Re: 2013 Player Profile: Jack Darling

Started by Cicjose, September 13, 2012, 08:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Quote from: Hagebear on September 23, 2012, 02:41:48 PM
He's a good player but will NEVER average 100. Might get close in SC but still doubtful.
never?? really?

Adamant

Quote from: Ricochet on September 23, 2012, 09:36:49 PM
He's a good player but will NEVER average 100. Might get close in SC but still doubtful.
never?? really?
I agree, not many key forwards have averaged 100+ before....reckon 85-95 is his limit.

Ricochet

Quote from: Adamant on September 23, 2012, 09:47:29 PM
never?? really?
I agree, not many key forwards have averaged 100+ before....reckon 85-95 is his limit.
Pavlich, Buddy, O'Keefe, Riewoldt, Jonathan Brown, Chapman, Johnson, have all averaged 100+ before
Cloke + Richo, have all gone 95+
it can be done as a forward... and honestly, i think we'll see Jack play more midfield as he gets older. He is a freak of an athlete
he will get to 100 one day

Justin Bieber

Adamant

Quote from: Ricochet on September 23, 2012, 10:13:10 PM
never?? really?
Pavlich, Buddy, O'Keefe, Riewoldt, Jonathan Brown, Chapman, Johnson, have all averaged 100+ before
it can be done as a forward... and honestly, i think we'll see Jack play more midfield as he gets older. He is a freak of an athlete
The only key forwards from that bunch is Pav, Buddy, NRoo, Brown.

Ricochet

Quote from: Adamant on September 23, 2012, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on September 23, 2012, 10:13:10 PM
never?? really?
The only key forwards from that bunch is Pav, Buddy, NRoo, Brown.
Darling is only 191cm....

Shihan7

Still about 1-2 years off from being DT relevant :-\

Phasir

Darling isn't a full forward, he played his u18 carnivals as a midfielder & is likely to get the Q stick's roaming role, averaged over 100 for the first few games of the season until the #1 target in Kennedy went down, having him back now & Jack being more experienced & game ready combined with a better DT role could see him push past 90 quite easily.

Ziplock

yeah dude, in U18 carnival beast players around darlings height can still play mids and carve up- that being said, he's been in the AFL for 2 years now and has been played predominantly forward, mostly because once you go over 190cm, it's really hard to have the on ground skills and agility to be competitive in the midfield, especially one laden with talent like WCE. Darling has good attributes for his size, but at 191cm, only pendles and watson are really comparable in height as midfielders, and both of them are carrying more weight to throw around in the midfield as well.

He'll roam into the mids, but his role looks pretty decent up front as a versatile forward- maybe he'll get some more midfield time in a few years when older WCE mids retire, but atm, I'd doubt it. 

Hagebear

Can't see him averaging anywhere near 100 for a while yet. I can see him averaging 90+ possible in a few years but not sure if he's of the same ilk as NRoo, JBrown, Buddy and Pav.

Ricochet

Agree with both parts of what Phasir said and parts of Zip said.
Darling isnt a key position player. He's 191cm and listed at 91kg (exactly the same height and weight as Pendles btw) and he can play both tall and small. I saw quite a few West Perth games when he was younger and his agility, speed and football maturity for his age is ridiculous. I can easily see him being a midfielder one day, but it won't be next year. Its not that far away though with Kerr and Priddis getting on.

Phasir

don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming he's ever going to be a midfielder, but you can compare his big bodied role to something of what Pavlich played a few years ago, a very high half forward that dominates at stoppages, he's only going to play as the 2nd or 3rd tall with Kennedy there with one of the other developing talls, McKinnies, or Lycett who's apparently taken big strides this pre-season. He's probably not going to develop into that buliking high-half-forward this year, but unless he gets some serious injuries its not too far off.

Andrew

After reading the "training with the midfield comment," I looked at Darling's price for the first time. $364k? With an easy first half of the season? Mmm tempting, wish he was $20-30k cheaper though then I'd be all over him.

elephants

Quote from: Andrew on February 06, 2013, 04:24:15 AM
After reading the "training with the midfield comment," I looked at Darling's price for the first time. $364k? With an easy first half of the season? Mmm tempting, wish he was $20-30k cheaper though then I'd be all over him.

Tell me about it mate. His price tag is too close to guys like Cloke and Sylvia for my liking...

nostradamus

Just an interesting side note for everyone.

ln the Prospectus on page 1 they have the Champion Data awards page, the 1st award on the page is the "Jack Darling Trophy" which is for ranking points each year.

lt has its roots because of Jack having the highest SC scoring game of footy ever recorded 308  ::)  ......which was when he played in the U/16 championships. Over the carnival he played 4 games for an average of 190 pts