Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle Dockers)   - requested by Shihan

Position: Ruck

Price: $438,700 (FanPlanner)

2011 Games: 13

2012 Games: 12

2011 Average: 95

2012 Average: 92.7

2012 Tons: 6

Big games: Sydney (124), Saints (122), Adelaide (113)

Summary:
The big 211 had a disappointing injury-ravaged season in 2012 (Ruck Carnage Year!) Sandi was just one of many of our premium rucks of yesteryear who suffered major injury setbacks. Started the season solidly with a 90 and three straight tons before having a two week setback, before returning for some reasonably disappointing scores (at least for what we expect of him!) Then in round 11 versus the Tiges 211's 'turf toe' once again set in, seeing him miss eight rounds through the middle of the season. This destroyed the season of many coaches, who had brought in the giant for the injured Mumford etc.. Leaving many bitter with his 2012 efforts. Finished the season with three solid scores, but unfortunately Sandi played a few too many games to be eligible for a discount, and so will be priced at an average of 92.4 next season, but in saying that, Sandi will be underpriced, as he would have averaged a flat 100 ppg when you exclude his injury-affected subbing.

Verdict:
Not sure whether I will be starting with this bloke next season. I'm almost positive I will be starting with a 'Premo', Berger (Vardy, 'Rookie') ruck structure next year, and at this point in time I'm leaning towards someone of the calibre of a NicNat, Cox or Maric to start my season. Will definitely come under consideration, as we know just how dominant Sandi can be, as he showed this season with 5 straight games with 40+ hit outs  :o But his (massive) big toe has been very worrying for DT coaches of late, and this is why i probably won't be starting with 211 in 2013.

Predicted 2013 average: 95 (it's not his scoring prowess I'm worried about, its his durability!)

Kellogscrunchynut

As you stated the main issue is durability, but now since he has amputated that turf toe can he put the injuries behind him and have a good season?

Spinking

Good write up Toga.  Final comments summed it up for me. Is still a quality scorer and when fit is in the top handful of Ruckmen in the comp, but knowing it is likely that he will be out for a handful or more games is far from appealing.

henry

How old is he? I'm just wondering whether the likes of Griffin and Clarke may get more time as the #1 ruck next year. Worth considering.

Windigo

Probably won't be getting a gig this year.  :-\

Toga

Quote from: henry on September 13, 2012, 07:20:02 PM
How old is he? I'm just wondering whether the likes of Griffin and Clarke may get more time as the #1 ruck next year. Worth considering.

30 in a few months

Adamant

He's underpriced every year from injuries haha.
Probably not for me...that turf toe is a massive concern.

henry

Quote from: Toga on September 13, 2012, 07:23:32 PM

30 in a few months

Yeah thought he'd be about that... we'll have to see how much ruck time he plays over the NAB cup

Toga

Quote from: henry on September 13, 2012, 07:24:33 PM

30 in a few months

Yeah thought he'd be about that... we'll have to see how much ruck time he plays over the NAB cup

yeah he's getting there, his size just lets him monster opposition rucks though!

still i reckon i'll be going with a less-injury stricken oldy (like cox) or a younger up-and-comer (like NicNat or Maric)

henry

Quote from: Toga on September 13, 2012, 07:28:42 PM
Quote from: henry on September 13, 2012, 07:24:33 PM

30 in a few months

yeah he's getting there, his size just lets him monster opposition rucks though!

still i reckon i'll be going with a less-injury stricken oldy (like cox) or a younger up-and-comer (like NicNat or Maric)
Same with me, looking at naitanui and Burger combo (can I get fries with that...) and Vardy as 3rd ruck.

mx187

Only wish he was'nt so injury prone. Is a gun for sure but just so risky.

I'm thinking deja vu this year with a lot of people riding off the big Cox due his age and the improvement of Nic nat he'll be a POD and with his overall game style will surely score high 90's again.

Would love to pick Sandy but like everyone has said just to prone to injury. (would be hard being one of the tallest players to have ever played AFL)

Awesome write-up.

PS. If it was possible for Sandy to play a whole season he would surely be the best premo ruck in the comp... AVG 100+

Shihan7

Cheers Toga and great write up.

Master Q

Don't think he'll get a spot in my 2013 team unfortunately. Love the bloke  :-*

Adamant

If only injuries werent a concern....would be a lock in everyones rucks.

Ricochet

already got my rucks locked for next year but Sandi isn't in them