Main Menu

Melbourne 2013

Started by gossiboy, September 11, 2012, 08:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gossiboy

Where do you think Melbourne will finish in 2013?

After doing a bit of research I think we will see drastic improvements in Melbourne next season. They already have some good reasonably young players there such as Sylvia, Frawley , McKenzie, Trengove, Howe, Grimes, Bartram, Jamar, Jones, Watts and Garland but if they play their cards right this draft they could draft 4 future superstars in the upcoming 'superdraft':

Finishing 16th this season means that Melbourne will have pick 3 in the draft but the compensation picks awarded to them for Tom Scully leaving give them a pick after their first pick (would be pick 4 in this draft) and a mid-first round pick (around 15) as well as their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks.

This would leave Melbourne with picks 3,4 and 15 as well as an early pick in the 2nd round in what has been touted as the deepest and most talented draft in history.

We know that Jack Viney is headed to Melbourne and Melbourne should be able to pick him up in the second round; Viney is probably the 3rd best player in this draft behind O'Rourke and Whitfield so if GWS or GC commit to Viney with pick #1 or #2 then Melbourne can call their bluff, forcing them to pick him with 1 or 2 and he will probably request a trade to Melbourne within 3 years anyway. If the Suns or Giants don't commit to pick Viney but other clubs commit to pick him with their first round pick then Melbourne can get the 3rd best player in this draft in the second round (around pick 32).

With Viney going at #32 Melbourne still have picks 3,4 and 15 to bring in 3 other guns; however, I can see Melbourne trading pick 3 or 4 to GWS for the first pick in the mini-draft (probably Matt Crouch, another future gun)

Leaving Melbourne with pick 3 or 4 as well as 15 in addition to Jack Viney and Matt Crouch.

Not too sure on who are the prospective top 15 picks for this draft but I imagine that Vlastuin, Kennedy, Toumpas and Stringer will all be up there.

Melbourne won't challenge for the 8 next season but with their reasonably young, talented core as well as 4 potential superstars on their way (if this all works out the way I've planned for) then we could see Melbourne pushing for a top 4 berth with Grimes and Trengove at the helm in a few years time.

Prediction for next year: 13th.

Note: These are all merely hypotheticals, there is still no guarantee that Melbourne will use their compensation picks in the next draft, but in my opinion they would be stupid not to considering the amount of talent in this draft and that this might be the lowest they finish for a while.

Cicjose

this should be in the Melbourne team board

Justin Bieber

Hard to say. Too early to tell.

Depends who they get. Monfries, Byrnes and others.

Ricochet

i think they will improve but still a fair way off, looking at 14-15

MTTY

On our recruiting I can see the following happening:

Current picks: 3,4,13, 2nd round pick.

Mini draft: pick #4 to GWS for #2 pick ( GC gives pick #2 for mini draft #1)

Mini Draft -

Pick 1 - Jack Martin (GC) - Elite Midfielder
Pick 2 - Jesse Hogan (Melbourne) - Elite KPF

National Draft: Whitfield, Toumpas and Grundy form the top 3 picks. GWS are very keen on Whitfield and Grundy so I can see them taking GC's pick for the mini draft #1 and using it on Grundy and leaving Viney behind.

National Draft -

Pick 1 - Lachie Whitfield (GWS) - Elite Utility/Midfielder

Pick 2 - Brodie Grundy (GWS) - Elite (Ready made) Ruckman

Pick 3 - Jimmy Toumpas (Melbourne) - Elite Utility/Midfielder

Pick 4 - Oliver Wines (GWS) - Elite Midfielder

Pick 5 - Jake Stringer (Western Bulldogs) - KPF

Pick 6 - Dayle Garlett (Western Bulldogs) - Midfielder

Pick 7 - Sam Mayes (Port Adelaide) - Forward/Midfielder

Pick 8 - Mason Shaw (Brisbane) - KPF

Pick 9 - Jonathan O'Rourke (Richmond) - Defender/Midfielder

Pick 10 - Joe Daniher (Essendon) - KPF/Ruck

Pick 11 - Lachie Plowman (Carlton) - KPD

Pick 12 - Nathan Hrovat (St.Kilda) - Midfielder

Pick 13 - Ben Kennedy (Melbourne)

2nd round pick - Jack Viney (Melbourne)

So essentially I believe we will gain - Toumpas, Hogan, Kennedy and Viney which could all form a formidable future Melbourne team (Note I would like for us to try and get Stringer though as I feel Hogan and Stringer could form a very good combo up front.

meow meow

Quote from: gossiboy on September 11, 2012, 08:41:11 PM

Note: These are all merely hypotheticals, there is still no guarantee that Melbourne will use their compensation picks in the next draft, but in my opinion they would be stupid not to considering the amount of talent in this draft and that this might be the lowest they finish for a while.

Clubs have to nominate if they're going to use their picks before the start of the season, and Melbourne will be using their compo picks this year.

The compo picks this year are:

Western Bulldogs - round one selection (compensation for the loss of Callan Ward). To be taken in round one immediately after the 2012 selection of the club.

GWS Giants - round one selection (received from the Adelaide Crows in a trade, after compensation for the loss of Phil Davis). To be taken in round one immediately after the 2012 round one selection of the Adelaide Crows.

Melbourne - round one selection (compensation for the loss of Tom Scully). To be taken in round one immediately after the 2012 round one selection of the club.

Melbourne - mid round one selection (compensation for the loss of Tom Scully). To be taken in round one immediately after the round one selection of the ninth-placed club and before the round one selection of the eighth-placed club.

Brisbane Lions - end round one selection (compensation for the loss of Michael Rischitelli). To be taken at the end of round one immediately after the round one selection of the first-placed club.

Richmond - round two selection (received from Port Adelaide via the Gold Coast Suns in a trade, after compensation for the loss of Nathan Krakouer). To be taken in round two immediately after the 2012 round two selection of Port Adelaide.

Western Bulldogs - round three selection (compensation for the loss of Sam Reid). To be taken in round three immediately after the 2012 round three selection of the club.

Compensation for the loss of free agents is awarded immediately, and can only be taken in the draft of the same year. You're likely to get another pick for Moloney, unless you land someone like Chris Knights who may be classed as having the same value. Compo for free agents is the value of the player you lost minus the value of any players you gain due to free agency.

meow meow

Quote from: MTTY on September 12, 2012, 05:08:39 PM

Pick 10 - Lachie Plowman (Essendon) - KPD

Forgotten about Daniher?

MTTY

Quote from: meow meow on September 12, 2012, 05:30:25 PM

Pick 10 - Lachie Plowman (Essendon) - KPD

Forgotten about Daniher?

Oh totally slipped my mind cheers meow.

gossiboy

Mini Draft -

National Draft: Whitfield, Toumpas and Grundy form the top 3 picks. GWS are very keen on Whitfield and Grundy so I can see them taking GC's pick for the mini draft #1 and using it on Grundy and leaving Viney behind.

National Draft -

So essentially I believe we will gain - Toumpas, Hogan, Kennedy and Viney which could all form a formidable future Melbourne team (Note I would like for us to try and get Stringer though as I feel Hogan and Stringer could form a very good combo up front.

With the mini-draft and Gold Coast's trading do you think that Martin will be a better player than say Toumpas or Grundy?  Also where would you project Daniher to be selected if he wasn't already on his way to Essendon?

MTTY

Quote from: gossiboy on September 12, 2012, 05:39:49 PM

Mini Draft -

National Draft -

With the mini-draft and Gold Coast's trading do you think that Martin will be a better player than say Toumpas or Grundy?  Also where would you project Daniher to be selected if he wasn't already on his way to Essendon?

Yes I do indeed think Martin will be better than Toumpad but with Grundy and Martin its like comparing apples to oranges. Top 2 with Whitfield if Daniher was not a F/S.

tbagrocks

if only the recruiters thought this way and Toumpas made his way to the Crows,

oh, and if they do get pick 2 from the Suns for Tippo then the Crows will have Jimmy Toumpas with that pick ;D

quinny88

You say they will make drastic improvement then predict they will finish 13th thats not exactly drastic improvement

This is a good write up as to why they will be good in 3 years time not that they will improve next year. They could get picks 1,2 &3  but it wouldnt help them much next season. Draft picks take time, there are very few that are guns from the very start and will impact a team to drasticly improve