Main Menu

John McCarthy tribute match!

Started by KoopKicka, September 11, 2012, 10:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoopKicka

Hi all, please sign this petition to try and get a tribute match played in the NAB cup in Jmac's hometown between Port and the Pies http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nab-cup-tribute-match-to-remember-the-late-jmac/

And share it around! Trying to get 25,000 signatures :)

KoopKicka

keep going guys! 100 and counting! :)

Zombie2.5

Justin Bieber

Tominator

great idea KK, I'll get on it for ya

Personally, I would love to see there be an annual match (hopefully Round 1 for 2013) played on a Friday night between Port and Collingwood, where the winning team gets The John McCarthy Cup or alternatively the John McCarthy Medal for BOG.

Something like that would be a good way to honour the lad. RIP mate.

ossie85

I've signed the petition, but we should be realistic about this. It maybe the unpopular view, but we shouldn't go overboard.

What happened to McCarthy was tragic, and from many accounts a terrific person, but so was Troy Broadbridge. Melbourne honoured Broadbridge at there B&F awards every year, and I expect Port will do something similar. Same for Darren Millane. I think this would be appropriate, because unfortunately he will not be the last AFL player to die while still an active player, we can't have an annual tribute match for every player that does.

KoopKicka

Quote from: ossie85 on September 12, 2012, 03:43:24 PM

I've signed the petition, but we should be realistic about this. It maybe the unpopular view, but we shouldn't go overboard.

What happened to McCarthy was tragic, and from many accounts a terrific person, but so was Troy Broadbridge. Melbourne honoured Broadbridge at there B&F awards every year, and I expect Port will do something similar. Same for Darren Millane. I think this would be appropriate, because unfortunately he will not be the last AFL player to die while still an active player, we can't have an annual tribute match for every player that does.

Agree ossie, but what Im proposing is just for next year. :) I still faintly remember what happened to Broadbridge also, very tragic, maybe as RLGriffen suggested on twitter the game could go hand in hand with alcohol and drug awareness?

AFEV

Signed it. Great idea Troopa, would love to see this happen. :)

nrich102

BB67th

Signed it. Make sure you keep it updated Koop with how many people have signed. Lets hope we can get the 25000 we are after.

KoopKicka

Quote from: BB67th on September 12, 2012, 07:14:22 PM
Signed it. Make sure you keep it updated Koop with how many people have signed. Lets hope we can get the 25000 we are after.

Will do, after a boom yesterday its slowed down today, but still people are signing it :) 224 signatures! :)

BB67th

Quote from: KoopKicka on September 12, 2012, 08:11:41 PM
Quote from: BB67th on September 12, 2012, 07:14:22 PM

Will do, after a boom yesterday its slowed down today, but still people are signing it :) 224 signatures! :)
I'll make sure to do a post on my blog about it sometime soon to drum up some more support.

Hawka

Very true Ossie but would be very nice just for next year

quinny88

This would be a great idea. The only thing stopping it would be the fact that Sorrento ground may not be up to AFL standard. Its certainly not a bad ground but it would have to pass a lot of areas with the facilities and surface etc to be of the AFL standard

Tominator

Quote from: Hawka on September 12, 2012, 09:00:17 PM

Very true Ossie but would be very nice just for next year

I still think a medal would be a great idea for it though, they have matches in honour of deceased cops (St Kilda v Hawthorn) so I think an annual game with the John McCarthy Medal would be a great idea at least for the next few years, but good point of view Ossie  :)