Mr.Craig's Rookie Spotlight

Started by Mr.Craig, September 15, 2012, 05:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Me too. :)

Great work as always Craigy!

Mr.Craig

Mr.Craig

Crouch was impressive once again after a slow start. Looking more and more like a lock for Round 1.

Mr.Craig

Rookie scorers for NAB Round 3 -

Jaeger O'Meara - 89
Ben Kennedy - 73
Jed Anderson - 69
Brad Crouch - 66
Kyle Martin - 63
Lachie Plowman - 63
Jackson Macrae - 57
Dean Terlich - 56
Tom Lee - 54
Oliver Wines - 53
Matt Jones - 49
Dane Rampe - 48
Brodie Murdoch - 47
Sam Dwyer - 44
Aidan Corr - 43
Jesse Lonergan - 42
Jackson Thurlow - 41
Jimmy Toumpas - 38
Jake Neade - 35
Kane Mitchell - 31
Sam Colquhoun - 26

Some big name rookies were missing from Round 3 including the likes of Whitfield, Goodes, Viney, Kent, Vlastuin and Paparone. This gave some other boys a chance to catch our attention.

After a couple of reasonable games O'Meara exploded against Sydney and showed us exactly what he's capable of. Kennedy was one of the surprise packets of the weekend putting together a 19 disposal, 1 goal performance that certainly indicated he'll play some games this year and could even be a shock Round 1 selection. Anderson has played every game for the Hawks this pre season and again showed class with a score of 69. The questions still remain about his JS and vest risk but with Suckling's injury the door has been further opened.

Speaking of class, Brad Crouch continues to impress and everything points to him being a major contributor for the Crows this year. Wines and Terlich did enough to show they were still worthwhile picks. Mitchell, Neade and Colquhoun proved to be the disappointments of the weekend, but it is just a bump in the road for an otherwise impressive pre season by the trio.

I'm sure coaches everywhere are calling for the real Tom Lee to stand up after a flat Round 1 score of 24 was followed by a solid 54 which would have been so much better if he hadn't kicked a woeful 0.4. He's getting his hands on it though and that's the most positive sign.

Lonergan and Jones once again suggested they will be consistent scorers but are behind a number of other midfield options in my opinion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - If Kyle Martin is named Round 1 you should seriously consider him. He is one of the highest points per minute scorers for Collingwood and I have no doubt that would translate to the season proper if he's given an opportunity. He is the closest thing we have to a 2013 Sam Gibson.

Toga

Another fantastic write-up Craigy, good work :)

I would be oh so happy if Benny Kennedy broke into the Pies lineup for Round 1, looked at home last night and would make the fwd problems a lot easier!

tbagrocks

Benny Kennedy was no suprise to me ;)

Toga

Quote from: tbagrocks on March 10, 2013, 08:36:16 PM

He's a gun but I didn't expect him to break into the team early in the season! :o

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Toga on March 10, 2013, 09:11:05 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on March 10, 2013, 08:36:16 PM

He's a gun but I didn't expect him to break into the team early in the season! :o

It will be tough for him but Fasolo and Didak have been unsighted and Krak didn't do a lot in his only outing so stranger things have happened. He'd need to impress to hold his spot for any length of time though.

GM

Quote from: Mr.Craig on March 10, 2013, 02:52:53 PM
Rookie scorers for NAB Round 3 -

Jaeger O'Meara - 89
Ben Kennedy - 73
Jed Anderson - 69
Brad Crouch - 66
Kyle Martin - 63
Lachie Plowman - 63
Jackson Macrae - 57
Dean Terlich - 56
Tom Lee - 54
Oliver Wines - 53
Matt Jones - 49
Dane Rampe - 48
Brodie Murdoch - 47
Sam Dwyer - 44
Aidan Corr - 43
Jesse Lonergan - 42
Jackson Thurlow - 41
Jimmy Toumpas - 38
Jake Neade - 35
Kane Mitchell - 31
Sam Colquhoun - 26

Some big name rookies were missing from Round 3 including the likes of Whitfield, Goodes, Viney, Kent, Vlastuin and Paparone. This gave some other boys a chance to catch our attention.

After a couple of reasonable games O'Meara exploded against Sydney and showed us exactly what he's capable of. Kennedy was one of the surprise packets of the weekend putting together a 19 disposal, 1 goal performance that certainly indicated he'll play some games this year and could even be a shock Round 1 selection. Anderson has played every game for the Hawks this pre season and again showed class with a score of 69. The questions still remain about his JS and vest risk but with Suckling's injury the door has been further opened.

Speaking of class, Brad Crouch continues to impress and everything points to him being a major contributor for the Crows this year. Wines and Terlich did enough to show they were still worthwhile picks. Mitchell, Neade and Colquhoun proved to be the disappointments of the weekend, but it is just a bump in the road for an otherwise impressive pre season by the trio.

I'm sure coaches everywhere are calling for the real Tom Lee to stand up after a flat Round 1 score of 24 was followed by a solid 54 which would have been so much better if he hadn't kicked a woeful 0.4. He's getting his hands on it though and that's the most positive sign.

Lonergan and Jones once again suggested they will be consistent scorers but are behind a number of other midfield options in my opinion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - If Kyle Martin is named Round 1 you should seriously consider him. He is one of the highest points per minute scorers for Collingwood and I have no doubt that would translate to the season proper if he's given an opportunity. He is the closest thing we have to a 2013 Sam Gibson.
Is Kyle Martin a rookie?

Mr.Craig

Quote from: greenmoon on March 10, 2013, 09:51:53 PM
Is Kyle Martin a rookie?

He is yes but Collingwood left a spot open on their list to upgrade a rookie prior to Round 1. Strangely there was an article on their website discussing this and it was focused entirely on Dwyer and Frost fighting for that spot. I can sort of understand that given the Pies need to firm up their backs and forwards but Kyle has done everything right so far.

GM

Quote from: Mr.Craig on March 10, 2013, 10:01:04 PM
Quote from: greenmoon on March 10, 2013, 09:51:53 PM
Is Kyle Martin a rookie?

He is yes but Collingwood left a spot open on their list to upgrade a rookie prior to Round 1. Strangely there was an article on their website discussing this and it was focused entirely on Dwyer and Frost fighting for that spot. I can sort of understand that given the Pies need to firm up their backs and forwards but Kyle has done everything right so far.
Thanks MC,if he does get elevated makes mid rooks tough picking.

nostradamus

Josh Thomas is very highly thought of at Collingwood too

c-hawk

Do you think if Kyle Martin breaks in he would wear the vest? Who else do they choose from for it?

Mr.Craig

Quote from: c-hawk on March 11, 2013, 07:52:34 PM
Do you think if Kyle Martin breaks in he would wear the vest? Who else do they choose from for it?

Seedsman, Ugle, Mooney, Sinclair and Didak copped most of the green vests last year. Hard to say how they would treat Martin if he was elevated. My gut feeling is they will go with backs and forwards more often than not but Martin might get a couple if he plays.

Mr.Craig

No serious info here but I thought I'd post it up anyway.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/as-the-2013-afl-season-looms-we-look-at-10-rookies-who-give-so-many-footy-fans-hope-for-the-future/story-e6frfkp9-1226595319443

We continue our big 10 series with the AFL's new faces. These kids haven't stepped out in their first senior game just yet but we've seen enough to suggest they'll make it.

1. Oliver Wines

He has been one of Port Adelaide's best players in the pre-season so far and it's hard to see him not playing regularly in his first year in the big time. Wines is a bullocking midfielder who does his best work around the clearances. He slid a little in the draft and the Power pounced.

2. Nick Vlastuin

He'll be in the 22 for Richmond in round one. Last year's Vic Metro captain and No.9 draft pick is a cool head in a crisis even though he should be causing more trouble than he's defusing at 18. Thrives when the game gets physical.

3. Jaeger O'Meara

He hasn't played a senior game but Gary Ablett has already tipped this kid to be Gold Coast's next captain. That is a serious rap. O'Meara spent a year preparing for AFL action with the Suns and will be set loose in round one.

4. Jack Viney

Born to play for the Dees, Melbourne got one of the steals of the draft with Viney as a father-son selection at No.27. Viney would have been snapped up in the top 10 had it not been for his old man's stellar career in red and blue. Viney Jr burrowed in against North Melbourne in Melbourne's opening NAB Cup game and will do so again come round one.

5. Lachie Whitfield

It's been a relatively hype-free passage into the big time for Whitfield. The No.1 pick at the draft is just another kid with plenty of potential now at GWS. That talent was on show in his first NAB Cup outing with 17 disposals and four tackles against Brisbane.

6. Brad Crouch

He's almost the forgotten 17-year-old of the first AFL mini-draft from a little over 12 months ago. Crouch was taken by Adelaide in the same process which netted the Suns O'Meara. He's a different player, but likely to be as important. The beauty of the Crows youngster is he rarely forces anything. He makes good choices with the footy in his hands and will shore up the Adelaide defence before graduating into the midfield.

7. Nathan Wright

The Saints took Wright a little earlier than a few expected but it's becoming clear why. His disposal will improve as he settles but Wright is finding the footy and has real speed. Wright had 17 touches against reigning premiers Sydney in a NAB Cup win for the Saints.

8. Jake Stringer

There's something about the knockabout kid from the bush. We didn't see him do a lot - apart from kicking the goal of the NAB Cup - before injury struck in his first start. The Bulldogs have got a player.

9. Jimmy Toumpas

No.4 pick Toumpas kicked a polished goal against Richmond in the NAB Cup opener and gives the blue-collar Melbourne midfield a touch of class already. He'll be at his best when the Demons develop and he's able to work on the outside.

10. Joe Daniher

Daniher would have gone top of the draft class had he not been able to join the Bombers under the father-son rule. The early signs for the towering forward and the Bombers have been good. In an eye-opening performance in an intra-club clash the 201cm son of Anthony Daniher shone in attack. He will take time, of course, but could be anything.