait for the opportunity to prove myself," said the 23-year-old Stevenson, who played just 10 games in five years with the Eagles and none in the past two years.

"I felt I deserved to play with West Coast this year but its backline was so solid and settled with Shannon Hurn, Beau Waters, Adam Selwood, Darren Glass and Sam Butler that I just couldn't get in.

"So when Port offered me an opportunity to play I jumped at it. I'm really grateful that Port first looked at me and then showed confidence in trading for me and now I'm looking forward to showing what I can do.

"You don't often get a second chance to prove yourself and I've been given one. I want to repay Port for that."

The WA forward-turned-defender - physically gifted at 189cm and 88 kg - played all 10 of his AFL games in 2010 but has starred for WAFL club Claremont in the past two years, playing in consecutive flags.

Former Eagles assistant coach Peter Sumich, who is now at Fremantle, has compared Stevenson's elite kicking to Akermanis's.

"His kick and his skill level is his biggest asset," said Sumich. "He's got the skills of Jason Akermanis, I reckon, left and right foot."

The Power - one of the worst kicking teams in the AFL in the past two years - monitored Stevenson's performances in the second half of the season and made its move in the trade period.

He was a part of a three-club trade which saw Port get Stevenson, Melbourne get David Rodan and draft picks exchanged.

"The Power's told me it has been looking for a bit of a ball user down back, so I'm here to play that role," said Stevenson.

"Kicking is one of my strengths, so while my defensive duties will come first I'll then be charged with getting hold of the ball and using it well out of the backline.

"I've had a chat with Ken (new coach Ken Hinkley) and they're looking to use me at half-back, so I'll be doing everything possible over pre-season to put myself up for selection."

The Power's told me it has been looking for a bit of a ball user down back, so I'm here to play that role
Stevenson, who only joined in full pre-season training yesterday after recovering from end-of-season hernia surgery, is the obvious playmaking replacement for Pearce, who joined Fremantle as a free agent.

Stevenson said he now felt comfortable in the back half after spending the past two years learning the art following the Eagles' decision to turn him into a defensive playmaker.

"The position doesn't come naturally to me, so I've spent a lot of time on my defensive skills, my bodywork and my positioning," he said.

"I feel I'm ready to show Port that now."

Power football manager Peter Rohde said Stevenson "comes very highly recommended by football people in Western Australia".

His WAFL coach Marc Webb described Port's trade as "great".

"Lewie was in our best six-to-eight players all year in his defensive work and ability to run off and his skills are excellent," Webb said.

"But he just couldn't get that (AFL) opportunity because West Coast had a glut of those players.

"He will be a great trade for Port because he's a ready-made player, personality-wise he's a great guy, very coachable, he works his heart out and he can play on mid-range and small players."

With so many list changes, Stevenson noted the Power's backline would be "re-shuffled" next year and built around key defenders Jackson Trengove and Alipate Carlile.

"They'll be the leaders and we'll play our roles around them," he said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/time-for-power-defender-lewis-stevenson-to-deliver-on-promise/story-e6freck3-1226532432536

Memphistopheles

Legend, looks like he could be a great pick up then. He showed more than Heath tonight so should get games.

Mr.Craig

Adjusted rookie scores from the first week of NAB games...

Essendon

Nick Kommer - 132, 18
Martin Gleeson - 45

Western Bulldogs

Brett Goodes - 96, 93
Jack Macrae - 48

Collingwood

Kyle Martin - 108
Sam Dwyer - 54, 27

West Coast

Mark Hutchings - 105, 12
Callum Sinclair - 99, 9
Adam Carter - 18, 30

Geelong

Jackson Thurlow - 27

Fremantle

Jack Hannath - 30

Adelaide

Brad Crouch - 51, 75
Kyle Hartigan - 24, 24

St Kilda

Tom Lee - -12, 84
Nathan Wright - -12, 60

Port Adelaide

Jake Neade - 105
Oliver Wines - 81, 18
Sam Colquhoun - 57
Kane Mitchell - 48, 102
Tom Clurey - 54
Justin Hoskin - 48

Obviously some common sense is required when analyzing these numbers but they provide a general guide as to who performed well.

Mr.Craig

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-20/nab-cup-teams

MELBOURNE is set to unveil prized father-son selection Jack Viney in Friday night's NAB Cup clashes against Richmond and North Melbourne, as well as 17-year-old recruit Jesse Hogan.

Viney, who was seen as a bargain selection at pick No.26 in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft, has been included in the Demons' line-up alongside No.4 pick Jimmy Toumpas.

Hogan is not eligible to play at AFL level until 2014, but the Demons have been given permission to expose the young key forward during the pre-season competition. 

Draftees Dean Kent, Matt Jones and Dean Terlich have all been named in Melbourne's 34-man squad for the two shortened matches at Etihad Stadium.

Mr.Craig

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-22/tanner-smith-position

FREMANTLE draftee Tanner Smith could be trialled at both ends of the ground in Saturday's scratch match against Adelaide, with the club open to using the young key defender in attack.

Smith will be unveiled by Fremantle in a low-key trial match at AAMI Stadium on Saturday morning, with gun midfielders Nat Fyfe and David Mundy also launching their pre-seasons.

The 18-year-old was recruited as a key defender with pick No.36 in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft, and his long reach and closing speed are assets in the back half.

However, since arriving at Fremantle he has immediately stamped himself as one of the club's leading endurance runners and there is excitement about his ability to play as a forward. 

"I think in the TAC Cup he kicked four or five goals up forward in a couple of games, so I think he can play both ends," forward line coach Peter Sumich said on Friday morning as Fremantle flew out of Perth.

"We'll just wait and see with him.

"If he performs well (on Saturday) he might get another opportunity the following week (against Carlton at Etihad Stadium)."

Mr.Craig

Essendon VFL Practice Match -

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-03-03/bombers-impress-in-vfl

Ariel Steinberg and Travis Colyer were impressive throughout the hit out as was first round draft selection Joe Daniher.

Daniher only took part in the first half of the game as his workload is built up in the lead up to the home and away season, he managed to boot three goals.

The teams next practice match will be next Saturday at midday against Collingwood at Victoria Park.

Toga

Hey Craigy, do you know of any Def/Fwd rookies that are any chance to feature regularly this year?

I've got Broughts in the fwd line at D5, with only three premium defenders, so thought it might be worth trying to get a DPP in my backline to utilise Broughts' DPP, but not sure who to go with!

Cheers :)

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Toga on March 05, 2013, 11:32:46 AM
Hey Craigy, do you know of any Def/Fwd rookies that are any chance to feature regularly this year?

I've got Broughts in the fwd line at D5, with only three premium defenders, so thought it might be worth trying to get a DPP in my backline to utilise Broughts' DPP, but not sure who to go with!

Cheers :)

Jaksch is one of the more likely of the DEF/FWD rookies to get meaningful game time. However, he is yet to be sighted in the pre-season and is a KPP so you won't get many decent scores out of him.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,68079.msg902648.html#msg902648

I'm a fan of Brant Colledge but he's taken a while to overcome hip problems and has stiff competition to break into the Eagles side. Might be a rough chance to see some action.

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,68079.msg952604.html#msg952604

Aside from them there's Tunbridge, Steinberg, Tom Curran, Cameron and the 89k guys. I don't rate any a legit chance of playing this year. You are probably better off waiting and hoping that Staker comes back at some point early on.