Port Adelaide Player Dies in Vegas

Started by Ricochet, September 10, 2012, 01:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

this really is sad sad news, thoughts are with the family and club
-----
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/australian-sportsman-in-serious-incident-in-las-vegas/story-e6frf7jo-1226470914423?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HeraldSunAfl+%28Herald+Sun+%7C+AFL%29

PORT Adelaide has confirmed that it believes one of its players has died in an incident in Las Vegas.

The player was one of about a dozen Power players who had left for Las Vegas after the club's best-and-fairest night on Friday night.

He was holidaying in the gambling mecca, but was found by police only hours ago.

With police still trying to reach family to inform them of the tragedy, a name has not yet been released.

But Port Adelaide players have already been called together for a briefing on the incident.

It is believed he was staying at the Flamingo Hotel.
Seven Port Adelaide players went to Las Vegas as a group.

Port Adelaide’s statement confirmed that investigations were continuing into the nature of the death.

"The Port Adelaide Football Club has been informed that an Australian man who has died in Las Vegas is believed to be one of its players," it read.

"At this point, the club is unable to confirm the identity of the player involved in this tragedy as family members are still being informed.

A group from the Port Adelaide playing group left Adelaide on Saturday for a holiday. The club is in contact with members of the travelling group and is working with U.S. authorities while investigations continue.

"Port Adelaide general manager (football) Peter Rohde is on his way to the United States to be with the players. The club has also made contact with its other players still in Australia."

The football world has been rocked by the incident, as has the player’s close-knit football community.

It is known that while his immediate family has been informed about the death, his wider family is still being informed.

Port players Cameron Hitchcock, Daniel Stewart, David Rodan, Jay Schulz and Danyle Pearce have arrived at the club.

------

club statement is here
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6038/newsid/147307/default.aspx

-----

will try and find more info as it comes out

LF

Holy shower wonder who it is.
So sad thoughts with his family,friends and the club

Nails

It is believed to be John McCarthy :(

He feature in my dreamteam earlier this year :( R.I.P. :(

Dudge

So sad, life can change in a blink of a eye.Feeling for his family and freinds R.I.P

Cicjose

Grazz

Terrible news, RIP John. Deepest sympathy to all the family and freinds.

Aaron8

Such a tragedy. Thoughts go out to Family,Friends & Port Adelaide for their loss :( R.I.P

KoopKicka

Such a tradegy, so shocked right now, RIP John :'(

Jroo

Quote from: Aaron8 on September 10, 2012, 02:36:12 PM
Such a tragedy. Thoughts go out to Family,Friends & Port Adelaide for their loss :( R.I.P
+1 suck shocking news, I felt sick when I heard it  :'( :'(

KoopKicka

yorgis

sad, sad, sad news R.I.P. Macca. Deepest sympathy to family and friends

LaHug

Quote from: KoopKicka on September 10, 2012, 03:29:15 PM
Rumour is he jumped off his balcony.
That would be horrible! I really hope that this is just a rumour. Today is meant to be Suicide Awareness Day (for those that didn't know) so we can only hope it wasn't something so tragic!

Jukes

I have been lead to believe it was John McCarthy and he fell off his balcony, don't think it was suicide just an accident.

Adamant

RIP John  :'(
shocking news, thoughts with his family.

EZA100

rip john, such bad news respect and thoughts are with his family and the club